OHP with a low ceiling

Options
I'm currently following SL 5x5 and over head presses are apart of the program. I am able to press with 10 lb plates on the bar but if I try using 25 lb plates it'll hit the ceiling (only if I shrug my shoulders at the top which is needed afaik)

Would I be better off doing seated OHP or end up purchasing a bunch of 10 lbs (as absurd as that sounds lol)

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't know that I'd recommend seated OHP, because you'll be taking the whole body lift out of the equation.

You're probably better off doing either half kneeling(lunged-Alternate sides for balance) or sticking with the 10 lb plates.

If you're stable, you could try kneeling as well.

Only way to determine what's best for you is to experiment.

I suggest the half kneeling/lunge, because I was doing OHP from that as an alternative exercise a few months back as a change of pace, and found that it challenged my core much more than standing.

If you go to/with an alternative exercise, you're going to have to be more careful with form, because it's going to be different from what you're accustomed to.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Id buy a few 10s. Can probably even find used for dirt cheap. OHP has shown the have the highest front delt muscle activation although seated was a close 2nd. Seated dumbbell as well.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I do know - from others whom I trust discussing the results of different studies - and there is a slight difference between dumbbell and barbell OHP and standing and seated OHP. I will find that and link that discussion. It is a Scott Hermann youtube. I am pretty sure that Jeff Nippard did one, too! More to follow.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal... if you want the full-body benefits, OHP is better. If you want front delt hypertrophy, then seat is just as good if not better.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Do Z press
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Just do them seated, it doesn't really matter.

This is the small stuff that people obsess over, but in the end, it's not important.

Agreed. If you are not competing then sitting or standing won't make much of a difference. Standing does rely on core more than sitting but you can make up for that on other lifts.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4" and end up doing these on my knees most places and mix it up with dumbbells.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would just add the 10's. Are you using a 45lb barbell? I know some use a lighter bar, if that's the case, you can use a heavier bar and then just keep adding the 10lb plates. :)
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Apologies for the delayed answer. I'll invest a bit into a few more 10 lb plates. I tried out seated and I'm not really a big fan of that. Thanks for all the suggestions :)
  • Simpyll
    Simpyll Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I'm currently following SL 5x5 and over head presses are apart of the program. I am able to press with 10 lb plates on the bar but if I try using 25 lb plates it'll hit the ceiling (only if I shrug my shoulders at the top which is needed afaik)

Would I be better off doing seated OHP or end up purchasing a bunch of 10 lbs (as absurd as that sounds lol)

It doesn't sound absurd to purchase smaller weights. The guys over at starting strength actually recommend buying a set a micro weights.. I'm talking .25lbs or smaller.. Because progress is progress regardless of how little.

What absurd is not purchasing smaller weights and expecting to be able to jump from a 65lb OHP to a 95lb OHP...

Especially OHP. The "ceiling" for this lift comes quick.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Simpyll wrote: »

It doesn't sound absurd to purchase smaller weights. The guys over at starting strength actually recommend buying a set a micro weights.. I'm talking .25lbs or smaller.. Because progress is progress regardless of how little.

What absurd is not purchasing smaller weights and expecting to be able to jump from a 65lb OHP to a 95lb OHP...

Amen to that! I am 6'0" @ 205lbs and male and I hit the ceiling hard with OHP when I was doing SL 5x5. I mean, there is a certain female here who can OHP more than I could (when I was doing it consistently). So, just another perfect example of "we are all different"!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Amen to that! I am 6'0" @ 205lbs and male and I hit the ceiling hard with OHP when I was doing SL 5x5. I mean, there is a certain female here who can OHP more than I could (when I was doing it consistently). So, just another perfect example of "we are all different"!

Do tell!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

Do tell!

Ha! I believe that you know her quite well. In fact, I am pretty sure that she favors you....slightly, but favors you nonetheless! LOL! Oh, and that is Southern for "she looks a lot like you"...….
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

Do tell!

And, I am pretty sure that her name sounds like "Hannah"! Just saying!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Do tell!

Damn, she sounds impressive!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Darn tootin! OHP isn't 2 steps forward, 1 step back. More like 1 1/2 steps forward, 1 step back.
    Took me almost 2.5 years to go from 95 to a few reps at 165.
    Get some 10's, 5's, 2 1/2's, and 1 1/4's and that will last you a while.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

Do tell!

I mean....I would not go that far! LOL! I guess for a 5'5" @ 140lbs girl.....she is okay!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Do tell!

I mean....I would not go that far! LOL! I guess for a 5'5" @ 140lbs girl.....she is okay!

:p
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

Do tell!

:p

Okay....you win. Twist my arm, why don't you? She is slightly impressive. I mean, in the context of kick-*kitten*, tough as nails hawt chicks who make everything look easy....without even glistening - not even a little bit...in that context....slightly impressive!