1200 calories to lose 2lbs a week but only 1250 to lose 1lb? Does that make sense?

Options
Sorry I may be being stupid. Can’t get my head around this.
For June I put settings to lose 2lb a week which I did so that was great.
I now want to alter to losing 1lb a week as I am very close to my weight goal. However it’s only giving me 1250 calories I was expecting maybe 200 or 300 more? I was previously on 1200.
I am 51 and 130lbs. I run 5 times a week and always eat most exercise calories back but other than that I am very inactive. Sat on my bottom most of the time.
Anyone any thoughts on the calories? Seems odd to me.
Thank you.

Replies

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @lisafrancis888 -- the 1200 number is a "floor" or minimum value that MFP will set for females.

The numbers you're seeing are related to a 2lb/week loss goal falling somewhere below a 1200 calorie/day intake, and your 1lb/wk goal being slightly above that lower limit. (note that the 1-lb.wk value is also very well supported by your observed weight loss rate of 1-lb/wk on 1200 cals/day)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    For a 2 pound per week loss you would need a calorie goal of 750 per day. Mfp won't give you a goal that low since that would be very unhealthy so it bottoms out at 1200. Since you don't have much weight to lose you should really set your goal at .5 pound per week loss which would give you 1500 calories per day.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ah that makes total sense. Thank you both very much. .5 sounds fine so I will adjust.