Discouraged...Need Motivation

Options
I've been using "Myfitnesspal" for two weeks now. The first week I did amazing! I had lost 5 lbs at my first weigh in. This is week two and I just weighed myself and I have not lost 1 single pound. I did everything that I was supposed to do...stayed under my calorie goal every day and I logged more exercise hours than I had alloted myself...so I'm kinda confused as to why I didnt lose any weight this week.

I'm 5'7" and currently weight 163. My calorie goal is 1200 a day and I have set my goal for exercise at 120 minutes a week.

Should I be doing more exercise?? Eating fewer calories??

Any encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yeah, here's some advice, stop tripping and keep doing what you're dong.
  • helloclaire
    Options
    Hi,

I think you are doing fine. The first week, everyone loses a lot, then after that it gets slower. You'll keep losing as long as you continue what you are doing. Good luck! :)
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    That's normal weight loss. When you start a diet, you normally do extremely well the first week...mainly due to water weight. Weight loss slows down on your second week. I wouldn't worry, if I were you. Keep doing what you're doing.:flowerforyou:
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think just keep doing what you're doing and see how your next weigh in goes. I'm guessing you'll see a weight loss at your next weight in.

On a side note, have you tried hiking and/or geocaching? These are 2 activities I love and I find I can go for hours and hours. Both activities burn a ton of calories and you're having so much fun you don't realize you're exercising.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ya..you've only been at it two weeks..and you are already discouraged..well prepare for more.

give it more time.
  • BekJ
    BekJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's still a fantastic effort...
    It will come off... sometimes you have slow weeks, sometimes you lose heaps!!!
    Don't get too discouraged, and stick with it... It will happen...

My only piece of advice (from someone who's been there) is to maybe increase your exercise... 120 minutes (2 hours) a week doesn't seem like quite enough for weightloss...
    It doesn't have to be high intensity... Just a gentle walk around the local park or the block...
    The more you move, the more you lose...
    Definately don't eat less calories!!!! Your body will go into starvation mode and you'll find yourself storing everything you eat... That, and you won't be getting the nourishment you need...

Best of luck with it all...
    And feel free to add me if you wish... I'm always to provide encouragement and support!!!
  • Imahottmess
    Options
    Have you increased you water intake? I was getting discouraged last week and increased my water and I lost 1.5 lbs the first day, and then almost another pound the next. You may just need to "flush" your system.
  • Imahottmess
    Options
    Have you increased you water intake? I was getting discouraged last week and increased my water and I lost 1.5 lbs the first day, and then almost another pound the next. You may just need to "flush" your system. Also for only two weeks, that's really good. Don't let it get you down, just gotta tweak it a bit to keep up the weight loss.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The five pounds lost on week 1 were most likely water loss. When we start eating right, that usually means less sodium, and we shed retained fluids. Sorry.

Review your goals and make adjustments. You may need to eat less - or you may need to record what you DO eat more accurately. Dieters are notorious for underestimating the size of their portions.

Hope you find your sweet spot. I'm losing a pound to 1.5 pounds per week - slower than I want it to go, but it's consistent, which is more important. Focus on eating whole, natural foods, prepared simply. Avoid packaged foods. Build good eating habits (and good FOOD habits), and the weight should start taking care of itself. :)
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! I'm gonna keep my calorie goal right where it is, but I'm gonna make it a point to exercise more during the week. AND I'll try drinking more water. Hopefully next week I'll show some progress.

Thank You again for the kind words everybody!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation I did the same. First week lost 3.4kg. Next week lost0.1g. I cried on the scale. (I only weigh once a week) I then lost 2.9kg the next week. Nothing changed. Still drank water. Still had my 30 min basic exercise five days a week. Still went to the gym twice to do weights. And I have a lot more to lose!

It's not easy. It's damn hard. But for me it's the end goal that matters not the bumps along the way.