Every day I start out strong...

Options
And then I get tired and just start eating things that put me above my limits. Ideas for resisting?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Meal prep can definitely help - plan out your day in advance. Plan 3 small meals with 2-3 healthy snacks in between... about every 3 hours or so to keep the hunger down and the metabolism up. Drink lots of water too. Just a few ideas... it takes 3-4 weeks of consistency to develop new habits.
    Just to clarify - meal prep and meal planning is not the same.

You're not supposed to starve yourself to lose weight. You just have to eat a little less. This means that you have to get used to not feeling stuffed. Hunger isn't dangerous. Starving yourself is dangerous.

Your metabolism is not influenced by meal timing. Eat whenever it's practical for you.

Drink enough water. Too much water dehydrates you, ironically.

You can develop a new habit in a day. How well it sticks, depends on how much it helps you, whether it improves, or impedes, your quality of life.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What is it that makes you cave in? Find out what the trigger is and try to avoid it. If you see a cream cake and can't resist buying it, then don't take money out with you. If you are buying food in a canteen/cafe for lunch, then take a packed lunch. If it's boredom, then have carrot sticks ready and already entered into your diary.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    What is your limit and how did you go about picking it? Do you think you need better planning or better execution? I try to plan around relying on strength or toughness or discipline. If there’s an easier road, I’ll find it and take it.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Agree with others! You need to map out your day...Pre-log and stick to it. Plannng and knowing what you’re going to eat will keep you from making spur of the moment choices that push you over.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You are often eating pretty low protein, and while it's not listed in your log on the website, I'd guess pretty low fiber as well. Protein, fat, and fiber in some combination tend to be filling. It also looks like you are eating a lot of what I would consider "treat" foods. Low volume, high calorie. There is nothing wrong with fitting those kinds of foods in your day, unless they leave you feeling hungry, which it seems like they are.

Also make sure your weekly goal is realistic. 2 lbs per week is very aggressive unless you are obese, and 1.5 lbs is also often unrealistic unless you have 40+ lbs to go at least. A little slower but able to stick to it is better than going faster and quitting.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Meal prep can definitely help - plan out your day in advance. Plan 3 small meals with 2-3 healthy snacks in between... about every 3 hours or so to keep the hunger down and the metabolism up. Drink lots of water too. Just a few ideas... it takes 3-4 weeks of consistency to develop new habits.
    Just to clarify - meal prep and meal planning is not the same.

You're not supposed to starve yourself to lose weight. You just have to eat a little less. This means that you have to get used to not feeling stuffed. Hunger isn't dangerous. Starving yourself is dangerous.

Your metabolism is not influenced by meal timing. Eat whenever it's practical for you.

Drink enough water. Too much water dehydrates you, ironically.

You can develop a new habit in a day. How well it sticks, depends on how much it helps you, whether it improves, or impedes, your quality of life.

A distinction without a lot of difference... I clarified my meaning. Timing helps with hunger pangs and snacking urges, and helps develop better eating patterns.

I never suggested starving; smaller meals with healthy snacks in between and suggested 3 hour intervals.

And no, habits form over a period of about 27 days.

Meal planning is listing out what you eat for future meals. Meal prep is actually making those meals in advance.

Some people find that pre-logging the day helps them stick to it..
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    On a body transformer jouney (weight loss, muscle gain, etc), there's a very true saying that it's a "marathon, not a sprint". Well just like an actual marathon, you can't start out sprinting and expect to keep it up.

If you find yourself hungry by mid-afternoon and eating too much, it's probably because you haven't had enough to eat earlier in the day and are hungry. Simple solution would be to eat a bit more for breakfast and then have a low calorie/nutrient dense snack (like an apple) midway between breakfast and lunch.