Figured I'd give it a try!

cgrant71
cgrant71 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi All,
Well after gaining 20lbs in the last 2.5 years...it's time to get serious about getting back to a healthy lifestyle. So far I'm enjoying the calorie/exercise counter, but am finding it difficult to keep on track during holidays and weekends. This weekend was Valentine's Day, which resulted in me being over by 600 calories that day. How do I celebrate, i.e. good food and good wine, without blowing my weight loss. I know I'm supposed to cut back, make healthier choices, yada yada yada...but I find it hard to make those sacrifices when celebrating. Any tips that aren't the usual that you read in all those fashion magazines...you know the ones...the ones where everybody in it is a size "0"?

Replies

• cgrant71
    cgrant71 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi All,
    Well after gaining 20lbs in the last 2.5 years...it's time to get serious about getting back to a healthy lifestyle. So far I'm enjoying the calorie/exercise counter, but am finding it difficult to keep on track during holidays and weekends. This weekend was Valentine's Day, which resulted in me being over by 600 calories that day. How do I celebrate, i.e. good food and good wine, without blowing my weight loss. I know I'm supposed to cut back, make healthier choices, yada yada yada...but I find it hard to make those sacrifices when celebrating. Any tips that aren't the usual that you read in all those fashion magazines...you know the ones...the ones where everybody in it is a size "0"?
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Hi All,

Welcome to this great site:flowerforyou:

What has been beneficial to me when I want to "celebrate" a little is to make sure that I up my exercise routine. Good luck to you on your journey:happy:
  • Franm13
    Franm13 Posts: 3 Member
    I had Bariatric surgery in 2003, and lost weight until I was 225. About 2 years ago I started gaining and am now 271 after losing 7 pounds this week. Still trying after all these years.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Hey- the best thing is to plan for it. Drop the calories for the days around it (keeping above 1200 though) and boosting the exercise. Choose good quality food for the satisfaction and eat a smaller portion. Don't starve yourself that day- you'll only eat more in the end. Have a light lunch. Focus on the celebration with friends, rather than celebrating through food.

Also, remember that this is a lifestyle choice, not a diet. As such, occasional treats are not causes to beat yourself up- just to balanced with the rest of your lifestyle.

Maybe even try active celebrations- ice skating, bowling, etc.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Welcome to MFP. I just know you will love it here, if you don't already. I love this site. It is so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone here is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that you made the right choice in joining this site and good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Welcome!
  • Franm13
    Franm13 Posts: 3 Member
    I've promised myself that if I "overate" I'd "overexercise." I don't like exercise, but I've figured out how long in the gym working my "overeating " off would take. When I'm tempted I take out my PDA, tune in to Myfitness pal, and calculate. Usually then, the craving has passed, or I can decide I'll do the food and the exercise to get rid of it!
This discussion has been closed.