Running and cross training (schedule question)

Options
Hey all,

I'm a former runner of 10 years with about a dozen halfs and a full under my belt. About 3 years ago I suffered a minor back injury, that combined with a ton of life stress knocked me off all fitness for almost 2 years. I slowly started coming back last summer with walking and yoga, then adding strength, them finally adding running in January.

Running is going really well, and after having consistent 5-6 mile runs through June without any issues, I signed up for a half in August (woohoo!)

Despite having done quite a few in the past, I was always primarily a runner with occasional cross training. Now I'm much more varied and trying to figure out the best way for me to get ready for the half.

Current schedule:
Monday: easy yoga, maybe slow short run <3mi

Tuesday: boot camp (cardio, weights), spin

Wednesday: body pump (weights) and core, might run 1-2 mile slowly

Thursday - active rest - light yoga and walk

Friday - tabata (30 min weights, 30 min cardio); might swim 1000m

Saturday - body pump, walk

Sunday - long run (up to an 8miler last week)

I don't want to say I'm a weekend warrior since I work out all week, but I've found myself missing a lot of the "maybe" runs and just doing my classes. This schedule also assumes I don't work in a week - if I do I miss a Friday or Saturday workout. Should I drop classes to add mileage? Add mileage and keep classes (that might not go over super well with my hubs....) Or just gradually up my long runs and keep my week about the same since I'm getting a good cardio mix in, including work on tired legs?

Replies

• summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Adding: I'm very hesitant to dropping either yoga or the core class. I feel like they're pretty imperative to having gotten my back rehabbed and staying healthy.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Personally I’d drop one of the mid-week classes and add another run. As it is, you are barely running at all during the week.

Keep the strength training, but I’d swap cardio for running to get the mileage and practice.

Are you doing doubles? I tend to be a morning runner, as I can get in 3-4 miles before work, this allows me to do something else in the evening, whether weights, crossfit, swim or dance class. I definitely think yoga is a good thing for runners - I’ve been doing yin yoga and sweat it’s helped me not get injured.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I’ve always been a cross trainer and managed half’s just fine. My schedule was 4 days of strength/cardio plus one long run. My cardio sessions tended to be 2 tempo runs in the 2-4 mile range and whatever else I wanted for the other 2 days. My mileage was always grossly inadequate to most plans, but having a general fitness base, I had no problems completing. If your goal is completion, you should be fine. If you notice you’re unable to add the mileage to your long runs, tweak your supplemental runs as needed to ensure you are getting in strong long runs.
  • summpear
    Options
    The only straight cardio during the week is spin, and I like it because we do resistance (hill) and speed work. It is ridiculously flat where I live, so I seriously have to drive a solid 30 minutes to get anywhere with enough Hills to make it worthwhile. Doing the resistance training it spin definitely helps with hills.

I'm not opposed to adding a morning mid week run.. maybe 4ish on Wednesday morning? I could do Thursday but I hate to drop the mental aspect of a rest day. It gets all too easy to just keep adding on otherwise (away least for me).

I'm not PRing this course at all. My first half in over 4 years, in August, and it's a night trail race with rolling hills. Completion is good for me :) (but I have made a point of doing some of my midweek running at a park that's very hilly with gravel footing. I'm a solid min/mile slower there).
  • summpear
    Options
    Just wanted to update that I must be getting something right! I couldn't guarantee myself a long run tomorrow, plus I didn't want to accelerate my mileage much anyways, so I decided to go out today and run 10k. I figured I'd push my pace a bit and see if I could get some solid mileage in.

I shaved 4 minutes off. 4 minutes off 10k. Now granted, my others have tended to be part of my loving and slow mentality, but I couldn't believe the pretty even pace I maintained at (5 miles within 15sec of each other, pushed last 1.2 a bit more).

Speed being relative and everything. Fast for me :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would drop a class for a run midweek personally.

I only run 3x a week and that is generally considered the minimum, but if your current plan works for you then stick with it. You only have a few weeks to increase your mileage anyway.
  • daynajason
    daynajason Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a half in October. 14 weeks out. This will be my 7th half. I've never had any problems finishing by sticking to this plan. I don't care for running but signed up last 4 years in a row just to keep me motivated to exercise. Plan is running 3 X's per week. 5 miles Tuesdays and Thursdays and long runs on Saturdays adding 1/2 mile every week to the long runs, ending with 11 miles. Mondays I strength train back, bis and Tris plus 30 minutes cardio. Wednesday strength train legs with 30 minutes cardio, Friday strength train back and chest. Sunday rest day. This plan has always worked well for me and I believe I've avoided injuries due to all the strength training. I'm also training for my 2nd tough mudder in September. Super excited because last year was so much fun!
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am a huge believer in cross training. My week looks like this:
    Monday - Recovery run and spin and leg day!
    Tuesday - Run
    Wednesday - walk and weight training
    Thursday - Run
    Friday - Spin and weight training
    Saturday - Long run
    Sunday - walk, spin, weight training.

I find the combination of spin and weights has really kept me injury free. I was a mess when all I did is run. I agree with another poster, I'd add a fourth run somewhere.