Why do I keep sabotaging myself....

Options
Everyday I restart my calorie counting with MFP which means in the past 4-5 months I've lost a meesley 5lb when I know I could've lost a whole lot more.

I just can't get past this awful viscous circle I am in...When I'm feeling down I eat, when I'm feeling happy I eat....I stick to calories 1 day, 2 day, 3 day, 4 day then BAM! This little voice comes into my head and says "oh just have a little binge eat and you can start again tomorrow".

My weigh-in day changes every bloomin week because I keep trying to kid myself that a different weigh-in day will help me.

I workout in the gym on my lunch break most days, take for example today: I've had yet another bad weekend with food so I thought right, get over it and just start re-tracking today, I went to the gym, so far so good, ate my lunch which was Sushi Rolls and I had a bag of crisps, so far so good then all of a sudden I get this "urge" to just eat so I got a pain au raisen, some honey coated cashew nuts then demolished a Kind Nut Bar and now I'm sat here thinking why oh why!

I had chinese takeaway twice at the weekend, its like I just can't help myself stay on track. I don't feel depressed at all, I feel happy today but as I said I over-eat when I'm sad and I over-eat when I'm happy and content but now I'm sad for eating all that which means I'm sat here thinking "right, tomorrow I'll start again"....but I've been starting again for the past 4-5 months and I'm getting nowhere.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behaviour and how did you get yourself out of it...

Replies

• msbasil
    msbasil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm still there too. I feel like I do really well and then, "Bam" it's chips, something sweet, etc. I feel like I'm on a treadmill that I can't get off. I'm working out every day but the food has it's grip.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Its just so disheartening isn't it. I don't even know why I do it, I think that frustrates me the most is the not knowing why! If I felt low in mood or stressed at that moment in time when I do it then I could understand but most of the time I feel quite content and I'm in an even better mood because I went to the gym today too but then all of a sudden that little voice comes and says "mmm what can I have now, lets hit the canteen" and always always after my binge I feel sooo lethargic which is what I feel right now, currently sat in work thinking I need a sleep.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Options
    I was thinking of maybe trying an actual food diary where I write it down and maybe set myself some small daily goals such as 1. stay within calorie limit 2. Ask myself do I really need it? 3. If I feel that urge drink some water or have a black coffee etc etc....

I feel like I need something that will break this cycle I am in but I don't really know where to start.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    I was thinking of maybe trying an actual food diary where I write it down and maybe set myself some small daily goals such as 1. stay within calorie limit 2. Ask myself do I really need it? 3. If I feel that urge drink some water or have a black coffee etc etc....

I feel like I need something that will break this cycle I am in but I don't really know where to start.

Try pre logging your food. Eat things you want to eat, not 'diet food' that you like you should eat.

Have you set your deficit too high?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Have you tried calorie cycling? Save a few cals for a higher calorie day. Best of luck.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I find eating more protein helps reduce cravings for snacks. I make a protein shake for breakfast, with some fruit, and make sure to have protein with each meal. My diary is open, you are welcome to take a look.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200, I have tried the odd day of calorie cycling as like some people I tend to eat more at the weekends so its nice to have that little extra but at the moment I don't even get past a few days of sticking to my 1200 and in comes that voice again to which I then say "Oh its OK, I'll start again next week".

Yes I definitely find eating more protein helps me stay fuller for longer too. The problem for me too (I think) is that I'm an over thinker so I'm constantly worrying about what to eat for lunch, should I eat carbs, should I not etc etc...and that over-thinking drives me to just over eat on the stuff I so didn't want to over-eat on.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could plan and prepare your meals, and of course make sure there are no "too easy to eat" foods around, except when you have planned for them.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200, I have tried the odd day of calorie cycling as like some people I tend to eat more at the weekends so its nice to have that little extra but at the moment I don't even get past a few days of sticking to my 1200 and in comes that voice again to which I then say "Oh its OK, I'll start again next week".

Yes I definitely find eating more protein helps me stay fuller for longer too. The problem for me too (I think) is that I'm an over thinker so I'm constantly worrying about what to eat for lunch, should I eat carbs, should I not etc etc...and that over-thinking drives me to just over eat on the stuff I so didn't want to over-eat on.

1200 might be too low for you right now. I was in a similar cycle. By increasing my calories I found it much easier to stick to on a regular basis. Being able to stick with a smaller deficit 90% of the time is better than sticking to a bigger deficit 5% of the time. Which is going to get you further ahead in the long run? And yes, it is a long run.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Options
    This is the calorie goal MFP gives me, I think I opted to lose 1.5lb a week or something. Should I maybe change it to lose 1lb per week?

Or if I work out my TDEE do I just take 25% off that figure and work from the calories left?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    This is the calorie goal MFP gives me, I think I opted to lose 1.5lb a week or something. Should I maybe change it to lose 1lb per week?

Or if I work out my TDEE do I just take 25% off that figure and work from the calories left?

Whichever you'd rather do. But take 20% off not 25.
  • Ymerdrys
    Ymerdrys Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are too hard on your self. Everybody falls in, and it can take years to get the right mindset. So dont bash your self, that will only make i worse.

Maybe you should lover your goal. Start by removing lets say 200kcal from what you normally should eat to maintain weight. Then after a week or two, remove another 100kcals. This way you are adjusting your body to get lower amounts of food, and it will adapt. We all have a sweet spot, and that is different from each person.

It also sounds like you need to start meal prepping. Always have some fruit or veggies ready, so when the munches hit you, you end up eating low density food vs. high density food.

I know this is not easy at all. Everytime i get sad i get cravings for something crispy or sweet. Sugersnaps and radishes have been great little snacks for me, heck even one evening i ate a bowl of peas, because it was all i had. Seek inspiration from vegetarians, they are clearly the masters of healthy snacks.

In general it all adds up to portion size, when you wanna loose weight. I hate when people become restrictive about what they are allowed to eat. You just have to change the size of the portions, and get some management strategies. A trick could be to allow your self to have a portion of 20gram og crisps, and leave the bag in the kitchen. If this is impossible for you, then you should avoid buying the snacks until you can control it. I found making my own popcorns without fat in a pot, is a great substitute for crisps. It has bite like crisps, and salt, and 50gram of corn is more than enough to make me satisfied, and only adds around 170 kcal vs 1000kcal if i ate a bag of crisps.

Another thing you could try is to sit down at start tasting the things you normally crave. Your tastebuds actually might be lying to you. A simple test could be to take a bag of your favorite crisps. Take one crisp in your mouth, and let the saliva reach it, and dont crush it with your teeth. Now give your tastebuds a chance to really taste all the flavours of the crisp. Even give your self the chance to feel the texture change from hard to soft. Some people actually feels disgusted putting that snack in their mouth after that :)

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Either is good, just stay consistent. Are you eating back exercise calories, or at least a portion of them?

I used TDEE and took off 20%. It was nice to have a daily target that didn't fluctuate. Just have to stay consistent with exercise on a weekly basis.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,481 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Forget about why, it doesn’t matter. Or try this for why- you’re conflicted and part of your brain likes things just the way they are. Part of our brain hates change of any kind. Seems like most brains have it in for weight loss in particular. Why doesn’t really fix things.

A why question- why are you set on 1200 cals? Is it because that’s the most aggressive program on MFP?

Start out by logging your intake. Don’t be overly concerned with hitting your number at first. Try to calculate what you normally take in and start cutting back from there. All you need is a modest downward trend and time. Most folks wreck themselves over the time it takes to lose. Don’t.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your calorie deficit is too aggressive - that's very often the case at 1200. It's simply not enough to fuel your activity more than a few days before you break down and over eat. You need balance and patience. You haven't provided your stats or how much you want to lose, but I'd set your loss rate at 1 lb/wk. If it still gives you 1200 or close to it, change it to .5 lb/wk.

Patience and consistency are your friends when you're trying to lose weight especially if your real goal is to actually keep the weight off.

All the best.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    For the habit-breaking, or munching snacks just because I wanted to, I did this:

First step: put all snacks/extra portions where you cannot easily get them during the day. This way you have to make an effort to get it in the first place! Seriously, this really works!

When the craving starts acknowledge it but don't get up. Tell yourself you are going to wait 30 mins and see if you still want it.
    If you still want it/kept thinking about it, go and grab yourself 1 serving size and walk away.
    If you forgot about it and no longer feel the craving congratulate yourself on avoiding empty calories.

This helped me break the habit of snacking all day just because food was readily available. Usually by the time 30 mins had passed I had distracted myself and no longer wanted the snack.
  • dianne_demars
    dianne_demars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you put your calorie goal at 0.5 pounds per day in stead of 2 lbs per week. That's what I do and so far I have been consistent for 90 days straight, slow and steady wins the race.
  • dianne_demars
    dianne_demars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also you can do whats called macro roll over and put your overage calories into tomorrows calories as long as you are healthy about your food choices the next day you should be fine.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I’ve been there — I’m only 2 weeks into my new lifestyle and I’m constantly thinking about junk food. I think it’s the fact that food gives instant gratification. The thought of having to be strong for weeks and months on end is not a nice thought so we kind of put it to the back of our mind in favour of the instant pleasure food brings. I wish I knew how to make them feelings go away. I allowed myself some junk food this past weekend as a reward for 2 weeks of calorie restriction.
    I usually struggle to get back onto the wagon when I’ve allowed myself a cheat day because I then face the thought of another long wait until my next treat day, but this time around I’ve managed to stay strong and yesterday and today, got straight back into calorie restriction mode. I don’t know if I can go another 2 weeks without a treat but I’m going to go as long as possible. I just need to get this instant gratification of junk food out of my mind and think about the long term me. This time next week will come around and then I’ll be very proud of myself, which feels so much better than a quick binge does. :)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think we all have times that we eat our feelings or because we're bored or even just out of habit. I've found it helpful to have a plan for those times that don't involve food. Then when those feelings and urges come up, I execute my plan first and then re-evaluate. For example, if I'm happy I'll text a friend and share whatever put me in a good mood. If I'm sad, I figure out what's bothering me and see what I can change about that situation. Usually those will distract me and the urge to watch just passes.

I've also made it harder to get to food. Any snacks get broken up into single servings right away so it becomes more difficult to eat an entire container of something. I also don't allow food into my house unless I have a specific plan to eat it. I live alone, so that's feasible and also cuts down significantly on food waste.