5 days in and failing

Options
Teamleslie
Teamleslie Posts: 112 Member
I cant seem to start eating better or exercising. I log in and log breakfast and thats it. 😭

Replies

• Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What seems to be the main issue? Do you get too busy and forget to log after breakfast? Or is it more of a motivational issue?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and exercising should be an integral part of your daily life, not something you stop and start and makes you cry. So what is your plan?
  • eliseoppedal
    eliseoppedal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could do meal preps? That usually makes it easier for me when the motivation isn't really there :smile:
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Teamleslie wrote: »
    I cant seem to start eating better or exercising. I log in and log breakfast and thats it. 😭

You need to make it a habit or find another way to diet that fits your lifestyle better.
    Best of luck.
  • longbranch92
    longbranch92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You need a strong ‘why’. Why do you need to follow this? For your health, to enjoy life to the fullest, do look great in a bikini........there are many reasons. You just need to identify yours and make it important enough to make this successful.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    If it's the logging that is the issue, try pre-logging your day.

If it's that you're feeling too restricted - try a slower rate of loss and eating foods you enjoy.

Try a different kind of exercise or activity, one that you enjoy.
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Meal prepping is essential! On Sundays I plan meals for the week, make my shopping list, and get the shopping done. There’s a great app called AnyList that allows you to store recipes, and make a variety of lists (grocery store list, Target list, SAMS Club list, etc), and also provides a calendar so you can input the meals for upcoming days. It’s extremely helpful. :)
  • Teamleslie
    Options
    Jams29 wrote: »
    What seems to be the main issue? Do you get too busy and forget to log after breakfast? Or is it more of a motivational issue?

Definitely a motivational issue.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Try getting into the habit of logging your food BEFORE you eat it.
  • debbikay_
    debbikay_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I lost 30 pounds 4 years ago with MFP and kept it off for 1-2 years. Gained it back and now I'm going through the exact same thing as you. For me its a motivational thing I believe. Just cant seem to stick with it this time. I work a very physically demanding job ( hospital housekeeper) so it's very hard for me to get myself to work out. In my opinion, more people than we know go through this. If we just keep trying I think we'll eventually get into the right mindset.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Do you have goals? - Where do you want to be in 2 months - 6 months? Try filling out "Why I want to get in Shape" & About Me" on your page - there is no wrong answer on that - Eastcoast Jim
  • Teamleslie
    Options
    debbikay_ wrote: »

I'm having the same problem. I lost 30 pounds 4 years ago with MFP and kept it off for 1-2 years. Gained it back and now I'm going through the exact same thing as you. For me its a motivational thing I believe. Just cant seem to stick with it this time. I work a very physically demanding job ( hospital housekeeper) so it's very hard for me to get myself to work out. In my opinion, more people than we know go through this. If we just keep trying I think we'll eventually get into the right mindset.

Same thing. Lost 20 lbs 4 years ago and gained it back. And im a nurse in a hospital so i completely understand your physical demands. Youre exhausted by the end of your shift. Maybe we can find a routine.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

The common thread through most of the above replies has to deal with habit-forming and structured discipline. Relying solely on motivation isn't sustainable when you allow yourself to decide regressing to your unproductive comfortable habits is ok. Pre-logging, meal planning/prepping, and changing your mindset about your "why" can all contribute; the way I think about it "how can I make the right choice, the easiest choice?"

Some suggestions:
    - Never go to the store hungry or without a plan. Within this plan identify foods/meals that allow you to stay within your daily calorie/macro goals and only shop for them. At the very least, identify some trigger foods or foods you have difficulty with self control (I believe you mentioned Cinnamon Toast Crunch in a post last week? Are you still buying this?). Find substitutes for calorie dense indulgences you can opt for to satisfy a craving without torpedoing your day or pad your calories to allow for a sensible portion of a treat you like
    - You shouldn't think about exercise in terms of "how many calories will I burn doing X?" or "I have to exercise for X minutes so I can eat Y." or as punishment for eating too much or something you feel you shouldn't have. I know this is easier said than done for a lot of people, but exercise should be a hobby; something you enjoy and has a purpose. Maybe that purpose is to existentially improve one's health, get better at doing a specific task or activity, to get stronger, or to try and shape your body a certain way (gain muscle). If you make exercise something that's intrinsically important to you, rather than just important for the sake of trying to lose weight, it becomes something you look forward to and don't need "motivation" to go do. Also, it's really hard to out-exercise a poor diet, despite what the fitness industry tries to sell, if you don't enjoy it, how much is it really worth doing?
    - Like @amusedmonkey stated, when you fail (your word), which you will, really take a forensic approach in examining why you failed, learn from it, and take steps to fail better next time.

Over time you'll learn about yourself and how you need to approach certain things to develop the habits and system that works for you and puts you in the best position to succeed.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The honest truth is it's not easy for some people.

You may fail along your journey. Many times in fact. You just have to keep pushing. Every time you fail, just get back to it the next day.

Eventually you get better. You get to the point where you can go weeks or months without failing.

That's always how it's been for me. I'm just hardheaded and won't quit.

Also, find ways to make it easier. Try different foods and recipes, don't eat things you really can't stand. Try different workouts - find a routine you can actually enjoy and stick to.

• Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

That's good to know. I'm the kind of person who starts a project enthusiastically, but I lose steam quickly so I understand the struggles of motivation. I am luckily in the business of behavior change, which helps me a lot. :) I have to respectfully disagree with some comments above as my discipline teaches that motivation is key to any behavior change program. Why do something if it doesn't benefit you? Sometimes the long-term benefits (i.e. health) are not directly reinforcing enough because they are hypothetical and gradual. Even losing weight is a slow process and it could take months or even years before you reach your goal, which can be disheartening. I'd recommend setting specific short-term goals for yourself (you can do so each day or each week...I like setting weekly goals myself). This makes this journey seem much more approachable. I like to pick something that I get to earn at the end of each week if I meet my goal (it can be something as small as a trip to the beach or park; it does not have to be expensive!!! Just motivating for you!). You also need someone (like the MFP community, friend, or someone else close to you who knows your goals) to keep you accountable. This is important because we often like to make exceptions for ourselves (thinking things like, "Well...I had a tough week. I can still treat myself." Or "I was SO close, I might as well still do what I want.") and this leads to slipping back into bad habits. You'd need to find someone who's not afraid to call you out. I'm not going to lie. It might suck sometimes. But to see progress you need to be consistent (I recently learned this myself when I tried to disregard my calorie limit on weekends...ended up gaining a bunch of weight back). If you stick with this and reinforce yourself for good behaviors, eventually it becomes more of a routine (and you might even enjoy the lifestyle change!).

For example, this week my goal is to work out 5 days for at least 30 minutes each day. If I meet that goal, I get to go check out a new archery store that just opened up in my town (which I'm pretty stoked for!). You can start as small as you want and "raise the bar" after some success. I'd start with something you KNOW you can do for sure. Like maybe: this week, stay under calorie goal for one day (or whatever).

I hope this helps! :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some tough love. ;)
  • debg2
    debg2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty much every day and have consistently for 30 years. I put on a bunch of weight this past year because of a torn MCL and hurt heel. Getting back into to it has been a little tough, but I use the trick that always works for me - though it might not work for everyone.

I put on my work-out clothes and walk out the door (or go to my attic gym). If I still don't feel like working out I just turn around. The only rule is you have to put on your work out clothes and go to where you work out. It is OK to turn around. It is OK not to work out, you can try again tomorrow. That's a big part of it - it's okay not to feel like working out, most of us don't feel like working out. But if you just put on your work-out clothes and go to where you work out, you inevitably end up doing something. Do it everyday, those "somethings" add up.

There's only been one or two times that I remember that I put on my work-out clothes, went to where I was going to work out and actually didn't work out. There were a few times I got on the bike for 5-10 minutes and called it quits, but most of the time, I completed a work-out. Just don't beat yourself up about it. The only rule -- put on your work-out clothes and go to where you work out. And I think telling myself that I didn't really have to work out if I didn't feel like it, got me started, and that's the hardest part

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    debg2 wrote: »
    I work out pretty much every day and have consistently for 30 years. I put on a bunch of weight this past year because of a torn MCL and hurt heel. Getting back into to it has been a little tough, but I use the trick that always works for me - though it might not work for everyone.

I put on my work-out clothes and walk out the door (or go to my attic gym). If I still don't feel like working out I just turn around. The only rule is you have to put on your work out clothes and go to where you work out. It is OK to turn around. It is OK not to work out, you can try again tomorrow. That's a big part of it - it's okay not to feel like working out, most of us don't feel like working out. But if you just put on your work-out clothes and go to where you work out, you inevitably end up doing something. Do it everyday, those "somethings" add up.

There's only been one or two times that I remember that I put on my work-out clothes, went to where I was going to work out and actually didn't work out. There were a few times I got on the bike for 5-10 minutes and called it quits, but most of the time, I completed a work-out. Just don't beat yourself up about it. The only rule -- put on your work-out clothes and go to where you work out. And I think telling myself that I didn't really have to work out if I didn't feel like it, got me started, and that's the hardest part

I use a variation of this trick on weekends sometimes. My wife works occasional weekends where I'm left to my own devices. I know my tendencies and that I'm fully capable of occupying my whole day doing nothing of consequence (video games, golf, etc.). If I want to get a workout in but don't feel like doing it when I first wake up I'll put my workout clothes first thing anyway, so there's one less obstacle between me sitting in my recliner and working out. Similarly, works like a charm.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Write down your larger end goal and chop that into smaller achievable goals.

Weight is an output of behavior. You want to manage the weight you need to manage the behavior.

If you were managing a patient and only charted morning medicine would that make sense? Go slowly on this, but start by logging everything. It takes me ~5 mins doing this daily. Smartphones make this easy. Don't overthink this and focus on what matters - at this point it's just calories. Once you get that down then focus on macros, then move on from there....or don't. Do what works with your goals.