In need of advice and motivation!

Options
I’m new to this but not new to dieting:( if anyone has any good tips to stay motivated then please let me know.. this is my 10th attempt this year! Wondering where I’m going wrong

Replies

• geishagirl2640
    geishagirl2640 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I almost in the same mind set as yourself. I am wanting to get started but having a hard time to actually do it.
  • alexa0ne
    alexa0ne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I guess it happens to everyone. There are also time wherein I lost my motivation to do workout and be on shape again, but I will suddenly regain it back after quite some time. Don't be discouraged you can do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something completely different? Stop expecting to stay motivated. Motivation is your desire for a goal and your drive to achieve it. Losing weight is so so simple - eat less, move more - you don't even have to move at all as long as you eat less. Some days you just don't want to do (or not-do) it, but you still can - that's where discipline comes in. But you can't be disciplined to a plan that sucks. You need a good plan. A weightloss plan is simply two things - 1) create a calorie deficit, 2) eat and move in a way that fits in with your real life and actual preferences. The first part is easy and boring, the second part is fun and challenging. The first part is what every diet plan does for you, what you pay for, or let MFP do for you (free). The second part is your job.
  • sarahlouspencer
    sarahlouspencer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Forget the word/concept of diet! It always sounds so restrictive, boring and like hard work from the get go. Instead, considering this a shiny brand new lifestyle. Not about restriction, punishment and slogging through a period of time for a set goal. Rather, consider this journey as an act of love; nourishing your body and learning for care for your body in full so you can feel full of energy and happier as a result of a well fed body.

Be excited about food. It is no good and completely demotivating to be shovelling in boring meal after boring meal of the same old 'diet food.' Find new recipes. Learn to tweak foods you love to make them healthier. Eat what you enjoy and find new foods you enjoy. You have to love what you eat and look forward to your next meal.

Use your body in ways you enjoy. If you hate running it's going to be near impossible let to get yourself to go running regularly. Experiment, try swimming, walking, yoga, aerobics. Anything that excites you. But if you don't like an exercise routine - don't do it. Don't make this harder for yourself. whatever level of fitness you're at, don't get frustrated either. This Is a lifelong journey. You will progress and get better. Do what you can.

Work with a rewards/celebration attitude - not a depricating/punishment attitude. So you gain a couple of pounds one day - so what? You'll lose it again. We are human and we fluctuate. You lost 2lb well go you!! That's fantastic. This is not easy.

I also find a treat day once a week helps keep my cravings at bay. This means different things to different people. For some its a whole day off tracking, others one meal and for others a small unhealthy treat worked into their calories goal. Find out what works for you and stick with that.

Finally, enjoy yourself. life is for living. Enjoy how you feed and use your body. If there's a special occasion enjoy it and then carry on. Too much deprivation is demotivational and not realistic in the extreme long term.

Hope this helped x
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    "Diet" is the wrong word. Change slowly to a healthier life style. Make small adjustments, don't overthink the day ahead. Just start with a healthy breakfast and record all food / drinks on MFP. Soon you are into the first week - time does fly. (I am on day 91 - lost about 15 kg.)
  • elizabethmay95
    elizabethmay95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments! I think it’s just really difficult to find the right way to do something. I spend a lot of time writing about what to do but then only manage to follow it through for a day or two.
    I spent 2 years in a wheelchair which restricted me so much and left me sort of feeling sorry for myself! This is when I put on about 4 stone. A lot of people told me that the weight would just come off easily when I was able to walk again- instead I’ve put more weight on even though I walk for miles every day.
    I’m pretty good with excercise, it’s mainly just food and not having a clue what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat it!

It’s been so insightful reading the comments left for me. I love the idea of not having to be motivated all the time/ expecting to be motivated. I think a lot of what I do comes from just wanting to be motivated- which probably doesn’t help my motivation at all!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments! I think it’s just really difficult to find the right way to do something. I spend a lot of time writing about what to do but then only manage to follow it through for a day or two.
    I spent 2 years in a wheelchair which restricted me so much and left me sort of feeling sorry for myself! This is when I put on about 4 stone. A lot of people told me that the weight would just come off easily when I was able to walk again- instead I’ve put more weight on even though I walk for miles every day.
    I’m pretty good with excercise, it’s mainly just food and not having a clue what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat it!

It’s been so insightful reading the comments left for me. I love the idea of not having to be motivated all the time/ expecting to be motivated. I think a lot of what I do comes from just wanting to be motivated- which probably doesn’t help my motivation at all!
    I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. But what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat it is the easy part. MFP tells you how much to eat, you decide what and when to eat. You don't need special skills for that. What do you like? Eat that. The hard part is to not eat too much all the time.
  • bronaghCPM
    bronaghCPM Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're being a bit hard on yourself, I think it's ok to feel sorry for yourself if you're in a wheelchair for two years. Weight never comes off easily no matter what people tell you. Losing weight takes time, effort, patience and a real investment in your own health, it can't just be about punishing yourself.

I think tracking your food intake in your food diary will really help you. Most of us have no idea how much protein/fat/carbs we're getting until we start taking the time to examine our diets. You'll also get to see patterns over time and if you have a good week, you can look back and see what you did well and what might work again. Or if you're feeling grouchy or hungry at the end of the day you can review it, examine what you did wrong and avoid it in future.

Once you start tracking you'll also discover where you're going wrong, which foods aren't filling or satisfying enough to justify the calories. One time when back I first started using the tracker on mfp, I spent an entire morning munching dates that someone had brought into the office, when I logged them into my diary I realised I had just eaten about 500cals of dates without even thinking about it or enjoying them very much! It's really important to know what you're putting in your body and why.