Zumba...

Options
Hi There

Im just wondering what everyones views on this...results from it, does it work does it not? really fancy giving it a go, but NOT a great mover lol

Thank you
Lynsey

Replies

• GooneyAngel
    Options
    Zuma is dancing! I love it! It burns calories and you have fun! It works for me!
  • rowmoor
    rowmoor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    give it a go its addictive.....
  • cnklapper
    cnklapper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's fabulous... Burns tons of calories and is just plain FUN! I've lot 25 pounds since I began Zumba a year ago. If you decide to try it, skip the dvds and find a class with a great instructor. You will get so much more bang for your buck that way. GO FOR IT!
  • abeachlady
    Options
    LOVE it! Burns lots of calories too. Never tire of it.
  • slvrmop23
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. My friend is an instructor and she is amazing - totally burning a ton of calories with her. I've seen some not so fabulous instructors who aren't as intense. So, I guess it depends on the instructor. As for the not a great mover part, me either. I mean, my friend can really move her hips, which I can not. But, as long as your moving and jumping around I think its really effective. Plus, they change up their music and routines each month, so it always stays fresh and fun and new for your body.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I.

Love.

Zumba!
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    Oh i think i will just bite the bullet and give it a go....and hide up the back so noone see's my rubbish dancing lol

Thanks for the replys everyone :-)
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my zumba class! It took me a while to work up the courage to try it, but I'm hooked now. Great music, great energy and great workout. Actually, it's so much fun it doesn't feel like a workout. :smile:
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it! Each instructor is different. It may be more latin or more hip hop. Each instructor choreographs their own stuff. If you don't like one, try another. Look for ones that are pay-as-you-go so you are not stuck with one until you know you like them. I've had 6 different instructors, only one instructor was really bad. One was ok. Two were quite good, and two are fantastic. The guys that run the class I go to now are so much fun that I just can't wait to go, and I hate the class to end, I'm having so much fun. It's a high impact aerobic class and I burn a ton of calories.
  • chelseajillian5
    Options
    id say give it a go!!! its very fun! but if your not used to moving it may hurt your hips a bit, it hurt mine and i had to stop. but I'd say give it a shot!!!!
  • misslouisiana
    misslouisiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like it because it's fun and it does burn calories.:explode:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's highly highly variable.

I was very very damning about Zumba for a long time because the first two classes I tried (2 different instructors) were both a total waste of time. The choreography was very repetitive and basic and when it came to the 'cool down' nobody had even broken a sweat!

But the third class I tried several months later was awesome. The girl was young, enthusiastic and used exciting, varied choreography. It wasn't what I'd call a difficult work out but it was fun and it burned calories.

Did you know that there is no set choreography for Zumba, the instructors can choose what they do? They also don't need to be properly trained or have any real dance background, they just do a short course. So it makes sense that some are going to be excellent and some dreadful.

If you can find a good class then it's a fun workout and a good way to keep motivated. It's not massively hardcore and probably shouldn't be all you do as exercise but it's a good addition to an existing regime.
  • melinda6569
    Options
    I say go for it..It is a lot of fun i just can't get myhips to move like that any more. But since i read this i am ready to give it another try..
  • kippit
    kippit Posts: 78
    Options
    I have never tried it but there are women I work with that LOVE it and swear by the results....
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Zumba is the best! It is a very intense dance workout but because you focus on the routine and dancing it goes by so much faster than other things. I was able to lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks due to Zumba. I'm sure I will be adding more to that number this week.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I signed up for some classes near me for super cheap and am hoping to start later this week. It looks really fun, but I'm also a bit intimidated, I haven't danced in years and am much heavier than when I used to dance (not professionally but on dance squads, cheerleading, etc.). Is it hard to pick up for newbies? Also, what clothes and shoes do folks typically wear - understanding I am FAR from being comfortable in a sports bra only on top or similar attire. I hope it's fun!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It absolutely works and is so much fun. It brought me to goal in 4 months without giving up my nightly wine with dinner. I've been doing it 6 days a week since January and still think it's fun and still work up a sweat doing it.
  • JazzyFizz23
    Options
    Zumba is an excellent program. Like others it has its positive and negative. I would say it could not hurt to try though right. I have been doing it for about a year, and though I wasn't always keeping track of weight - it made me feel great after doing it. As pretty much everyone has stated it burns calories and is dance-based, which makes it more fun. As far as not having the "moves," they get easier with time and you would be surprised how much you can do it.

Personally - I have the DVD series and I use the Zumba Flat Abs as a concentrated ab workout every other day. But most Zumba programs are good for your core - because you are always moving the core. Try it - if nothing else you'll find you won't like it and try something else. Working out should be challenging, but it should still be something you look forward to!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I signed up for some classes near me for super cheap and am hoping to start later this week. It looks really fun, but I'm also a bit intimidated, I haven't danced in years and am much heavier than when I used to dance (not professionally but on dance squads, cheerleading, etc.). Is it hard to pick up for newbies? Also, what clothes and shoes do folks typically wear - understanding I am FAR from being comfortable in a sports bra only on top or similar attire. I hope it's fun!

I am no dancer (by any stretch of the imagination). You don't need to be a dancer to do Zumba. Wear something comfortable because you will MOVE! For shoes, something without a lot of tread because there is a lot twisting and swiveling your feet. Cross trainers are good, running shoes are not so good. Although, I actually do it in an old pair of running shoes that have the tread mostly worn off.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba and most weeks it's my primary form of exercise. That being said, I'm lucky enought to have a gym that only has awesome instructors. They're all super high energy and all of the classes are a great work-out. I've been to classes at other gyms that are a waste of time and don't even feel like a work-out. It helps SO much to find an amazing instructor, and if you do, stick with him or her!! I haven't tried the DVD's but I don't think I would get as great of a work-out from them because I love the energy of the classes. I generally wear capri work-out pants and a tank-top or t-shirt. You get pretty sweaty and move around a lot so definitely wear something comfortable! I wear running sneakers but a lot of people have dance sneakers instead. I'm fine in my regular ones. I'll probably start to buy the Zumba clothes once I'm closer to my goal weight because a lot of them are really cute!