Workout Gear Discussion: Best type of socks for working out

Options
akafful
akafful Posts: 64 Member
Hey everybody,

I want to know what the best type of socks are to wear with your workout shoes.
*Crew Socks
*Quarter Socks
*Ankle Socks
*No show

It would especially help if it was based on form and function.

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike dri-fit quarter socks with compression sleeves for my calves. I'm prone to strains and tightness and such. Wear what's comfortable for you.
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    I just rock ankle socks. Fila's from Costco. I adore the @!#$ out of them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    My shoes require no socks.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So many variables...

No show socks with shorts (unless hiking or trail running... quarter or crew height in those cases). Wool or synthetic, but never cotton. Color matched to the sneakers. Usually a thin as possible, but depends on the shoe and the activity.

Calf - height (crew) with pants. Usually wool, never cotton. Color matched to the pants. Thickness depends on the activity - thin for anything active /without related, thicker for general day to day wear in the winter, thin in the summer.

Smartwool are my go to brand, but ibex makes excellent socks. I've also got a ton of swiftwicks.
  • akafful
    akafful Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So based on these comments, quarter socks is the way to go?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depends on the workout. When i hike i like tall socks under boots. When I run I like quarter socks to help prevent ankle blisters. Dont have much preferance for walking, yoga, body weight exercise socks.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    paper thin socks which wick moisture away from the skin are best....

I like DeFeet brand for running and cycling

Pearl Izumi socks are also a staple in my sock drawer... mainly for cycling or training.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I second the Smartwools. Also twenty-38 socks.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I have 36 pairs or UnderArmor quarter socks (I can be cheap as H and they were on clearance). I also hate matching socks when I do laundry so I bought all of them they had....they all match each other. I'm just comfortable in quarter socks and they are the length of most of my trouser/everyday socks.