Breakfast ideas for a restricted diet

Options
darianwilk
darianwilk Posts: 2 Member
Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster *waves* I'm hoping to get some breakfast ideas, because usually I just give up and just skip it. Horrible I know, but I get so frustrated trying to find something I can eat, and I just cannot have another bowl of oatmeal lol. I have Crohn's disease and food allergies, so here's where it gets complicated for me. I can't have eggs, dairy, peanut butter or nuts of any kind, acidic fruits, legumes, avocados, anything cooked in oil, tomatoes, must be low sugar because sugar makes the stomach angry; so most fruits are out of the question as well as honey. Those are the biggins on the no-no list. Anyone have any ideas, or am I doomed to have oatmeal forever lol?

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    have you tried grits
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    What do you eat for lunch and dinner? There's no law that says you can't have leftovers for breakfast. You can make quinoa like oatmeal - cooked in water or coconut milk or rice milk with cinnamon. Protein shakes. Even sandwiches or soups will do, if you have favorite ones.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You can scramble tofu like an egg and it doesn't need oil. Here's one: Hot For Food Tofu Scramble

It calls for a teaspoon of oil but you can leave it out without any problems. I agree that leftovers are good. You can also make a different spin on oatmeal by using salt and broth to cook it and make it savory. Throw in some onions or mushrooms if you can tolerate them. You can make quinoa the same way.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,734 Member
    Options
    Bagel and lox. Smoked salmon sandwich with cucumber and black pepper. Chinese congee (savoury rice porridge). Asian breakfast in general (noodle soups or congee).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you eat any other time of day.
    I will eat soup, a sandwich, dinner leftovers for breakfast.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    As others have said, have whatever you like, and can eat, for breakfast.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm not a huge oatmeal fan - so i often have barley for breakfast - with milk (you could use soy or almond milk)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Smoothies? you can create basically any taste profile you'd like. If you can't do dairy you'll have to get the protein in them maybe from protein powder but you can seriously make any combo you'd like and they can get hefty in calories so measure everything you put in.
    Mine consist of the following and you'd have to sub some things b/c of your dietary restrictions:
    1 banana
    1/2 cup frozen fruit
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
    handful of kale
    splash of oj
    blend and enjoy. my breakfast every day!
  • southerngirl1966
    southerngirl1966 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i have been known to have brussel sprouts and fish for breakfast or a black bean burger. i had a trainer that said if it was good enough for dinner then it should be good enough for breakfast. eat whatever you enjoy eating! good luck!
  • darianwilk
    darianwilk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Protein, veggies, fruit. All good.
  • thynes1313
    thynes1313 Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    As others have said I eat whatever lol. I often eat dinner left overs for breakfast! Food is food and enjoying it is key!
  • sharke087
    sharke087 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I personally like scrambled eggs with a handful of baby spinach and a handful of mushrooms. With a banana or orange on the side.
  • rexrabbitlover63
    rexrabbitlover63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    darianwilk wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    can you eat kale? I have an easy kale chips recipe that is delicious and can be easily modified to your needs