spinning

when i entered spinning for 45 mins it only said its about 400 caloires, i did the cross trainer other day in the gym and the reading for 45 mins was 580 cals .
i sweat more and feels like i do a lot more doing the spinning though .
are the calculations for cardio on here for spinning correct

Replies

• i cant answer that specific question but ive noticed that about other exercises as well, ive been sweating and about falling over from a workout and it says i burned less calories than an easy workout. I think we all need HRM's to get an accurate readout.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    I don't think so, get a HRM you will be surprised at the difference
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    MFP use estimates so you will be better off investing in a heart rate monitor (HRM) to get a more accurate calorie burn.
  • I do spinning twice a week, and wear a heart rate monitor. I normally burn 450 calories for 45 mins so it probably is about right. I actually find they are more generous on here than my heart rate monitor! :)

I'll do the cross trainer this week and let you know how i get on... not sure I'll be able to do 45 mins though, I hate the thing! lol
  • I wear my HRM during spinning classes and I typically burn about between 350-400 cals in a 45 min class, depending on the intensity of the instructor! But it takes into account my weight etc. so I would recommend using an HRM to get a more accurate read for you--I would guess you are burning more than me since you are a guy.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    I don't think so, get a HRM you will be surprised at the difference

I agree, once i started using a HRM I was suprised at the difference. Numbers on MFP are very generous.
  • I spin as well. The gym I attend posts that the spin class can burn anywhere from 400-500 calories. This, of course, is just a general guideline. Let me know what you find out! :-)
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    They tend to be too high for me, per my HRM. For instance, this morning, I logged 51 minutes of spinning. According to MFP, that'd be 561 calories. According to my HRM, it was 443 calories.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    I have noticed that the calories burned on here are low for what I have seen. I generally go by the chart in my Calorie King book.
    So for Spinning it says if you weigh around 130 lbs. to x your minutes by 8. If you are around 170 lbs times by 10 and if you are around 220 times by 12. Hope that helps some.
  • Meglo86
    Meglo86 Posts: 6
    Do the machines have anything to record the calories burned? I take spin classes twice a week at my gym, and just on a regular treadmill at an incline for 45 minutes i burn about 580 calories. I record more than what it calculates for spin becaus I know I'm burning way more than what it says.
  • Meglo86
    Meglo86 Posts: 6
    Where are you all getting the HRM's from?? Approximately how much are they too?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I always suspected spinning burns less cals as shown on MFP b/c in the end, this is a after all a seated exercise. Yes you are going up and down but not for the full 60 minutes, there are sprint seated intervals and flat back intervals etc.

That being said, I feel better and have much more fun doing 60 minutes of spinning for about 390 calories compared to 580 on the elliptical and only wish my gym held it in the evenings for us working folks so that I don't have to reserve all this fun for Saturday morning.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Where are you all getting the HRM's from?? Approximately how much are they too?

Specialty Fitness stores but you can get cheap (<$60) wrist-watch style ones from Walmart and smaller fitness stores. I bought a "cheap" one for $49 just for fun a couple years ago but the watch-style you have to hold down the buttons to get your HRM and it stops working after a while or it just starts taking sooooo long your HR is back to 60-70 by the time it figured it out. The good ones have a chest strap that costs $200+ and continuously monitors your HR and usually warns you when you go over 80% and such.
  • I also think it depends on the instructor. I have seen instructors who easily would have people burning in the the higher range. That being said, it is all about effort. Some will put so much more effort into the class, others won't. I like spinning because my back is broken and it's hard to find many things I can do. :-)
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    [The good ones have a chest strap that costs $200+ and continuously monitors your HR and usually warns you when you go over 80% and such.

The good ones DO have a chest strap, but they absolutely do NOT have to cost over $200! Just as an example, here is a Polar FT4 (Polar is kind of the standard of the industry, known good quality) that performs basic functions of showing heart rate and calculating calories burned.

http://www.heartmonitors.com/heart-monitors/polar.html?gclid=CO67_r6H1KoCFQfsKgodHldJPw

It's under $90 and with free shipping....

If you want an HRM, visit the Polar site to see what's available and then shop around a bit online. There are great deals to be had.