Cycling for a not very fit person!

Options
Hi Guys,

I've lost about 15kg over the last year or so (thanks mfp!), almost completely due to restricting calories as I am not one for exercising. I run 5km once or twice a week and I do a yoga class a week. I also walk a lot just because I enjoy it - maybe 30mins a day so nothing strenuous.

On a recent holiday I did a lot of hiking and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to keep up with some of my fitter friends! I guess I was on a high from this, because some of them convinced me to join them in a charity cycle this September. The cycle is 135km and it's in Ireland so expect lots of hills. The aim is to start at 7am and finish at 5pm.

I'm seriously worried now that I've bit off more than I can chew! As I said, I don't consider myself a fit person. I can ride a bike but haven't done any proper cycling in years, and I'm can't remember ever doing any that long.

I'm getting access to a bike next week and I can start training then, but is it realistic to build to 135km in a couple of months?

Feedback very much appreciated!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If I were in your shoes, I'd work on getting as much time in the saddle (on the bike) as I could, and not worry so much about actual miles/kilometers. Charity rides are often so well supported and so informal that it becomes more about whether or not you can sit on a bike for 6 hrs rather than if you can do the distance.

Additionally, more time on the bike will necessarily translate to more conditioning/endurance/distance. So that's where I'd start - with my focus on time on the bike moreso than actual distance.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i haven't done it - but this is an 8 weeks to a century ride training plan - knowing that 135km is abot 90 miles - you will be in the ballpark:

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20026691/eight-week-training-plan-to-ride-a-century/
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the previous posters, it's definitely achievable. But you will need to work on comfort on the bike, longer ride will tend to teach you about muscles you never knew existed. My first long ride this spring was a reminder after being off my bike all fall/winter.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I did a similar ride without any training and being overweight. It was 190 km over 2 days. As mentioned, charity rides are usually well run, with lots of scheduled breaks (the one I did had rest stops every 15 km or so).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    bronaghCPM wrote: »
    I'm getting access to a bike next week and I can start training then, but is it realistic to build to 135km in a couple of months?
    Your running will have given you have a decent fitness base so a lot of it is just down to time in the saddle and progressively extending your duration and distance. I think 8 weeks is definitely possible to achieve your goal.

I followed a British Heart Foundation plan for Century rides and it worked very well.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/training-zone/cycling-training-zone/cycling-training-schedule

• johnmtrendler
    johnmtrendler Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @bronaghCPM so, how's it going? Got a bike? Make sure the bike fits you - you can have a shop or someone knowledgeable go over some of the ways to adjust the bike to fit you better if need be (saddle height, fore/aft, stem height, etc.) Riding? Gradually increase miles, don't over exert yourself
    You got this!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Get some BIKE SHORTS! Especially if you aren't used to riding a bike. The first time I took a spin class I could barely sit on the seat the next class (which was two days later). So building up to being to sit on a bike seat is key

The training plan that @sijomial looks good way to build up; however it makes no mention of pace....... Perhaps after you have been riding a bit you can join you friends on a easy ride and see what the pace is like.

Or ask around about what variation people have for pace in the previous charity rides. In spin class they go on about 80 rpms being a comfortable flat road and that took me quite a while to work towards. For a charity ride, I'd imagine there will be groups going different speeds, but it is worthwhile to check out if you are able to pedal within that range or put in a plan to get there if you aren't already
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Me and hubby did a 100k charity ride in Ireland a couple of years ago. I do lots of short rides on my bike and spin classes, he did mainly gym bike and we got out for maybe 3 rides that were over 20 miles (and there are no real hills here!) We did the event in about 6 and a half hours. As above, get lots of saddle time, get used to how it feels. Be prepared for the fact the weather is likely to be bad -it's Ireland! Our event was end August -gusty winds, about 12 degrees for some parts and a lot of rain. Make sure you fuel yourself properly before and during the ride. I needed some medical attention at the end but that was because my body is weird and I got very cold. Next day felt a bit tired but muscles weren't as bad as I was expecting. Main aches were my wrists from learning too heavily on the handlebars! You can definately do this. Keep us posted.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    bronaghCPM wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've lost about 15kg over the last year or so (thanks mfp!), almost completely due to restricting calories as I am not one for exercising. I run 5km once or twice a week and I do a yoga class a week. I also walk a lot just because I enjoy it - maybe 30mins a day so nothing strenuous.

On a recent holiday I did a lot of hiking and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to keep up with some of my fitter friends! I guess I was on a high from this, because some of them convinced me to join them in a charity cycle this September. The cycle is 135km and it's in Ireland so expect lots of hills. The aim is to start at 7am and finish at 5pm.

I'm seriously worried now that I've bit off more than I can chew! As I said, I don't consider myself a fit person. I can ride a bike but haven't done any proper cycling in years, and I'm can't remember ever doing any that long.

Feedback very much appreciated!

Jumping from walking 30 min a day to cycling 135 km in a couple months could be a challenge.

However ...

First, make sure that the bicycle is set up correctly for you. Make absolutely sure the fit is right.

Second, in your first week, ride every other day while you get used to being in the saddle. You'll probably only want to ride 30 minutes or so.

Third, you will want to get good cycling shorts with padding that covers your sitbones. You will likely also want a wicking T-shirt or cycling jersey.

Fourth, mix it up.

So, for example ... after riding every other day for the first week ...

On the weekend get out for a 10 km ride on Saturday and 5 km on Sunday.
    During the week, make sure you're off the bicycle (and walking) at least one day, perhaps 2.
    You might opt to run your 5 km another day.
    On another day, do hill repeats or intervals to work on speed and strength.
    And do a mid-length casual ride ... say, 7 km.

Next weekend ... go for a 15 km ride on Saturday and 10 km on Sunday.
    Repeat what you did during the previous week, with a mid-length casual ride of 12 km.

Next weekend ... go for a 20 km ride on Saturday and a 15 km on Sunday.
    Repeat what you did during the previous week, with a slightly longer mid-length casual ride.

And so on ... just keep gradually building up. You might need to pick up the pace after those first few weeks.

What you're aiming for is to reach at least 2/3 of your goal distance of 135 km 2 weeks before your event. In other words, at least a 90 km ride 2 weeks before your 135 km ride. That will give you the chance to ease up a bit just before the event.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I echo the above .... fitness wise you should be fine, go at a comfortable pace and make sure you eat enough !

where you are likely to struggle is comfort on the bike. 6hrs can cripple you if you havent been on a bike for a while, so try and get as much saddle time between now and then as you can.

consider getting a new saddle (woman specific), get cycling shorts, get gloves (you can bruise hands on bars) ... make sure your bike is set up to fit you well .. correct saddle height, knees tracking over the pedal, handlebars at the correct reach ... any little niggle you have at the beginning can be agony by the end.

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I'll save all the wise tips and advice for the other posters. I started this year with a new bike and an old, tired body. Now the bike has some miles and the body improved. Keep at it, gradual progress.

fauzjzg28vkr.png

Good luck on your training, and your ride. There's a guy in the UK training for a Mallorca holiday later this year, posting his progress on youtube, leonardmlee: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEuC2TeojJTwX0yfPmGFiWA
    For him, it's not all in a smooth progression. His efforts resonate enough with me that I follow his videos each week.
  • aoifem20
    aoifem20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You will fall in love with cycling - I certainly did! Thankfully it's nowhere near as difficult as running because you plenty of breaks on the downhill sections.. here is some advice:

1. Buy cycling shorts (Sports Direct, Aldi & Lidl) often have cheap ones
    2. Get a road bike (they practically cycle themselves). DoneDeal/Facebook have cheap ones for €200ish. Just make sure they are the right size (I ride a small frame and I'm 5ft 3
    3. Get the bike fitted properly (bring your bike in for a service and ask them to do a fitting)
    4. Put two water bottle cages on the bike- with the weather we are having atm you'll need it!
    5. Start off at about 20km flat and work up by 5-10kms a week, adding some hills along the way.

I'm not sure where in Ireland you live but there are lovey flat cycles near Clontarf or Skerries -Laytown -Drogheda. Add some hills in a few weeks near the sally gap or Naul...

The very best of luck!!