Is it possible to drop 6% body fat in 6 weeks?

Options
There's a promotional challenge by a fitness program /CrossFit club locally. The gist of it, they make you pay $500.00 deposit, and within 6 weeks you got to drop 20 or more pounds or 6% body fat if you want to see your money back. They give you meal plan and a trainer to work out for 45 minutes three times a week. I saw a similar post like this on the message board but wanted to custom input my details to see if this would be a healthy thing to embark on.

Even though I could be 100% committed to the program, I am nervous because of the financial aspect. I've never been to a gym or had a personal trainer befoer

I am 5' 9". Based on my at home scale, I am 188.8lbs, BMI 28%, Body Fat 38.4%. By my scale numbers I am in the overweight range, which I've been very conscious of since having my 2 kids within the last 5 years and not being able to lose my baby weight in my midsection. While I'm eager and motivated to get more fit (and mentally I know I have weight to lose), is this is it even realistic and safe to do in 6 weeks time frame?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It largely depends on the starting weight of the person. For you, it sounds pretty aggressive. It would require you to lose almost 12 lbs, so 2 lbs/week.

2 lbs/week of legitimate weight loss is a lot for your starting weight. But, depending on how much of an overhaul you make to your diet, some people see pretty impressive water weigh drops the first week or two. That may give you a boost and result in your only needing to lose 1-1.5lb/week. Hard to say. I personally wouldn't bet $500 on it. You may have more disposable income than me though?

If you are money driven there are other places, where you can chose goals that better suit you, maybe something like diet bet would work better for you?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If a person is new to losing weight and/or and/or has a lot to lose, it might be doable. But for somebody who has already been losing and/or doesn't have a lot to lose it would be difficult. Certainly not something I'd bet $500 on.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It seems really irresponsible for a place devoted to health and fitness to promote what could be very unsafe rates of weight loss. Does the meal plan come from a registered dietician? Is it individually designed?

What if someone doesn't need to lose weight and just wants to join? They're going to put people at health risk to save $500 (which is a lot of money!)? Or are they discriminating against people who don't need to lose weight because they'll just have to pay?

And the bio-impediment scale aren't accurate. Neither are calipers. How are they going to measure body fat? Do you have to pay for dexa scans as well?

Maybe find a different gym.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A few months ago I went to go look at a gym program like that too. Only they waited to tell you about the $500 caveat until you were there. I was given the same requirements, 6% bf in 6 weeks. I am 5'8" and 125 lbs. The only way that would work is if I put on a significant amount of muscle and I work out 4-5 days a week so "newbie gains" wouldn't be as significant. It was obvious they were banking on keeping that $, I think you're experiencing that same trap, move on unless you're willing to never see that money again.

ETA: I ended up choosing a less scammy feeling CrossFit gym and absolutely love it. I haven't weighed myself but I'm seeing physical changes in my body for a heck of a lot less than $500.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I know 2 people who did a similar program. One did the 20lbs and the other did the body fat. Person 1 lost the 20lbs. The last week was ridiculous--tilapia and asparagus for every meal for like 5 days or something. And I am not exaggerating. Yeah--I mean, who wouldn't lose those last 5lbs?! Not sure if the 2nd person lost exactly 6%, but I could clearly see a difference in the before and after pix. Basically it ended up being a scam though because instead of getting a refund, they were told the money had to be used to a gym membership. I'm not remembering all the details, but just be careful what you sign if you do it.

On another note, based on what I've read, it seems like it would be really difficult to lose 1% of body fat (and fat only) each week. Maybe it depends on how lean you are to begin with...? The woman who did the 6% was not overweight, and I really doubt she lost that in fat only.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow you all have been extremely helpful in this and I am very grateful for all of your knowledge and advice as it will save me from doing something too aggressive and too financially risky in the long run. Luckily I was able to back out without being charged and my stress levels over this have significantly decreased. I will find an alternative healthier and less risky option.

Good decision. I think it's probably a scam.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Bumping all of these.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Scam...

The most likely scenario is that they get your money.

I wouldn't bank or bet on that kind of weight loss unless I was very obese.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Scam probably. If it’s legit you would probably wish it wasn’t. I have a friend who underwent a ‘quick weight loss program’ in the U.S. Navy (SEALs). They took him out 15 miles off the coast of San Diego in a helicopter, gave him a wetsuit and a watch, and before they pushed him out at midnight pointed to some faint lights on the horizon and said, “Land is that direction.” He lost 15 pounds over the next 12 hours swimming to shore and got stung by three jellyfish.

That’s not the way to do it. What I suggest you pursue is a more gradual weight loss that you can sustain and make part of your normal life. Make small changes into healthy habits and you’ll keep the weight off.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It’s taken me over a year to lose 5% body fat. Save your money.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is extremely obese, probably not, at least not in any way that doctors would consider healthy. Now if you weighed +600lbs, then yes 6% is doable.

I'm overweight by BMI (barely) and at the high end of "normal" for body fat. It took me 6 months to drop 1.5% body fat.