How did you decide on your goal weight?

Options
NikaIris
NikaIris Posts: 42 Member
I'm 5'7 and my SW was 210. Right now I weigh 152lbs and it feels amazing. (It took me about a year to get there.)
But I'm not sure about my goal weight. At the moment I am pretty content but I don't feel "done" yet and I wondered "when did it feel right for you?"

When I was 18/19 I used to weigh 125lbs, but now at 36 I'm pretty sure that is "too thin", especially for my bone structure. Right now I want to see how it feels at 135-140lbs and I wondered: How did you know you reached the perfect weight for yourself? Did it just feel "right"? Did you have a goal weight in mind from day 1 and just stopped when you reached it? Did you adjust your GW up or down during your journey? Did some of you went too far and were like "Oh, I'd rather gain a few pounds back, because I don't like this"? Were you just stuck one day and thought "Well, this seems legit, I'll start maintaining now?"

My friends are no help because some of them say I look awesome (but they also said I look awesome when I used to weigh 210 lbs, so...) and some find me "too thin" already.

So how was it for you? When did you know you reached the "right" weight?

Replies

• Iffiormana
    Iffiormana Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you think you were too skinny at 125lbs then I would go with 140lbs as your goal weight.I’m 5’7 and when I was 140 I looked fine as hell so for me I want to get back to that.Some girls look fat even when they are in 120s and some are too skinny at 160s.
    So it all depends upon your height,bone structure & your needs.If you want size zero than go for it,if you think a little *kitten* & boobs is what you want than stop when you achieve them :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am male, a little under 5'8" and normal frame. BMI is legit for me, so under 25 was my goal. That's 164 for 5'8". If I use 5'7", it's 159. I am around 157 now and probably will lose another 5-8 in the next few months. I am 59 and the shrinking has started, so I will probably be "declared" 5'7" at my next annual physical in December. I like the top of my range ~5 pounds below 24.9 BMI.
  • layanqui
    layanqui Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    We have very similar stats. I'm also 5'7", and I started out at about 215 lbs. My original goal weight was 159, which is just within the healthy BMI range for our height. When I made it to my first goal, I decided that I could stand to lose a bit more (I have some very stubborn belly fat that I'm trying to get rid of), so I went for 155. Once at 155, I decided that I could still go lower.

I'm currently at 153 lbs. My plan now is to lose in five-pound increments until I'm satisfied. I have a feeling that I'll wind up around 140 or 145. I don't think I want to go lower than that (I want maintenance to be realistic, and I don't want to look too thin). Like you, I've already had some people tell me I should stop, but it's my body and I determine when I'm satisfied with it, not them.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Look at maintenance calories for the weight you want to be and decide if you can live with it.

I’m 5’8” and 51 and today I weighed 158. I know I could lose a few more around my belly, but it’s been really hard getting lower. I also want to balance enjoying life and feeling great. I feel great now and do not feel like I’m starving all the time. I’ve never been thin like you, so where I am now is the smallest I’ve ever been in my life. I’m good with it.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6.5 in (169 cm), and when starting, at 155, I set the goal at 128 lbs. That is how much I weighed one summer when I felt I looked the best / fittest. It's the goal I set in MFP when I first made an account, and I have not altered it for five years, until this March.

I dropped to that and then below that recently. Only started weight training and higher intensity cardio when I reached maintenance (NOT recommending this), and in the losing process - which was interrupted countless times - I lost muscle too, so stuff looked pudgier. I am working at body recomposition at 123-124 lbs, and to be fair I could do with a couple more pounds of muscle.

Ultimately, in the losing game most of us get very fixated on the scale but the scale only gets you so far. Granted, very close to goal, but equally important is how you really feel and what your lbs are made of :smile:

When it feels right, it's usually right. I wouldn't look at what others believe, except in the case when everyone tells you you're too skinny (then that might imply a self-image problem which needs to be addressed).
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    NikaIris wrote: »

So how was it for you? When did you know you reached the "right" weight?

It’s called ideal body weight (IBW). The calculation been around for 100 years and was tuned in a few times which only resulted in +-5lb. The Devine formula is most commonly used now, I believe, all medications dosage calculated off this IBW and then doc adjusts it up based on how fat his patient is. 5’7” male = 146#, female=136#. Find it on mdcalc.com/ideal-body-weight
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I had an original goal weight of 150lbs (5'7" woman). I've changed what I want my goal to be: my overall condition vs weight.

I don't care what the scale says anymore, my new ultimate goal is:
    In one hour: run a 10k, do two 90° push-ups, do 20 pull-ups. I'm still a long way off, but I'm getting just a little closer every day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself maintaining long term anytime soon.

I'm also 5'7. My goal weight has been all over the place. I did drop too low at one point (121lb) and had to gain 10lbs back in muscle and fat. Since then I've had another baby and have been running bulk/cut cycles to increase my muscle base and be able to have a higher goal weight.
    I typically will lose and assess every 3-5lbs as I get close to my ideal physique.

Right now I am sitting around 138lbs, I would say goal right now is around 135lbs. My ultimate goal will probably be around 140lbs lean, maybe? But in the end I don't really know if I will ever get to my ideal weight where I can just maintain forever.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Where my powerlifting competition weight cut-off lands...
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6.5" and my original goal weight was 140 lbs. (I wanted to fit into my size 10 jeans and knew I weighed about 140 when I did.) I was a size 14 when I started (not sure how much I weighed scale-wise, but my best guess is around 170.) Once I hit 140, though, I wanted to get leaner so I set a new goal of 130. I'm currently in maintenance at about 129 pounds, give or take a pound or two in either direction. I'm very slim, a size S or XS and a size 4, 6, or sometimes an 8, depending on the cut and brand. I'm quite happy here, but as I'm in body recomp mode, it isn't just the scale I'm watching.
  • lhebert1969
    lhebert1969 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 & 5'4..started out at 294 & currently at 273..Hoping to get back down to at least under 200..6 years ago I lost 91 lbs & was just under 200..In high school I was 150 & that was my perfect weight (big boobs & hips..tiny waist..lol)..I know I probably won't be that size again..but at least wanna get back into the 100's..If I do finally get under 200..I may try losing more..but that would be a different goal.. :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Choose a number that sounds/feels reasonable for you (perhaps using BMI as a loose guide). The beauty of it is that your goal weight isn't written in stone - if you get partway there and are happy with where you are, you've reached your goal. If you get to your original chosen goal weigh and still aren't happy, you can always change it.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I didnt choose a final number beforehand.

When I started, I set a number of 190lbs. It would still put me overweight but I felt like it was achievable. It was not my goal weight, but just a weight I wanted to get to and then re-evaluate. When I get to 190, I will take off 5lbs increments until I find my "sweet spot." where I am comfortable with my body and with the maintenance calories. I still dont have a "goal weight"

Set small goals and re-evaluate how you feel from there. If you like where you are at, then stop. If you want to keep going, do a couple more lbs. If you are happy now and decide in a few months to keep going then do that. It is all about how you feel.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’8’’, female. My normal weight BMI would be just under 75kg (165lbs), but even before I felt like that would be too low for me. I have a fairly good muscle base, a large frame and, well, giant boobs that don’t seem to be going away anytime soon. So, my mental goal weight has been to get under 80kg (176lbs).

Last week I had a 6-month follow-up to an InBody body composition analysis, and among the things it analyses and calculates is your ideal weight. For me, that ideal weight was 78,8kg or 173lbs, and according to the coach the machine calculates it basically by including your current muscle mass, bones, organs etc., and adding a healthy body fat percentage to that. In the 6 months I have gained some muscle, so the ideal weight had increased a little bit as well. Seems like my original thinking regarding my goal weight was spot on. Right now I think I’ll work on weight loss until I reach my original goal of under 80, and then switch to maintenance + improving fitness, and if the 3lbs come off, they come off. Currently, I’m not even in one-derland yet, so no rush to decide.
  • googtoyou
    googtoyou Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’m 6’ with a goal weight of 150. I started at 178 which isn’t overweight for my height, but my clothes were getting tight and I was not going to buy a new wardrobe due to something I can control. 150 is where I was when I felt my best. The only other weight I’d be okay with comes with a caveat. I wouldn’t mind 180, which is where I was when I was in the Air Force, but I’d have to have the muscle mass I did then and I’m no longer willing to spend 2-3 hours a day in the gym to achieve that.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I guess I haven’t decided on my ultimate goal weight. My goal for July is to get to <180. Almost there! Then it will be <170 by the time my boyfriend gets back from deployment. Then...I guess 10 pounds at a time until I find a happy place.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to find my goal weight as well. I'm 5'4" and started at 230. My original goal was my pre-pregnancy weight of 172. I hit that and am at 147 now. I feel great, and clothes fit great, but I definitely have a good amount of fat around the middle. I'm thinking another 5 pounds would be good, but I don't want to kill myself to get there you, know? If I can maintain around 145 I think I'll be happy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!