Cost of gym membership in UK?

Options
Could you tell me how much you pay for your gym monthly in the UK? And whether there is any joining fee?
Thanks!

Replies

• Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I refused to pay a joining fee. My membership is £64 per month, battled down from £72 per month, but that includes a £10 optional charge per month for unlimited towels when I go. My gym is in London and in the city xx
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fitness First in Belfast - monthly fee of £38, no joining fee.
  • edward1973
    Options
    My gym is £34 a month with a £7.50 joining fee. That's in Inverness, Scotland lol
  • alibeany
    alibeany Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I pay £40- joint membership in London
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I pay about £45 per month for a Greens platinum membership (everything included inc towels), and didn't pay any joining fee. Usually they're desperate for your business and will always do new deals/promos – hang in there for those.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    St Pauls LA Fitness (London City) I got 12 months for the price of 9 with booking fee waived, £428 for the year. I get free towels and there is a good sized pool + saunsa + steam room

Shop around and take advantage of free gym passes they hand out.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    £31 a month at DW but they took over my old gym so might be a lower rate than normal.
    They're desperate at the moment for new members regardeless of what they say so be tough with them. No joining fees and if they want to tie you into a contract then you want discounted rates.
  • Suzay
    Suzay Posts: 60
    Options
    Wow lol it's like £17/month over here for a gym membership...
  • ladytrimmble
    Options
    I use the gym group only £15.99 a month with £20 join fee.

It's basic gym with no pool but great vaule - no yearly contract!!!!
  • Amy271189
    Options
    Im in Rotherham and i pay £37.50.. Its optional to pay a £10 if you want an induction.
  • Kerry5524
    Kerry5524 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hiya...

I pay an annual membership of £28 at our local leisure center , then it is on a 'pay as you go' basis. For a spin class it is £4.60 a class.

I also belong to 'Sussex Bootcamps' which is quite expensive at £82 a month for a 12 month mebership (3 times a week) however it is much more rewarding than a gym. As you get a more one on one time with the trainer, plus lots of social activities. A very active forum and a lot of support from trainers and other members of the group.

:smile:

2796988.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • freddyrussell
    freddyrussell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The gym i'm joining in September is £23 a month, gym, swimming pool and sauna!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Look into Council run gyms. Some of them are pretty good. I used to use the Sportcity one (by the Manchester City ground) which was a very well equipped gym with sauna, steam room, pool and classes. I think it was just over £20 a month. Plus your local council may run a discount scheme for city residents. Manchester City Council offer leisure passes to all Manchester residents which gets you fat discounts at council facilities.
  • shazzamax11
    Options
    Um I pay £107 per month for David Lloyd, but that is on a 3 monthly rolling basis, I pay more for this. I use the gym 4-5 times a week and its lovely. It has a huge swimming pool, outdoor pool, golf range, tennis courts, gym, classes, steam / sauna, jacuzzi, personal training, restaurant, hairdressers etc all included.

It is expensive but its a lovely gym and its never crowded. The staff are friendly and it just has a nice atmosphere to it.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise mine was so expensive! Mine is £44 per month and that's at the reduced corporate membership (although, I think anyone with a job can get that as they seem keen to put you on it). It's in a four star hotel with a nice pool, sauna, steam room, cardio and weights room. I've been running outside a lot lately, so it costs me approx £44 each time I go at the moment.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am clearly a chump who is being fleeced by the gym!!!

To be fair though, I could join the nice LA Fitness in St Paul's but then I wouldn't be able to go at lunchtime. The joy of my gym is it's about 3 doors down from where I work, that means I have time to do a class at lunch and then swing by in the evening for another class on the way home.

xx
  • kellyshay
    kellyshay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I pay £33 per month for DW but my memberships slightly cheaper as I joined before it opened.
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My family pays £204 a month at David Lloyds Hampton. £204 is for me, my mom, my dad and my little sister. I pay £50 for my half, It's costly but amazing! ^_^
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My Gym was running a 'join for free in July' scheme so until September 2nd it's free, and from there on in I pay £28 a month for use of the gym/courts/pool and classes.
  • nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    I use Fit4Less in Canterbury - I pay £19.99 per month and I think it was around £30 joining fee. It is a basic gym with only gym equipment and weights etc.

YOu can get it for £14.99 per month if you sign up for a year, but I wanted to go monthly to see how I got on...I only have to give one months notice.

It's cheap and cheerful - has what I need !!