Beginner at exercising and out of breath within 15 minutes

Options
I'm new at exercising and I'm out of breath within 15 minutes of being on the treadmill how much do I push myself before I should stop

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Slow down your speed
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ease into things...slow down. fitness is something that is built over time.
  • kpasson94
    kpasson94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's okay to push yourself, but going too hard, too quickly won't get you into a lasting habit. I'd suggest a brisk walk (Difficult enough that you can say a few words at a time, but still have an elevated heart rate) for the most part; and if you want to work up to running, you can do so in short bursts. An hour's brisk walk will do more for your body than a 10 minute run where you've over worked yourself.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Slow down your speed/reduce your incline, pushing yourself so hard that you're exhausted in 15 minutes isn't doing you any good. Start slow and slowly increase your speed to the point that you are having to concentrate on your form, but don't have to hold on to the handles or. find yourself out of breath quickly. You should be able to have a conversation without much trouble at a good speed
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Are you walking or jogging? WALK.

Spend 5 minutes walking at a comfortable pace - I usually start out at what seems comfortable but then increase speed during that 5 minutes.

Try 15 minutes walking at a pace where you can talk, with a couple of short breaths in the middle of your recitation of "Friends, Romans, countrymen..."

5 minutes walking back at that comfortable pace.

Are you sweating? Way too easy? Did you speed up a lot during that 15 minutes? Did you gasp for breath and have to bark out words?

That will tell you a lot.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    reneewrg wrote: »
    I'm new at exercising and I'm out of breath within 15 minutes of being on the treadmill how much do I push myself before I should stop

run slower, but 15 minutes is fine as a starting point, add a minute or 2 each week.