Sign My Petition - UK Restaurants to show Nutrition

Options
tkb1985
tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
Hi MFP

Please use the link below to sign my e-petition to the government - to get all UK large / chain restaurants to show the nutritional information of the food on their menu's. I know something like this has been pushed through in the US, but here in the UK only a handful of restaurants do it, and it's not a requirement, it's voluntary.

I think it can only be beneficial to people to know at least the basic nutritional value of what they're eating... and for people like us who log their calories, it would be very handy!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/4886

Thanks All

T

Edited to say: Please feel free to send this to everyone you know!

Replies

• Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    have done :D
    xxx
  • PercyPig
    PercyPig Posts: 318
    Options
    Signed - wish more restaurants would do it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    To be honest, i dont want to know how many calories are in my food when i go out for dinner... i want to chose something nice off the menu and enjoy it, and then probably have a pudding too!!

i know the piece of chocolate fudge cake is about 600 calories, but i dont want to see it in black and white!! i want to enjoy the cake, not feel bad because its a ridiculous amount of cals!!
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Have done, how are we supposed to make healthy choices if we do not know what is high in calories or not.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Was only thinking this the other day, will deffo sign and forward to my mates. Well done and thanks! x
  • Nuclear_Synthesis
    Options
    Doing this now, i would LOVE to actually know what was in the meals i was potentially ordering.
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    done :-)
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone

I'm not into the idea of babying people, or telling the what they should or shouldn't eat, but i think it's important for people to at least have the option to make an informed choice.

Besides, anyone who doesn't care what calories are in their food will ignore it anyway, so no harm done! :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Done! And posted on my Twitter and FB pages too x
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Signed. I would love if more UK restaurants showed their nutritional info.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Have done, how are we supposed to make healthy choices if we do not know what is high in calories or not.

Being high in calories dosn't make something unhealthy.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Done and will post to Facebook when I'm home from work
  • mikerouse
    mikerouse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also signed this, even though there is work afoot within Government along these lines already. I feel disempowered when I can't make an educated decision from a menu and though I am getting better at recognising what's going to be loaded with calories you can never be totally sure. For instance, some places where you order a salad comes drenched in olive oil or covered in melted cheese (which isn't mentioned in the menu). At the very least it should show the typical calories for the given meal or an indication like the proposed traffic light system.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Done :-)
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting it on here
    I totally agree with you it has to be shown on food sold in shops so why should eateries (if there is such a word!!!) be any different
    All signed
    xx
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Done, but I think I'd like to see supermarket-style traffic light system, and for the restaurant to have to provide the information on request, not necessarily on every menu.

A decent restaurant is all about presentation and style as much as the food, so forcing them to do this on every menu would be unpopular.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Being high in calories dosn't make something unhealthy.

True, but knowing the calorie value can help to make informed choices about what to eat when dining out - and if you want to have that high calorie meal then at least you can plan for it.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I too have signed. I was able to make good choices recently when eating at Harvester where they have put the calories on the menu.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've signed it and popped it onto my facebook page.
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Signed!
    I think it should compulsory to know the nutrition in the food we eat! This would be especially helpful in takeaways too!