Logging food today to eat tomorrow

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    I had something after my fitness class at 6pm I think my diary shows well enough that I do eat some of my "earned" calories back

I haven't looked in your diary, just going by you saying you don't like to eat more than your calorie goal, so I presumed when you said you didn't log it yesterday or eat it today that you hadn't eaten the exercise calories back?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    I had something after my fitness class at 6pm I think my diary shows well enough that I do eat some of my "earned" calories back

I haven't looked in your diary, just going by you saying you don't like to eat more than your calorie goal, so I presumed when you said you didn't log it yesterday or eat it today that you hadn't eaten the exercise calories back?

Never said I don't like to eat more than my calorie goal :/ I said I didn't like eating after a certain time so yes I had 800 left over when I went to bed wasn't hungry not going to eat for the sake of it
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    So I've got about 800 calories left after exercise but I don't like eating after a certain time can I log food on today's date and eat it tomorrow? Do people do that?

No need to manipulate it that way. Your energy intake/expenditure doesn't have some weird clock that resets on a daily basis. Some days you'll eat more, some days less. If you're logging it, be accurate with the when and what.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    I tend to look not only at my daily net calories, but also weekly net calories. There are some days where I will eat over my net goal for the day and other I will be stay under. Especially on my long run days I can sometimes net below 1000, but I usually make up for that on my walk/rest/recovery days and my net will be closer to my goal for the day. In the end my weekly average is around 1200-1100 for the week. I wouldn't stress about it to much, I to don't like to eat past 8/8:30 pm for the simple reason it may keep me up at night.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    The OP does have a history of doing the opposite - overeating and then trying to restrict the following days to make up for it - so that’s why people are questioning her methodology.
    Her exercise burns do seem inflated as well.

Whether you bank your calories in advance or pay them off after a big meal or day is just a preference. I prefer to bank myself but that is what is right for me.

I haven't looked at her diary because she didn't ask me to offer an opinion so I don't know anything about her exercise burns/calories. If anything she would be overeating not undereating so there is no health risk there.

She asked a fairly simple question. I really don't understand why anyone is getting up in her business if there is no danger of a health risk. It is certainly none of my business.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    So I've got about 800 calories left after exercise but I don't like eating after a certain time can I log food on today's date and eat it tomorrow? Do people do that?

I do this a lot. But mine is more so in terms of eating too much one day and logging it onto the next so that I make sure I eat a lot stricter to follow it up. Same end result.
  • TavistockToad

Never said I don't like to eat more than my calorie goal :/ I said I didn't like eating after a certain time so yes I had 800 left over when I went to bed wasn't hungry not going to eat for the sake of it

You said you don't like seeing the numbers go red
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    My activity level is set to sedentary since outside of intentional exercise iam sedentary I never said the 800 calories was purely from my kickboxing class. But it doesn't matter now I didn't log what I was going to eat and didn't have it today either and now Fitbit is being a dick again not syncing

So you just didn't eat, because of what the color of the number on your phone or computer screen would be?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP if I recall you have a history of obsessing about the minutiae and binge/restrict cycles - because of that I would be cautious about leaving so many calories on the table and just not eating them at any point - the day you did the exercise or later in the week so that the weekly average is at your net goal.

The FitBit sync issues have been frustrating for sure but you’ve been using the device for a while, you should have a good idea of what your average burn is and what the typical adjustment is with MFP for that level of activity - you can just eat a reasonable amount of those calories and not worry about the red numbers - when the two systems start working again they will adjust and your numbers will be back on track.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2018
    Looking at your diary, if I was in your position I'd change my activity levels. You are clearly not "sedentary" from the amount of extra calories you seem to be gaining from exercise, even if as you say you don't trust your Fitbit readings it's still a hefty adjustment. I was in the same boat but after @WinoGelato suggested a few changes for my setting, my readings were much more realistic.

This is why you believe you are earning 800plus calories from the exercise you do.
  • WinoGelato
    LW3380 wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, if I was in your position I'd change my activity levels. You are clearly not "sedentary" from the amount of extra calories you seem to be gaining from exercise, even if as you say you don't trust your Fitbit readings it's still a hefty adjustment. I was in the same boat but after @WinoGelato suggested a few changes of my setting my readings were much more realistic.

Glad it’s working out for you!
  • angelsja
    Looking at your diary, if I was in your position I'd change my activity levels. You are clearly not "sedentary" from the amount of extra calories you seem to be gaining from exercise, even if as you say you don't trust your Fitbit readings it's still a hefty adjustment. I was in the same boat but after @WinoGelato suggested a few changes for my setting, my readings were much more realistic.

This is why you believe you are earning 800plus calories from the exercise you do.

Mfp asks for your activity level before exercise well if I don't exercise I barely get 3k steps a day and I never said I didn't trust the adjustment I said I know from my results that it over estimates by around 200-300 calories per day
  • angelsja
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP if I recall you have a history of obsessing about the minutiae and binge/restrict cycles - because of that I would be cautious about leaving so many calories on the table and just not eating them at any point - the day you did the exercise or later in the week so that the weekly average is at your net goal.

The FitBit sync issues have been frustrating for sure but you’ve been using the device for a while, you should have a good idea of what your average burn is and what the typical adjustment is with MFP for that level of activity - you can just eat a reasonable amount of those calories and not worry about the red numbers - when the two systems start working again they will adjust and your numbers will be back on track.

Even if I'm not hungry :/ don't see much good in eating for the sake of it if I wasn't using mfp I wouldn't know I had X amount of calories left so I wouldn't eat unless I was hungry which I haven't been
  • TavistockToad

Even if I'm not hungry :/ don't see much good in eating for the sake of it if I wasn't using mfp I wouldn't know I had X amount of calories left so I wouldn't eat unless I was hungry which I haven't been

a lot of people use MFP because they aren't able to eat to their hunger and maintain/gain/lose weight as they would wish to or in a healthy way.

if you can, then that's great, but then my question would be, what do you use MFP for?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Sometimes I bank calories for the next day - I have a "calorie bank in" food entry and a "calorie bank out" exercise entry. So I would enter say 500 calories as food, and 500 as exercise the next day.

There's no real need to do this, it's just a bookkeeping way of carrying calories from one day to the next. Your body doesn't have a calendar so going under on one day and over on the next doesn't matter. I just prefer the look of it.
  • angelsja
    edited June 2018

a lot of people use MFP because they aren't able to eat to their hunger and maintain/gain/lose weight as they would wish to or in a healthy way.

if you can, then that's great, but then my question would be, what do you use MFP for?

To lose weight I gained weight when my partner had a accident and was off work for a year so I was eating when he ate and the same portion size and takeaways and desserts just because we could etc. I can easily go from breakfast right through to evening meal without eating but I exercise around 11am and have always been told to eat within 90min of finishing exercise. I'm usually not hungry but by the time I get hungry I'm starving so I find it better to eat 3 meals so I use mfp to keep track. I lost 3 stone before I started using mfp
  • TavistockToad

To lose weight I gained weight when my partner had a accident and was off work for a year so I was eating when he ate and the same portion size and takeaways and desserts just because we could etc. I can easily go from breakfast right through to evening meal without eating but I exercise around 11am and have always been told to eat within 90min of finishing exercise. I'm usually not hungry but by the time I get hungry I'm starving so I find it better to eat 3 meals so I use mfp to keep track. I lost 3 stone before I started using mfp

so you acknowledge that sometimes you need to eat when you're not hungry, because you know its better for you, but you're arguing that you dont want to eat when not hungry to his an appropriate calorie goal?
  • angelsja

so you acknowledge that sometimes you need to eat when you're not hungry, because you know its better for you, but you're arguing that you dont want to eat when not hungry to his an appropriate calorie goal?

I eat after exercise I'm talking about after I've had my evening meal at 4-5pm and I'm done eating for the day not hungry and have calories left over. If I wasn't using mfp I wouldn't know I had those calories left so I wouldn't eat after my evening meal so I don't see any point eating if I'm not hungry unless I've just finished exercising then I eat to 1 recover from the exercise and 2 prevent over eating at my next meal
  • WinoGelato

Mfp asks for your activity level before exercise well if I don't exercise I barely get 3k steps a day and I never said I didn't trust the adjustment I said I know from my results that it over estimates by around 200-300 calories per day

If you’ve got a FitBit then you know what your average steps are and how active you are and if that’s inconsistent with what MFP says then it’s ok to go with the higher activity level. 3000 is the usual cutoff for Sedentary so if you’re saying you barely get that without exercise, but you do exercise most days, then you should probably change it to lightly active or active. Enabling negative adjustments will cover you on days you don’t exercise or are less active overall. This will make the adjustments smaller and easier to plan to eat to fuel your activity, you may even find FitBit becomes more accurate for you.