What happens when I exceed either of my macros, but stay under calorie goals?

Options
Yesterday I went over carbs by 50! and sugar by 30! Today the rough estimation is that I will go over protein by 20 and sugar by 20 too. How each individual macronutriens affect my body as long as I'm under my calorie goal? From a weight loss point of view.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter for weight loss. So long as you're sticking to your allotted calories, you'll lose weight.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    As long as your calories in are less than your calories used, you'll lose weight. Managing your macros is generally only used to affect how satisfied you are with the food you're eating. If you find that you're more satisfied with different macros than the default, then change them. Macros are personal to you, and designed to be played around with.

Personally I don't worry about macros at all, just calories.
  • Calildur
    Calildur Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also do weight training so how about that regard? I know it's not that effective during weight loss.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Weight training is excellent! So good for you. Unless you have a medical reason to track carbs I wouldn’t worry about exceeding it. IMO protein is the one you want to make sure not to skimp on, especially when weight training. It can help protect against muscle loss. I personally have been working to gradually increase my protein.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Calildur wrote: »
    I also do weight training so how about that regard? I know it's not that effective during weight loss.

This is my opinion (and I'm not alone, but it's not everyone's). Weight training is the single best thing you can do during weight loss if your body shape and tone matter to you more than simply fat loss. If you just want fat loss, a calorie deficit and cardio will do that, but if you lose fat quickly without doing something to preserve muscle, you'll lose lean body mass also. In the long run that means your body fat percentage will not be as low as it would if you were lifting to preserve muscle.

If I had it to do over I would have started lifting sooner. Getting under the bar and lifting heavy is the second best health decision I ever made. Second only behind deciding to start doing something in the first place.
  • Calildur
    Calildur Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    While I do want to lose weight, I'm more concerned about muscle to a degree. Before I started I was fat and bones, and to be honest I do want to gain weight. Also heard that with more muscle fat burns faster and also I want to reduce loose skin as much as possible.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a macronutrient, it's a subset of carbs

If you don't need to lose weight but want to improve your physique, perhaps look in to "recomposition". This will involve eating at maintenance and doing a progressive lifting program to lose fat as you gain muscle without a change in weight. It's a slow process, but perhaps a good option for you...
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    While I do want to lose weight, I'm more concerned about muscle to a degree. Before I started I was fat and bones, and to be honest I do want to gain weight. Also heard that with more muscle fat burns faster and also I want to reduce loose skin as much as possible.

I think this means you want to shift your fat into muscle and stay the same weight. The quoted post below sums that up nicely.
    Sugar isn't a macronutrient, it's a subset of carbs

If you don't need to lose weight but want to improve your physique, perhaps look in to "recomposition". This will involve eating at maintenance and doing a progressive lifting program to lose fat as you gain muscle without a change in weight. It's a slow process, but perhaps a good option for you...

• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I find mine tend to even out naturally. If one day I go way over on fat, the next day I seem to crave more carbs. Bodies tend to know what they want. For weight loss, calories in and calories out is the formula.

For weight lifting, you should try not to go too low on protein etc, but again, if you're low one day, just make an effort to eat more protein the next day. Consistency is key.
  • TimsBodyFitness
    TimsBodyFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and assuming your macros are correct; eat your carbs around weight training and then taper off and then go to fats and veg. Protein with every meal. If you train early like me then I backload with carbs at night for the following morning. If its a rest day then i would reduce carbs and eat mainly veg more fats and keep protein the same.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went over carbs by 50! and sugar by 30! Today the rough estimation is that I will go over protein by 20 and sugar by 20 too. How each individual macronutriens affect my body as long as I'm under my calorie goal? From a weight loss point of view.

You'll lose weight.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Define "effective".

It's difficult to put on significant amounts of muscle while in a calorie deficit, but weight training (along with adequate protein intake) will help preserve what muscle you have. And preserving what muscle you currently have is a lot easier than trying to put it back on later.

If your deficit isn't too deep, your protein intake is adequate and your training program is effective, it's possible to gain a bit of muscle in the process - especially as a newbie and especially while overweight.

If you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Macronutrients are irrelevant in that regard.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I lost 73 lbs and didn’t even watch the macros. I know that I have to eat some protein to fill full and need a lot of fiber in my diet. It all works itself out with me making the food choices I need to feel good.

I have no desire to obsesss over macros. My goodness, restricting how much I eat is hard enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Nothing happens...