Food guilt?!

Options
I’m wondering how y’all deal with food guilt

I find myself feeling guilty (like today) for eating 1,900 calories vs 1,700 (like MFP suggests) I had a busy day at work & was starving when I got home & ate 4 pieces of pizza. I ate back exercise calories from work & have 25 exercise calories left! I know the holiday can lead to over eating

How do y’all deal with feeling guilty over FOOD?!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

It's ok to enjoy living.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Food is amazing! Fearing food is not good.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I stopped feeling guilty about food a long time ago. Going over 100 or 1000 or even 5000 calories isn't the end of the world, and not worth stressing over. I just make a note to add 15 minutes a day to my morning cardio for a week to balance everything out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I find myself feeling guilty (like today) for eating 1,900 calories vs 1,700 (like MFP suggests) I had a busy day at work & was starving when I got home & ate 4 pieces of pizza. I ate back exercise calories from work & have 25 exercise calories left! I know the holiday can lead to over eating

I don't feel guilty about food I eat.

You might want to look at your activity setting, you shouldn't be logging work as exercise
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options

Look at it more rationally. To gain 1 pound you need to eat 3500kcal above maintenance.
    So you ate 200kcal more than what MFP suggested, probably still below maintenance level.
    1lbs = 3500kcal
    x = 200kcal
    so that 0.056lbs that you might not have lost due to this

Does that sound like a lot? No. Of course your loss will slow down if you do this every day, but once in a while is not a problem at all <3
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you have to put it in perspective. I am working on this myself. When I feel guilty, my go-to is to then just binge because I've already "ruined it" anyway. I think I'll start over the next day, after the weekend, maybe even the next week. I truly believe that this was the cause of most of my weight gain! Going over by a couple hundred calories one day isn't really going to make a difference.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and put it into perspective. I find that writing it down tends to help as the issue always seems less important once I've written it down (as opposed to letting it swirl around in my head and seem much more important than it is)

Remember, you did gain all that weight in one day, you're not going to lose it in one day, so why would one "bad" day ruin everything?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Do you know anyone who maintains a normal weight naturally? Take a closer look at how they eat. You'll notice some days they are hungrier and eat more, other days they are less hungry and eat less. That's just how the normal human body operates. Why would you blame yourself for the tendency to feel hungrier sometimes, and the very normal tendency to want to satisfy that hunger?

Eating more sometimes is going to happen regardless of how you feel about it, so you can either accept it as a normal part of the process or keep ruminating and blaming yourself. You'll find a spontaneous increase in hunger sometimes, being tempted by food when not hungry sometimes, holidays and gatherings, really wanting a higher calorie dish vs a lower calorie one, occasional overeating driven by poor planning or feelings...etc. These are all normal events to overeat and everyone goes through them.

The only difference between those who lose weight and those who gain it is that those who lose are consistently in a deficit outside of these events. Accepting them as normal allows them to move on right away instead of the vicious cycle of overeating, feeling guilty, doubling down, feeling restricted, which leads to overeating, and repeat.

Looking at your post, you didn't even overeat since you were within your calories (exercise calories are meant to be eaten). You're feeling guilty for doing what you're supposed to be doing. Isn't that a bit harsh?
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Personally, I look back at the years of happiness and wellbeing that I lost when I was battling bulimia and try to move on that way. I don't want food guilt to take me down that road ever again. Don't let it take you either!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think it’s really important to think about why you feel guilty. Is it because you’ve expected yourself every single day of your life to stay within a certain calorie count? If so, is that reasonable? If not, how many days per week or month are you going to allow yourself some leeway, and how much? It helps me to have a certain number of days each month when I know I’m going over. If i don’t work this out in advance, I do feel bad when I go over OR end going over frequently. But otherwise, I think, “Great, dinner out with my son is going to be one of my over days, and I’ll have two more left in July afterwards!” What I want to avoid is both never having the chance to enjoy the pleasure of foods, but also not using the pleasure of foods to derail the rest of my work.