Resisting binging while stressed

Options
Hey all,

I’ve been using MFP to lose weight pretty consistently since January this year. I’m now really close to reaching my weight loss goal. But this month work has been extremely stressful. Plus we recently moved to a new floor. My team has a snack table filled with junk and it’s now right in front of my desk.

Between the stress and constantly staring at junk food all day, it’s been really hard to resist binging. Plus once I start eating junk it often triggers a binge later in the day.

So then I feel like I’m a total failure at work, and to top that off I’m also failing at losing weight. That only increases my anxiety. I know emotional eating is unhealthy but it’s often the only way I end up feeling better.

Does anyone know any good techniques to stop binging while anxious? I go for a walk everyday at work when I feel nervous the first time but I often panic multiple times per day. Or does anyone have a good tactic for avoiding food that’s staring you in the face all day? Is there some way to make it unappealing?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why there's a snack table at your workplace? At the very least, can you ask to have it moved?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can either the snack table or your desk be moved? That seems very unfair to have to live with. If you must coexist with the snack table, can you lobby for food you are able to fit into your goals?
  • bleepboop8422
    bleepboop8422 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I work in IT so most of my team consists of a bunch of tall skinny men. They really enjoy the snacks so I’d feel very bad about moving it to a move inconvenient place. We usually get fruit as well as candy but the fruit is gone usually pretty quickly. Is there any non perishable cheap low calorie snack? I thought about asking for seaweed but it can be a little expensive.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I think I would ask for more fruit. If everyone is eating fruit when it's available there should be more.
  • jbauer0010
    jbauer0010 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nuts.com has great healthy-ish snacks. I think we got 120 individual snacks for around 100 bucks. You can look online at them. The guys here love them and are always asking me to get more
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you at work, but I pace. Constantly. I used to be a big stress eater, but I have noticed lately that I don't eat when I am stressed. When I posted about this, someone pointed out, it might be because I found a more productive way of dealing with the stress.

I caught myself walking round and round the building, sometimes wringing my hands. I have to consciously remind myself to stop the hand-wringing, but I realized that was why I wasn't eating. I had replaced stress binge eating with pacing almost constantly, unless required to do something sedentary.
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We have a weekly fruit delivery and some of us bring in healthy snacks to share. I had the same problem and told them to move it as I was avoiding these types of foods. I find a walk round the building or taking 10 minutes in a quiet corner to relax and switch off helps.
  • bleepboop8422
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Bringing in healthy snacks to share sounds like a really good idea, especially since my coworkers all like fruit. Also I never thought of using fidgeting as a way to relieve stress. Since I work at a computer I can’t get anything done if I’m out on a walk but maybe jiggling my leg while I keep typing could help. I also like the idea of taking a quick break in a corner to relax.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Seek some counseling.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals out and maybe eat every 3.5-4 hours so that you have eaten and aren't grabbing things because you are stressed and hungry. Or make sure your regular lunch is a good one with nutritional value, so that if you ever do grab a snack you have one and aren't binging on it. If I don't plan my meals or have them with me, I definitely am more likely to grab whatever happens to be around.

Maybe keep a protein bar on you so that you can make a better choice if you really need something?

I get extreme anxiety. Exercising in the morning is probably what helps me the most with stress and anxiety. I personally like high intensity/good sweat as I need that adrenaline burn and get endorphins flowing. I like the feeling of mentally and physically challenging my body, it is good for my stress relief. I find if I do that, it helps me better cope with stress and anxiety in my day. And also eat better too because I don't want to undo all the good things my body did that morning.
  • kdillon606
    kdillon606 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The computer chairs we have rock back a certain amount so when i'm anxious or really focused, i tend to rock in my chair for long periods of time. I also have a lot of stress balls so i always have something to do with my hands because I am mostly a boredom eater and fidget-er if it slows down at work as I too have to stay at my desk.

You can do it OP!
  • HeyJudii
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Bringing in healthy snacks to share sounds like a really good idea, especially since my coworkers all like fruit. Also I never thought of using fidgeting as a way to relieve stress. Since I work at a computer I can’t get anything done if I’m out on a walk but maybe jiggling my leg while I keep typing could help. I also like the idea of taking a quick break in a corner to relax.

Fidgeting helps.
    If possible, put your desk in the center of your workspace (office or cubicle). (Our computer wires were placed in these column-like poles, so we don't have to worry about tripping over them.) Then when you feel the stress building, take a couple of brisk walks around your desk, shake your hands, wiggle your fingers, stretch your arms up as high as you can reach. If you are allowed to play music, and can work with it on, put on cardio-dance music and work to the rhythm and/or chair dance.

(There is a thread about NEAT that I got these tips from.)

• bleepboop8422
    Options
    Using stress balls is an excellent idea. Do you have a link to the thread on increasing NEAT?

By the way I just want to really thank everyone who replied. These ideas are all really helpful. Plus, I’ve never posted in the community before but it makes me feel less alone to hear about others who struggle with anxious eating. Knowing that you guys can overcome this fills me with hope! :smiley:
  • HeyJudii
    Options
    Using stress balls is an excellent idea. Do you have a link to the thread on increasing NEAT?

By the way I just want to really thank everyone who replied. These ideas are all really helpful. Plus, I’ve never posted in the community before but it makes me feel less alone to hear about others who struggle with anxious eating. Knowing that you guys can overcome this fills me with hope! :smiley:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • Jmuhl0329
    Jmuhl0329 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have had the same issue. Good all day...until I see cookies on the table from a party or some other snack...I try to distract myself with something else...listen to music, go to pool, go to gym...I feel my best after working out (cardio/treadmill/bike). When done the workout, I log the calories burned and my mindset goes back to, “don’t you ruin all your work and sweat.”