Request for vegitarian meals with a spicy KICK

Options
AmyOutOfControl
AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
edited July 2018 in Recipes
I love spicy and I am getting tired of the same old curry and chili recipes. I tried the following awesome new recipes. They were fantastic!!

Anyone have any other good recipe suggestions? I am lactose intolerant so I can’t handle a whole lot of cheese (a little dairy is okay).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2835667/jerk-sweet-potato-and-black-bean-curry?amp

https://cookilicious.com/powerbreakfasts/spicy-mushroom-tofu-scramble/

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I don't actually cook from recipes much, but some of my favorite spicy vegetarian dishes outside the realm of curries and chilies are

Chilis rellenos. Pick a decent sized pepper that suits your desire for heat (I like hatch chilis, and poblanos) and stuff with your favorite spicy stuffing (grains, beans, cheese, and/or pureed veggies, with chili powder, ground chipotle, or cayenne to kick it up; a little cinnamon can be nice, too). I like a mixture of bulgur, pureed (or canned) pumpkin or squash, and pepipitas (toasted pumpkin seeds). Dip in beaten egg and dredge in cornmeal, flour, bread crumbs, or chopped nuts or seeds -- you can add cumin or chili powder to the dry ingredient you've chosen for dredging. Shallow fry in oil of your choice (I like corn or another neutral-flavored oil, but olive oil will work fine). Top with a spicy tomato sauce of your choice and a little shredded cheese, and heat in microwave or oven until sauce is hot and cheese melts.

Spicy fake eggplant parmesan. Broil or grill sliced eggplant, layer with spicy tomato sauce (e.g., fra diavolo), top wtih parmesan, slide back up under broiler or in a medium oven until cheese melts and browns a little.

Kushari. Cook broken spaghetti or vermicelli, rice, lentils, and garbanzos (or use canned garbanzos). Combine desired amounts of pasta, rice, and legumes. Top with spicy tomato sauce (I like to make my own for this, or at least cook down a bottled sauce so it's thicker, and add hot sauce to it) and grilled onions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I made this and it was delicious and different:

Ethiopian Style Berbere Lentils

And this was more what you've probably been eating, but it was nice too: Thai Green Vegetable Curry

And I keep meaning to try this:

Spinach Jalapeno Dip

I loved chili rellenos when I ate eggs, so I second the recommendation for them.
  • vbhoagie
    vbhoagie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get a box from Blue Apron, and one of my all-time favorite recipes from them is their shakshuka.

It doesn't really need the parmesan cheese, and without it it is completely dairy free. If you don't have espelette pepper, you can substitute unsmoked hot paprika or cayenne, but I really do recommend the espelette pepper. It's a bit of an investment, but I've thrown it in so many things since that it's been worth it (and a little goes a long way). It's got a distinctive smoky heat. This is the stuff I buy.

If you're burnt out on curries, maybe some rice or noodle bowls made with gochujang, which is a favorite of mine. I like this recipe and make it whenever I can find persimmons in my grocery store.
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Just thought of another one:

Noodles with spicy peanut sauce. You can make this either hot or cold (the main difference being whether you cool or even chill the noodles after cooking). I use any kind of noodles these days, but I think either soba or "cellophane" noodles work if you want something more Asian to go with the sauce. Or you can choose a noodle that suits your macro needs.

Again, I don't generally bother looking at a recipe anymore to make the peanut sauce, as I've been making it for close to 30 years. I just combine peanut butter (I prefer one that's just peanuts and salt, but use what you like); vinegar (red rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, cider or malt vinegar); rice wine or sherry if you like (I usually don't bother); soy sauce; hot oil (la you, chili-infused sesame oil), or you can sub a Tabasco-style hot sauce; and, if you like, a little sugar or other sweetener (I prefer it without). Then I taste and adjust to get the balance of flavors the way I like them. You're going for a complex mix of heat, saltiness, umami, sourness, and a little sweetness.

Ideally the vinegar, soy sauce, and wine or sherry, if you're using it, will thin the peanut butter down enough to pour over the noodles. If you use a peanut butter that doesn't have other (non-peanut) oils added, I find it thins down to a pouring consistency pretty easily. You're looking for something close to the consistency of chocolate syrup. But if you get the flavor where you want it and don't want to mess the flavor up trying to get it thinner, just spoon it on the hot noodles and toss it, and the heat should help it spread and coat all the noodles. Even if you want to eat it cold, you can put the peanut sauce on when it's hot (in fact, it's a good idea to do so, as it will help keep the noodles from sticking together and forming a solid clump).

Tofu* goes good with it, especially if you press the water out and/or freeze it and/or roast or fry it -- any of the techniques to give it a chewier and/or crispier texture. If you fry the tofu and want to up the heat in the dish, you could fry a dried chili (remove before frying if you want to temper the heat) or the chili flakes that you sometimes see in pizzerias before you add the tofu to the oil. I like to cook it until it gets a little brown in spots, to ensure a little crispiness and also add color to what can be a pretty beige dish.

I also like bell peppers (but you could use hot peppers, if you prefer) and cucumbers with the tofu. Try other vegetables if you like. I like the veggies raw in this dish, but feel free to saute or stir fry them, again in oil with dried chili if you like. You can toss the veggies with the noodles when you add the peanut sauce, if you like, but I usually prefer to put them on top with the tofu when I serve it -- I just think it looks more attractive.

*ETA: obviously, if you're not a fan of tofu, or want to try something different, you could sub tempeh or seitan or your favorite beans or your favorite commercial meat substitute -- faux grilled "chicken" strips would be very nice, I think.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Here's something I made up a few years back.

Smoked almond hummus tacos

Soak and cook dried kidney beans until tender, flavored with a bay leaf. (Or simmer canned kidney beans for a while with a bay leaf -- it doesn't really matter if the beans start falling apart, because you're going to put them in the food processor)

Smoked almond butter (I originally found this at a farmer's market, but since then I've made it myself by processing smoked almonds until they turn into almond butter)

Garlic, chopped and sauteed slightly in olive oil to take the raw edge off

Chipotle tabasco sauce or ground chipotle powder

Run above ingredients through a food processor, leaving just a little chunky.

Spoon into heated crunchy taco shells (or soft tortillas if you prefer), dust with smoked paprika and/or ground chipotle, and top with shredded cabbage (and hot sauce, taco sauce, or salsa, if you like).
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lentil loaf with a poached egg on top and a good dollup of hot sauce.
  • imaproudmomma
    imaproudmomma Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sautéed onion, peppers, and mushrooms in some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Serve over brown rice 🤤 with renfros ghost pepper salsa 💥
    I make a lot of bean and rice meals, so anything you can whip together with veggies and a tortilla always my go to.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    when I was in South India I came across Avial, which has become one of my favourite vegetarian dishes.

I'm linking to a recipe for you. But, this recipe uses yoghurt (as a souring agent). The chef who showed me how to make this in Kerala used tamarind paste instead, but also said you could use mango powder if you didn't have tamarind. This would reduce the "dairy" element of the recipe for you.

https://food.ndtv.com/recipe-kerala-style-avial-486444
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Mejadra. Google Ottolenghi who does a lot of middle eastern influenced vegetarian recipes.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/09/mejadra-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions! Thanks!
  • jeepyem06816
    jeepyem06816 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My go to in the summer..! Nice zing to it!
    Taken from sweetpeasandsaffron meal prep.

These cold sesame noodle meal prep bowls are the perfect vegan prep ahead lunch: spiralized vegetables tossed with chickpeas and whole wheat spaghetti in a spicy almond butter sauce.

Ingredients
    4 oz whole wheat spaghetti uncooked
    1 medium-sized zucchini spiralized
    2 large carrots spiralized or shredded
    2 cups chickpeas 19 oz can, drained & rinsed
    green onions to garnish
    sesame seeds to garnish

Almond Butter Sauce:
    1/4 cup almond butter
    1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 tablespoons soy sauce I use reduced sodium
    3 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional; omit for non-spicy version

Instructions:
    Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse under cold water and set aside to cool completely.
    Portion out pasta, zoodles, carrot noodles and chickpeas between four 2-cup storage containers. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.
    Stir or shake together all almond butter sauce ingredients, and divide amongst 2 oz storage containers.

Storage:
    Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. This recipe is not freezer-friendly.

To Serve:
    Enjoy cold. Drizzle with the almond butter sauce and toss up before serving.

Recipe Notes:
    Almond butter may be swapped with any other natural nut butter.

Nutrition Facts:
    Cold Sesame Noodles with Spiralized Vegetables
    Amount Per Serving (1 lunch bowl)
    Calories 452Calories from Fat 135
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 15g 23%
    Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    Sodium 971mg 40%
    Total Carbohydrates 65g 22%
    Dietary Fiber 14g 56%
    Sugars 13g
    Protein 19g 38%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

0w6n89qvzc4b.jpeg
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Super simple, but since I have been trying to eat my way through my stash of soy curls recently, it's worth throwing out there:

Rehydrate your soy curls or TVP
    Marinate protein in a mixture of salsa, chili powder, and water if needed--I usually prep in the morning and let them sit in the fridge all day
    Simmer until the "sauce" is thickened
    Serve on warmed corn tortillas with your favorite taco toppings. I like pepper jack cheese on them, or Trader Joe's "reduced guilt" chunky guacamole.