Struggling to maintain (still losing).....

Options

Replies

• caffcyc
    caffcyc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Increased carbs a bit, and decreased protein. Bumped up calories too. I will try this for the next week or two.

7bueyykbxahx.png
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    caffcyc wrote: »
    Increased carbs a bit, and decreased protein. Bumped up calories too. I will try this for the next week or two.

7bueyykbxahx.png

I eat 1.3grams pro as well. Remember, protein has a slightly higher tef. Same with fiber. I am a protein, veggies, and fruit kinda guy myself. So that could be some of your issue. Best of luck my man!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about an unexpected weight loss, and all else is the same, maybe you should call your doctor...just in case.
  • caffcyc
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    If you are concerned about an unexpected weight loss, and all else is the same, maybe you should call your doctor...just in case.

I am no where near that concerned.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    If you're still losing weight, it's because you're still eating at a deficit, you need to eat more.

I must be burning more than I was, because I held my weight for nearly 3 months, and then suddenly dropped 3lbs, didn't change anything.

I had the same experience when I first hit maintenance but for me it was 2 months maintaining and started to lose weight steadily for no apparent reason. Best guess as mentioned already was that my NEAT was a little suppressed by a period of dieting.

For comparison I'm 5'9, 168lbs, cycle about 500 miles a month, lift x3 a week and since retirement from a desk job my activity level has shot up. Probably eating around 3000 cals a day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    100 calories/hour is about all that I can eat while riding without feeling like I am eating too much (or feeling sick). Most of my rides are 3-4 hours. So on a ride day I will eat my normal 2200, plus 3-400 while riding, plus an additional 5-600 during the day. My best estimates put me at burning about 400 calories/hour on my normal rides.

I will up everything by 200 cal/day for a few weeks and see what happens. Thanks.

Ah - I misunderstood.
    If I just fuel my long rides from sports drinks and/or carb gels I get a queasy stomach.
    Eating soreen malt loaf or cereal bars hourly usefully bumps my calories up and keeps my stomach feeling good. I aim for about 320cals an hour on long distance rides or events.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Very good feedback, helpful for me too!
  • caffcyc
    Options
    Almost been a week, it seems like my weight has leveled out in the 142-143 range, but too soon to really tell.

I am up to 3200ish on ride days (still feeling great), but struggling to eat more than 2200 on off days. Pretty much eat every 2 hours and never feel hungry as it is. I have already switched to more calorie dense food (just went up to 5% yogurt from 4%, which I changed from non-fat a while back).

I tried adding olive oil or coconut oil to some of my cooking, but the greasiness doesn't really agree with me.

Usually around 10AM I have a piece of fruit, which I changed to fruit and kale smoothie to try and cheat in an extra 100 calories, but started getting the spike/crash feeling around 11, so I am going back to just eating the fruit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Almost been a week, it seems like my weight has leveled out in the 142-143 range, but too soon to really tell.

I am up to 3200ish on ride days (still feeling great), but struggling to eat more than 2200 on off days. Pretty much eat every 2 hours and never feel hungry as it is. I have already switched to more calorie dense food (just went up to 5% yogurt from 4%, which I changed from non-fat a while back).

I tried adding olive oil or coconut oil to some of my cooking, but the greasiness doesn't really agree with me.

Usually around 10AM I have a piece of fruit, which I changed to fruit and kale smoothie to try and cheat in an extra 100 calories, but started getting the spike/crash feeling around 11, so I am going back to just eating the fruit.

peanut butter is my usual answer to needing more calories.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You could also add some chocolate chips and/ or granola to your yogurt snacks :wink:
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    bunnyluv19 wrote: »
    You could also add some chocolate chips and/ or granola to your yogurt snacks :wink:

Get some nice crunchy granola and dump that into a bowl and put the yogurt on top

Dollop some almond butter or pb , sprinkle with chocolate chips

= Easy 600-700 calories snack/meal

Seem like too much food cut back on the yogurt and bump up the granola
  • caffcyc
    Options
    I made some sweet potato fries today in coconut oil. Should be good for an extra 300 or so.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currently 153# (based on trend), 151 (actual wt today after 8 hrs in the sun yesterday.). Started maintenance at 160 twenty months ago and wt has slowly but steadily dropped.

Maintenance cals started at 2k, dropped to 1650 and rose to 1800. 6 months ago, I started to row 10k meters/day in an hr a day which burns 550 cals a day and upped food intake to 2350 a day to net it out to 1800.

This allows me to eat more, feel less hungry and eat more protein and other nutrients. My ave protein intake is about 1.1g per #BW which is not that high but I need to eat more just to maintain this rate of intake.

I intentionally eat less than my cal goal everyday, so it's no surprise that I've continued to lose weight but I still like what I see in the mirror and am not concerned about it but I think 150 will be my red line.

As I've learned, maintainance is a process of constant adjustment.
  • caffcyc
    Options
    I threw in a few days at 2500, but consistently I am full at 2200. My ride days are a mess, 2800-3200, but I am burning 1500-2500 while riding. I'm going to hold this pattern for another 3 weeks and see where I am.
  • caffcyc
    Options
    I've switched some protein out for carbs and haven't had the drained feeling in a while. 25F/45C/30P or there abouts, still 2200-2300 calories. Seems like I am back to maintaining as well (2lbs less than I was before though).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I threw in a few days at 2500, but consistently I am full at 2200. My ride days are a mess, 2800-3200, but I am burning 1500-2500 while riding. I'm going to hold this pattern for another 3 weeks and see where I am.

if you are only eating 2200 calories and burning 1500-2500(if accurate) then you are burning more than you are taking in so yes weight loss will occur.you arent even netting 700 calories(if eating 3200 and burning 2500) and if you are 2 lbs less than you were before you arent really maintaining unless its a normal fluctuation. on days you are eating 3200 and burning 1500 thats a net of 1700 calories. which would be a deficit for most people.I agree with giving it time. but you probably wont maintain burning more than you are taking in most days.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    The red flag is that you feel drained and tired. That isn't good. You need to eat some fruit and carbs .. I bet you'll feel a whole lot better . Listen to your body, and don't focus on the restrictive eating that it took to lose your weight. /Think healthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Probably feeling like kitten again. You're eating too little still
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such great advice here, hope it helps!!!