I gained half a pound?

Options
I just woke up about 20 minutes ago and did my weekly weigh in. The previous week I was down to 228.50. When I checked on Thursday, it was 227.50. But when I weigh myself this morning, it was 228. I know I've been eating well all week and exercised a good amount during the week. So why the .50 pound gain back? Was it from the body conditioning class? Was it from all those core exercises on Saturday? Maybe I'm still eating too little or water retention. Or maybe because my hair is still wet from washing it yesterday or I ate a little late on Saturday or slept for only 6.5 hours one night this week. I haven't measured myself yet but getting worried. I'm gonna wait one more time before I weigh again (I used the bathroom 3 times overnight including the most recent trip 20 minutes ago).

I know I shouldn't be freaking out but it's not like I'm on my period that I know my weight will go up.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    really..

i mean...really?!
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you... all my measurements went down but the scale went up 2 lbs. But hey inches are better than lbs right? :ohwell:
  • Sarawoods
    Sarawoods Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Whats with The Really? Thats kind of a weird response.. It's ok You shouldn't have to worry about a pound or three. According to my Doctor your weight can fluxuate through out the day. It depends on little things like have you had a BM in the past 24 hours? Did you have more salt yesterday than usual You can retain water even when not on your period. So dont sweat a pound or three. You arent doing anything wrong its just normal for the body to do that. DON'T Freak out ^_^ You can do it!!!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - your weight will fluctuate - and it can be even more than half a pound...... don't sweat the scale day to day....
    Here is a blog I wrote about my weight fluctuations over a month....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elleinnz?month=201108
  • MissWait
    MissWait Posts: 160
    Options
    I find that if I eat lots of carbs or salt i'll gain. I wouldn't be worrying to much about a few pounds though.
  • BeeRod527
    BeeRod527 Posts: 104
    Options
    Whats with The Really? Thats kind of a weird response.. It's ok You shouldn't have to worry about a pound or three. According to my Doctor your weight can fluxuate through out the day. It depends on little things like have you had a BM in the past 24 hours? Did you have more salt yesterday than usual You can retain water even when not on your period. So dont sweat a pound or three. You arent doing anything wrong its just normal for the body to do that. DON'T Freak out ^_^ You can do it!!!!

I didn't take that much salt at all yesterday. Plus I dinner a little early (6pm) and went to bed earlier than usual (9:30pm).

I know weight flux can be a pain but it's just odd that on Thursday I was 227.5 and this morning I'm 228. When I weigh myself on Monday, I was 228.5.

As for the "really" comment... I'm not laughing!
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    Please don't worry about minor fluctuations--and a pound or two is going to be a minor fluctuation. Fluid retention does have a lot to do with it. You might be better off weighing yourself less often. You're doing a really good job with all the exercising and watching what you're eating, and progress is never a straight path! Thanks for sharing what's going on with you--it goes on with many of us.
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    So I did measure myself and lost about 7" inches all over (46 to 44 on my bust, 39 to 38 on my chest below the bra line, 38 to 36 on my waist, 49 to 48 on my hips, and 1" on my right thigh). I didn't measure my calves before I started but the right calf is slimmer than my left by 3".

I'm cool with the inches lost. Better measure again next month.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    really..

i mean...really?!

I'm laughing cause I agree with her.. and thats prob. what I would say to.

Weight fluctuations happen.. this is why your supposed to weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, before you ate anything and after you go to the bathroom. Besides half a pound is nothing.. I'm sure by the next time that you weigh it will be down again.
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    really..

i mean...really?!

Weight fluctuations happen.. this is why your supposed to weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, before you ate anything and after you go to the bathroom. Besides half a pound is nothing.. I'm sure by the next time that you weigh it will be down again.

I did weigh myself first thing in the morning, after I pee and before putting anything into my mouth! Usually Monday is my weight-in day but I couldn't help on Thursday to see my progress and saw the 227.5 on my digital scale.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    weight is arbitrary, measurements and BF% are really the true measure of if you are doing it right. 1 weigh in alone isn't a very useful statistic, if over a month of weigh in's you are trending down, (I prefer 6 weeks but a month is fine) then you're doing it right.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    really..

i mean...really?!

I did weigh myself first thing in the morning, after I pee and before putting anything into my mouth! Usually Monday is my weight-in day but I couldn't help on Thursday to see my progress and saw the 227.5 on my digital scale.

I'd also like to add, it takes 1750 calories to gain half a pound.. so unless you over-ate by that much, I don't think it's real weight gain. I just weighed my self in after the weekend(I never weigh in till thursday) and it said I gained 3 pounds... in 3 days.. right... totally not true.
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    weight is arbitrary, measurements and BF% are really the true measure of if you are doing it right. 1 weigh in alone isn't a very useful statistic, if over a month of weigh in's you are trending down, (I prefer 6 weeks but a month is fine) then you're doing it right.

If anything I am glad that I lost inches all over, esp. around my waist, hips, and thighs. They are usually my biggest problem area for me. I feel better and have tons of energy. I just can't help feeling annoyed by weighing a half pound more than I did on Thursday because Wednesday was a rest day.

Anyway, it also changes my plans of working out today. I was planning to do aqua aerobics but now I'm gonna take spinning! Need to take out my frustration on the bike instead of elderly people. :P
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

I just can't help feeling annoyed by weighing a half pound more than I did on Thursday because Wednesday was a rest day.

that could be your answer.

you will weigh less after a rest day because you gave your muscles time to repair and release stored water. The day after you work out your muscles are retaining water to protect themselves and repair.

also, the fact that you said your hair was wet could be the culprit. My hair holds a full 2 lbs of water. :/

worry about a 4-6 week downward average trend rather than a single weigh in.
    You are making positive changes in your life and getting healthier. That matters WAY WAY more than the number on the scale.
  • BeeRod527
    Options

I just can't help feeling annoyed by weighing a half pound more than I did on Thursday because Wednesday was a rest day.

that could be your answer.

you will weigh less after a rest day because you gave your muscles time to repair and release stored water. The day after you work out your muscles are retaining water to protect themselves and repair.

also, the fact that you said your hair was wet could be the culprit. My hair holds a full 2 lbs of water. :/

worry about a 4-6 week downward average trend rather than a single weigh in.
    You are making positive changes in your life and getting healthier. That matters WAY WAY more than the number on the scale.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

At least I got a complement from my brother this morning. He's seeing that I've lost some weight. If only he jumps on the bandwagon because that fridge is full of junk food. How I manage to have the willpower to not eat everything in the fridge is beyond me. My mom, on the other hand, eats whatever. Anyway, at least someone is noticing it.

Oh and he bought that Xbox Kinect for us to play Dance Central on rest days!
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Please read this link for a little perspective on fluctuation and weighing yourself....it helps :)

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates up to two whole pounds during the week. It's normal for me.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This has probably been said already...but .

1. If you're working out, you've put on muscle. So it's very possible you lost fat but gained muscle, and gained more muscle than lost fat. Thus, creating a gain, even though your fat went down. So if you lost 1 pound of fat, but gained 1.5 pounds of muscle, then you're scale will show a .5 gain.

2. Your muscles retain water when they are healing. So it's very possible the "gain" could be water retention while your muscles are healing themselves

This is why you shouldn't rely solely on your scale to track your progress. Rely on how your clothes are fitting, your measurements, how you look and how you feel. Get your body fat percentage checked every month.

Example, my scale didn't move for two weeks and maybe even went up a bit. My trainer took my measurements and found that I had lost about 4 inches all over and was down 2% body fat.... so, even though my scale was showing no difference in weight, my body HAD changed.

God bless!
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    This has probably been said already...but .

1. If you're working out, you've put on muscle. So it's very possible you lost fat but gained muscle, and gained more muscle than lost fat. Thus, creating a gain, even though your fat went down. So if you lost 1 pound of fat, but gained 1.5 pounds of muscle, then you're scale will show a .5 gain.

2. Your muscles retain water when they are healing. So it's very possible the "gain" could be water retention while your muscles are healing themselves

This is why you shouldn't rely solely on your scale to track your progress. Rely on how your clothes are fitting, your measurements, how you look and how you feel. Get your body fat percentage checked every month.

Example, my scale didn't move for two weeks and maybe even went up a bit. My trainer took my measurements and found that I had lost about 4 inches all over and was down 2% body fat.... so, even though my scale was showing no difference in weight, my body HAD changed.

God bless!

:flowerforyou:

I have a gut feeling it has something to do with my net calories. It's been consistently between 800-1000 on workout days. It hits over 1200 on rest days though.
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    Update: I lost that half pound and the scale is back to 227.5. I moved a few inches away from the wall to weigh myself this time.

Maybe I should do my weigh-ins on Thursdays instead of Mondays.