Switching from JUST calories to calories + macros?

Options
K8sCrew
K8sCrew Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I’ve been counting calories for a few months but I’m ready to switch or transition to making better food choices/ eating healthier/ counting macros. But I’m not sure the best way to do that. Any suggestions? What should I set my ratios to? Do I check the nutrition on a food item before I eat it? Or will I eventually just get used to what “healthy foods” are and which to avoid? I love I can eat my favorite junk foods as long as I’m within my calorie count, but I’m ready to do better with my eating habits.

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You don't think you can switch to healthier foods and count calories too?
  • K8sCrew
    K8sCrew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I mean to do both! This probably seems like a dumb question but I feel like it’s a bit beyond me to follow my calorie goals AND eat meals that fit my macros 🤪
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I think that with any WOE, the food choices that you make tend to become more intuitive over time. I follow a Keto diet and have my macros set accordingly. I no longer pre-plan at all, but I know what foods are a better fit for my WOE so when I log at the end of the day, I find that I'm usually hitting my macros pretty close to dead on without much effort.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Macros are for satiety and nutrition, you want to make sure you at least get the minimum RDA for Protein & Fat and then make up the rest as suits you. The default macro split is usually fine, when you're first starting out with macros it can be helpful to pre-log so you get an idea of how to reach your macros for the day. Over time you'll be able to work out what makes your macros up for the day.

This is a useful infographic....
    9i2t7jarfh4x.jpg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you macros to follow. Monitor what your actual vs recommended macros have been then make needed adjustments. It might take some trial and error but it's doable. Open up your diary, let people know which macros you want to adjust and you'll gets lots of specific feedback. You don't have to change e erything at once, make a few small changes every few weeks, I found that if I focus on getting enough protein the rest falls into place.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pre logging might help?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like @TavistockToad said, I find pre-logging to be incredibly helpful. I log my meals the day before and that gives me a chance to make adjustments if I see a day is too low in fat or protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in diary review and gradual remodeling of eating - review your current eating, decide on improvement goals (such as "more protein" or "healthier fats" or whatever), see where you're spending the most calories in ways that don't help your goals, reduce those foods, increase foods you enjoy that better achieve your goal. (The chart posted above would be very helpful in that regard). My best description of what I mean was embedded (among some other stuff not currently as relevant to you) in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Pre-logging works great for many people and this diary-review approach is compatible with it . . . but I personally don't have the personality type to build my routine around prelogging. ;)