Walking

Options
Has anyone lost weight keeping up a good walking streak. If so how long and far are you going?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i started walking when i started losing.
    all that matters is that you eat at a deficit to lose weight.
    i lost my first 20lb my first time around while doing long walks.

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yes. 2-3 years ago I lost 100 pounds. the first half of that was strictly via walking (no running, no gym). I worked up to 15,000-20,000 steps a day. I didn't really go for speed very often just, getting in my steps. Note that I didn't START at 15,000 and most was walking my dogs which I needed to do anyway ;) I also walk for most of my errands (no car)
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Walking on an incline treadmill or outside is about 95% of my cardio. I throw in a short jog (usually the last 1/4mile) if my knees can take it just to get a bit of the interval training benefit.

I shoot for around 16.5min/mi walking and around 14.5min/mi if I'm able to jog that time. 3.6mph and 4.1mph respectively. Nothing too crazy.

Do about the same, 3-4 miles during the week (every other day as I also do strength training). Weekends I like to eat a bit more (a lot more actually...) so I go for 8-9 miles.

You can never jog and still lose weight by just walking. Walk until you feel comfortable pushing your body harder. I'm trying to lose another 15lbs or so before I really start to push my jogging/running distances.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love walking. Its awesome for you and will save your knees. Why not do some sprinting like up hills or 30 sec sprint walk for 2 min to switch it up.

I think its a great workout. I do it a few days a week. Im pushing a double carriage so 80 lbs. i sprint up the hills and flats too.

• Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise, aim for at least 3x per week. Occasionally get a little exercise doing something different, not often though. I walk for anywhere from 1/2-1hr, depending how much time I have.
    Been doing this for 6 months now, and in addition to eating at a deficit each day, have lost 22.5kg so far.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes! Walking is great. I wear my Fitbit and when I get lots of steps (10k ish) I burn a lot more calories
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker...down 25 pounds from February. I stopped walking due to illness and put the weight on. I'm healthy again, walking and losing it all. I still have a few vanity pounds to go, but I know those will drop eventually if I keep walking and logging.

I walk more than most now...between 30 and 40 miles per week. The majority of my weight loss done at about 20 - 25 miles a week.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have had a fit bit for almost 5-1/2 years.
    Total miles (most of it from walking & hiking, but some from elliptical machine) just over 16,000 miles.
    I have walked in -30F (actual temperature with wind chill factor in the -70F area) and 98F with 79 dewpoint, just this past Friday. I gotta say, I much prefer the colder weather over what we had on Friday. I hate the heat and humidity.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I walk daily at a brisk clip for at least 30 minutes. It’s very hot here right now so I’m doing my walks around sundown. I’ve lost 33 pounds since January.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Has anyone lost weight keeping up a good walking streak. If so how long and far are you going?
    I am a 64 yo female. I power walk 5 miles 5 days a week at a 4 mph pace. Doing that along with calorie restriction has allowed me to reach my goal weight of 120 lbs. The first 2.5 months were just dietary changes. I've been power walking since March. I feel that walking has really benefited me :)

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,359 Member
    Options
    My main exercise is walking (with my dogs) every morning. I walk in place when they stop. we walk 2-4 miles