One hand/leg lifts

Options
Do you do any one hand/leg lifts? I do a couple. Do you start with your weaker or stronger side first and why? I hadn't given it much thought and just institutionally started with my stronger side first.

A few weeks ago I was thinking about it as I was trying to get the last rep on my weaker side. I decided it made more sense to start with my weaker side first - while I had a little more energy in my tank. It may be a little too soon to tell but I think the swap has made it easier to complete the last set. :)

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I do single-arm lifts all the time. They're great for helping your weaker side catch up. Best to start with the weak side, do your reps, and repeat the same rep number on the stronger side.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do weighted lunges and step ups to rehab my knees. I read a recommendation to do those for patello-femoral (sp?) knee pain on MFP, and after about a year of doing them the change in my knees is amazing.
  • Simpyll
    Simpyll Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'd start with the weak side.

Let's say you fail a rep early with the weak side.. Then you can match the strong side to that number. The reverse isn't possible.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I was going to chime in....but agree with what has already been stated (start with the week-side)....there, chimed in anyway!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple single leg lifts, but hadn't really put much thought into which side to start with.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Simpyll wrote: »
    I'd start with the weak side.

Let's say you fail a rep early with the weak side.. Then you can match the strong side to that number. The reverse isn't possible.

That is very true! Oddly that is one of the things that often pushed me to get the last rep or two when I really shouldn't...
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    One arm dumbbell overhead press is a great exercise.

You can use the other arm to help get it into position and go quite heavy.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    One arm dumbbell overhead press is a great exercise.

You can use the other arm to help get it into position and go quite heavy.

I do those and love it...but kinda hate it too! Shoulder work is very fatiguing while doing it but I seem to recover from it the fastest.