Not losing weight :(

Options
Please can some one help, I’ve been really poorly and 3 weeks ago I changed my diet and lifestyle to lose some weight I’m doing a diet called celeb slim which is a shake diet 3 times a day one sensible evening meal a 30 min walk a day and lots of water.
I’m walking atleast 5 miles a day, drinking lots of water or squash (no added sugar) not having snacks at all and sticking to the shake rules but not losing anything. Where am I going wrong my calorie intake a day is around 1200 whilst burning of 600 calories

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. How much do you weigh, how much do you have to lose?
    2. How are you determining that 1200 is an appropriate goal, and how are you ensuring that you're hitting it.
    3. Based on your assertion that you're burning 600 calories by walking 5 miles, you weigh over 220 lbs, in which case you should probably be eating more than 1200 calories a day, especially if you're walking 5 miles a day.

• kellydavies250
    kellydavies250 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh 168 lbs and want to get down to 140lbs
    I use this app which when I put all my details in it put me on 1200 calories a day,
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I weigh 168 lbs and want to get down to 140lbs
    I use this app which when I put all my details in it put me on 1200 calories a day,

Did you pick 2 pounds a week as your goal rate of loss? That's the most aggressive goal and it's too aggressive for your current weight.

• kellydavies250
    Options
    Yes I did,
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    What brand of food scale are you using to weigh the ingredients in your dinner?

Are you weighing the powder for the shake mix? Using scoops is often inaccurate, and most manufacturers scoops are 25-50% larger than the label serving suggestion.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Yes I did,

I would adjust that goal and pick something more reasonable. You'll then get a calorie goal that is more sustainable.

Are you eating back any of your exercise calories?

When you log your evening meal, how are you measuring your portions? Are you estimating, using measuring cups, or using a food scale?

Three weeks is probably too early to get worried, but it never hurts to ensure your logging is accurate.
  • kellydavies250
    Options
    Thank you for your help,

Jane I’ve been sticking strictly to salads with 2 boiled eggs and grilled chicken, sounds daft but no I haven’t eaten any of my exercise calories as I thought that would defeat the object of having them (sorry can tell I’m pretty thick with this sort of thing)
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The minimum calories MFP will recommend is 1200 because that is widely accepted as the minimum your body needs to maintain reasonable functionality, but that does not mean that by eating 1200 you will actually meet your "2lbs per week" goal.

Given your weight of 168, 2lbs per week is not a healthy rate of loss. I'd expect that if you changed the goal to 1lb per week you would still be around 1200 calories.

I wish that MFP would give some sort of popup in their app/site because there are a lot of people that come with the same question.

As far as the not losing weight at all goes, the answers above are spot on. Make sure you measure everything on a scale and then match that to the posted nutrion. Don't just assume "one shake pouch" or whatever is actually what it says it is.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank you for your help,

Jane I’ve been sticking strictly to salads with 2 boiled eggs and grilled chicken, sounds daft but no I haven’t eaten any of my exercise calories as I thought that would defeat the object of having them (sorry can tell I’m pretty thick with this sort of thing)

If your calorie goal comes from MFP, the intention is for you to eat back your exercise calories. The goal already puts you at a deficit. In your case, since you chose a very aggressive weight loss goal, it would already put you at a really high deficit -- assuming you aren't inadvertently eating more than you think you are. If you're estimating portion sizes or using measuring cups, it's possible that you are eating more. If you're having three shakes a day and you're using the scoop that comes with the container to make the shakes, it's possible that you're getting more than the 40 grams per serving (I looked at the website for the product and that is the recommended serving size).

So making sure your logging is accurate is a good thing and something that is usually worth checking out.

But more importantly, does this plan make you happy? It sounds like your goal is really low. Do you like the shakes? Because they're just soy protein, vitamins, and flavoring and you're allotting at least 600 of your daily calories to them. And your dinner, is that what you like eating? There's nothing wrong with chicken, salad, and eggs, but are you sticking to that because you're worried about eating other things?

• kellydavies250
    Options
    To be honest I started on the shakes as I’d been extremely poorly in hospital and any thing Id eaten was causing my stomach to swell with agonising pain, they couldn’t find the cause but did say it could be ibs. So knowing my stomach can tolerate the shakes I went back on them and a strict salad for tea I increased my exercise in the hope that it would all help shift a little weight but with no success as yet. The lady at my gym did say I wasn’t eating enough but in my head I feel like when I’m eating I’m just getting fatter but when I stay strict aswell I don’t see no difference either 😞
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another thing to check is your exercise calories. A 5mile walk for someone at 170lbs should be around 450calories give or take a few not 600.

• kellydavies250
    Options
    It’s 600 in total by the time I’ve finished the day but yes your right about 450 for the walk by the time I’ve finished running around after my horses and kids it totals out to 600
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes I did,

I would adjust that goal and pick something more reasonable. You'll then get a calorie goal that is more sustainable.

Are you eating back any of your exercise calories?

When you log your evening meal, how are you measuring your portions? Are you estimating, using measuring cups, or using a food scale?

Three weeks is probably too early to get worried, but it never hurts to ensure your logging is accurate.

This is important OP, how do you calculate the calories in your dinner? What exactly did you have yesterday?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options
    Another thing to check is your exercise calories. A 5mile walk for someone at 170lbs should be around 450calories give or take a few not 600.

Even just about 250. The generally accepted equation is distance (miles) * weight (lbs) * 0.3