Not quitting this time!! :)

Options
I’m going to be 26 next week! I have struggled so much these last few years with my weight. I am on week 2 and have lost 8 pounds just by strictly eating healthy and being more active. Definitely would love some cardio pointers! : )

Replies

• rhysleppard
    rhysleppard Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me
  • SARAhere4thewin
    SARAhere4thewin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw this and was like yes someone’s who tried n then blah and now is about it. I just started and I’m into it! I enjoy the glider at the gym you can keep proper form it’s low impact and almost feels like running!
  • asmitty1992
    asmitty1992 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like the glider too!!! Feel free to add me! Keep it up :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I’m going to be 26 next week! I have struggled so much these last few years with my weight. I am on week 2 and have lost 8 pounds just by strictly eating healthy and being more active. Definitely would love some cardio pointers! : )

Congratulations on your success and great job for getting the dedicated, motivated mind set. 8 lbs. in two weeks is absolutely exceptional! Not sure how much you are aiming to lose, but I always encourage newcomers to incorporate weight lifting too! Helps build confidence in the gym while also helping with definition and body recomp pending your current stats.

As for cardio, I love the stair master. I usually do the following:
    2 minutes | regular step
    2 minutes | skipped step
    2 minutes | regular step
    2 minutes | left foot cross-over
    2 minutes | right foot cross-over
    Repeat 6 times (for an hour). Keeps it interesting and sweaty AF.
  • asmitty1992
    Options
    Thank u so much : )
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options

Hello and good luck, I wish you the best.

I was a huge runner for almost 30 years, I mean miles of running on the beach 3-5 times a week. But I had a serious injury and I can't run any more. So I had to find what could work for me, turned out the elliptical and row work great for me (low impact) and now I’m a big fan of both. What I enjoy to do on the E-Mach as I like to call it, is to do intervals of 30 seconds to 1 minute of a high level with a 30 second break at a lower level. It breaks up the boredom for me and keeps me entertained.

In case you are interested, what I like to do on the E-Mach is start on level 10 or 12 it depends on how I feel that day. I do a minute warm up at an easy pace (for me) then I go to the next level for another minute (12 or 14, my OCD doesn’t let me do odd numbers). After the two minute warm up I hit the next level (14 or 16) hard and fast (i.e. “sprint”” for 30s to 1m again based on how I feel that day. After the “sprint” I rest for 30s. I continue to do this for 15-18 minutes going up to level 18 and then do a 3-minute cool down before I hit the weights.

You’ll have to find what works for you, I would start out slow and steady and mix in the intervals as you go and see what you can handle. You may be a beast and can bust it out from the get go, but I’d suggest taking it slow.
    If your gym has a trainer on site, I would engage them and get their input as to what you should try. When in doubt always ask a certified pro.
  • BIGFNR0B
    BIGFNR0B Posts: 2,965 Member
    Options
    You have to lift some weights girl cardio is great but muscle burns fat😉
  • pilarslayer
    pilarslayer Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Cardio- find something you like and can do long term. I love walking cus I know I can do it for any length of time, anywhere, and enjoy listening to podcasts when I do it
  • asmitty1992
    Options
    Thanks! Haha I have been walking doing cardio videos and lifting! It’s been pretty awesome so far!