Want to become a pescetarian

Options
I am thinking about becoming a pescetarian. I did want to try to become a vegetarian but I don't want to give up sushi. The reasons I want to do it because I think it's healthier since cutting down choices of eating meat, I will eat more vegetables. Also, the cost will be lower. I want some advice on becoming a pescetarian. Anything I need to eat more to replace the nutritions that I get from meat. Should I start taking multivitamin? Anything i need to look out for in terms of products that are made with meat beside seafood that most people don't know about. I am open to any kinds of advice or suggestion.
Thank you

Replies

• mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pescetarian, but I do have restrictions on where I can eat meat at (kind of like kosher restrictions)... so the only thing I can eat everywhere I go are veggies and seafood. There is a lot to watch out for...there are many soups that look vegetarian that are made using meat broths, most things with gelatin in them use pork or meat gelatin (like pudding, many brands of yogurt, jello, etc), many premade canned beans (like refried or baked) use some sort of meat (usually pork) base. Even garden salsa sun chips has some sort of meat flavoring. I personally am pretty strict, but some things, like yogurt, I just can't help--and some brands do use non-animal derived gelatin, like Brown Cow, Stonyfield Farms, Cascade Farms and Nancy's.

But otherwise, fish and seafood in general is a great source of protein and good fats, and I don't think you would need to supplement it much, especially if you eat an otherwise well rounded diet. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    lol

i love how people think they will be missing something by giving up meat. there are no nutrients in meat you cant get from a vegetarian diet. without any supps.

yes, as you go along you'll learn what is 'ok' to eat and what isnt. anything that is animal flavored is a no (thanksgiving stuffing), anything that has gelatin in it is a no (some yogurts, marshmellows, jello), any cheese or dairy that has rennet in it is a no. some pasta sauces use fish, beware of omega fatty acids many are fish based, worcestershire sauce is a no. go to a vegetarian website and you'll learn a lot.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian too. I gave up meat 7 years ago..............can't give up fish tho (although hubby insists fish is meat). Must admit, I've never felt healthier......rarely get colds or get ill. I take a multi-vit, Vitamin C & fish oil tablet every day. I never eat meat substitutes such as Quorn of tofu.....they don't really appeal & have managed so far without them. There are a lot of meat-free options available....nut cutlets, cauliflower cheese grills, etc. My diary is open if you want to take a peek (I warn you.....some days it is rather shocking :wink: )

Sue :smile: x
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pescetarian, but I do have restrictions on where I can eat meat at (kind of like kosher restrictions)... so the only thing I can eat everywhere I go are veggies and seafood. There is a lot to watch out for...there are many soups that look vegetarian that are made using meat broths, most things with gelatin in them use pork or meat gelatin (like pudding, many brands of yogurt, jello, etc), many premade canned beans (like refried or baked) use some sort of meat (usually pork) base. Even garden salsa sun chips has some sort of meat flavoring. I personally am pretty strict, but some things, like yogurt, I just can't help--and some brands do use non-animal derived gelatin, like Brown Cow, Stonyfield Farms, Cascade Farms and Nancy's.

But otherwise, fish and seafood in general is a great source of protein and good fats, and I don't think you would need to supplement it much, especially if you eat an otherwise well rounded diet. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

I am working on becoming an alkalarian. It's 70-80% alkalizing foods, such as green vegetables. No grains, pastas, seeds, fruit... Pretty much just vegetables. There are a lot of alkalarians who do eat fruit because it does have an alkalizing effect on the body, but the sugar in the body feeds microforms that can cause disease. Fish is acceptable too in the "acidic" category. the 20% of your diet.

Whatever you chose to do. Make sure you don't turn in to a 300lbs vegetarian. Eating cookies, and soda, and chips, and just junk... there are a ton of vegetarians who are unhealthy.
  • pancake_26
    Options
    mghane,
    Thank you for your help. I didn't know about the vegetable soup and yogurts have meat products in them. That's helpful information. I don't eat out much, so that's something I am going to look out for. Thank you! :)
  • pancake_26
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian too. I gave up meat 7 years ago..............can't give up fish tho (although hubby insists fish is meat). Must admit, I've never felt healthier......rarely get colds or get ill. I take a multi-vit, Vitamin C & fish oil tablet every day. I never eat meat substitutes such as Quorn of tofu.....they don't really appeal & have managed so far without them. There are a lot of meat-free options available....nut cutlets, cauliflower cheese grills, etc. My diary is open if you want to take a peek (I warn you.....some days it is rather shocking :wink: )

Sue :smile: x

Haha, I can't give up fish too or any kinds of seafood. I think I might start taking some mutivitamine as well. I never heard of Quorn. I do like the morningstar patties. I will take a look at your diary for some suggestions. I know we all have some off days. You can see from my past two days. I was relocating, all I ate was fast food and steaks ( I think the steaks are the reason for me to want to becoming a pescatarian, my head and stomach hurt everytime after I ate them)
    Thank you for your help!
  • pancake_26
    Options
    Portexploit,
    I hope I won't becoming 300 pounds, that mean gaining 165 pounds for me. I gave up cookies for 6 months and I don't eat chips or drink soda (even diet) I do know there are alot of food that could make me gain weight though. (I love rice too much)
    Btw I never heard of the alkalarian diet, I did googled it, it sounds pretty restricted.
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I became a pescetarian in 04 and the hardest part was Thanksgiving taht year!! But, after I got comfortable I noticed that I didn't get that bloated/heavy feeling that I used to get after eating beef/chicken. One thing to look out for is chicken stock/broth you would be surprised at the amount of "vegetarian" items that contain it! I am in LOVE with Morningstar Farms products, they have so much variety, the only downside is they have a bunch of sodium so I have to watch out for that. Check out my diary
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you're eating fish, dairy and eggs, you should be OK nutrient-wise. You might want to watch your iron and make sure you're getting enough of that. A supplement might be a good idea.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm a a pesce, I love it and I will eat this way for the rest of my life. I eat a variety of foods and get all the nutrients I need that way. If you want you can friend me, my diary is always open to friends and I keep track of everything I eat if you want some ideas.
  • pancake_26
    Options
    I became a pescetarian in 04 and the hardest part was Thanksgiving taht year!! But, after I got comfortable I noticed that I didn't get that bloated/heavy feeling that I used to get after eating beef/chicken. One thing to look out for is chicken stock/broth you would be surprised at the amount of "vegetarian" items that contain it! I am in LOVE with Morningstar Farms products, they have so much variety, the only downside is they have a bunch of sodium so I have to watch out for that. Check out my diary

Thank you for the info. I will look out for the chicken broth. I think I will miss chicken alot since I put that in my salad alot. I am gonna replace that with tuna fish now. I will check out your diary for more info. :)
  • pancake_26
    Options
    I'm a a pesce, I love it and I will eat this way for the rest of my life. I eat a variety of foods and get all the nutrients I need that way. If you want you can friend me, my diary is always open to friends and I keep track of everything I eat if you want some ideas.

Thank you! :)
  • pancake_26
    Options
    If you're eating fish, dairy and eggs, you should be OK nutrient-wise. You might want to watch your iron and make sure you're getting enough of that. A supplement might be a good idea.

Thank you, I will look into some multivitamin!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Thank you for the info. I will look out for the chicken broth. I think I will miss chicken alot since I put that in my salad alot. I am gonna replace that with tuna fish now. I will check out your diary for more info. :)
    Egg whites are a good sub for protein in a salad, as well. Or even tofu. A good dressing helps with taste if you miss the chicken. I LOVE Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar. A tablespoon covers and entire salad and there's nothing funky in it.
  • pancake_26
    Options

Egg whites are a good sub for protein in a salad, as well. Or even tofu. A good dressing helps with taste if you miss the chicken. I LOVE Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar. A tablespoon covers and entire salad and there's nothing funky in it.

I love egg whites! I will check out the Newman salad dressing. I made some dressing with greek yogurt and green onion today, it was pretty good. I think I did well for the first day. I cooked some chicken and steak for my family, but I just cook myself some fish.
    I got some veggie burger so I don't have to eat seafood everyday.
  • Ameliadeitz
    Ameliadeitz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pancake,

I encourage your switch! When I went vegetarian years ago, the pounds practically fell off me! Like others have said, if you're being strict with it, check everything for meat products, they hide in everything (to give you an idea, the baked bbq Lays have chicken fat in them, for whatever reason!) As far as nutrition, you gotta play it by ear; it all depends on what you regularly eat. In my ten years, I've never been deficient in my nutrition levels without taking supplements, but I do know some people who need to take them.

If you're missing chicken, hunt down Gardein (may be labeled different at other stores...the Ralphs one is called "It's All Good" or something), it's a pretty darn good substitute for chicken. If you have a Whole Foods around ya, ask them about it!

Goodluck!