Breakfast

Options
Is it really bad to skip breakfast if you're not hungry for it? Does it "get your metabolism going" or is that a myth? I'm often rushing out the door with my kids and just don't have time, so I've been grabbing a small handful of almonds on the way out just because I feel like I'm supposed to. I'm not very hungry in the morning at all, and eat most of my calories at dinnertime...can I skip breakfast without messing up my weight loss?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your metabolism stopped, you'd be dead :D You can eat anything you want for breakfast, and breakfast is the first meal of your day. You're probably still full after dinner. No problem. If you want to eat a meal before you leave in the morning, plan for it, get up earlier, and eat less at dinner or lunch, or have dinner earlier.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No need to waste calories if you're not hungry unless you're you mean to eat for reasons other than hunger. You can safely skip breakfast and save the calories for a later meal.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It's a myth. If you aren't hungry, I think it makes more sense to wait and eat only when you are.

^^^This...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Complete myth. Your metabolism is quite fixed and little more than a series of biochemical reactions. Timing has no detectable influence in weight management.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Myth:

1. The only time your metabolism stops is when you die.
    2. We are not Gremlins, we do not have magic resets that are time dependant.
    3. Our bodies slowly and continually digest food (with the rare illness related exception)24/7, so even if we haven't eaten in 8 hours, our body's digestive and other systems continue to process the food/nutrients we have eaten.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    eshorts1 wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea to eat something. Even if its a breakfast smoothie you can drink in the car on the go. It's my understanding some people who skip breakfast tend to over eat other times of the day. I also think it's completely up to how a persons body burns calories. If you find yourself trying to loose weight with no success, start eating a small breakfast to see if the weight starts coming off.

Everyone is different. If I eat breakfast, it "starts" my hunger for the day and I end up eating more calories overall.

My "breakfast" is usually extremely light. Coffee. I'm the same way, I blame my stomach for being greedy (give and inch....) and not being happy with whatever I give it in the morning.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    FrumMama wrote: »
    Is it really bad to skip breakfast if you're not hungry for it? Does it "get your metabolism going" or is that a myth? I'm often rushing out the door with my kids and just don't have time, so I've been grabbing a small handful of almonds on the way out just because I feel like I'm supposed to. I'm not very hungry in the morning at all, and eat most of my calories at dinnertime...can I skip breakfast without messing up my weight loss?

Yes its a myth. Eat when you are hungry.
  • jmr5681
    jmr5681 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast. It's part of my morning routine. If I do it feels that I am missing something. I rather cut back on snacks.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    From the CDC: "Eat breakfast every day. Eating breakfast is a common trait among people who have lost weight and kept it off. Eating a healthful breakfast may help you avoid getting "over-hungry" and then overeating later in the day."

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/keepingitoff.html

I think the National Weight Control Registry is a great thing, but it's still just correlation. Everyone I know in real life who has lost weight and kept it off has just a cup of coffee for breakfast. I think because there has been so much press for so many years about eating breakfast being good for you, it's possible that all that quote means is that people who are paying attention to their health are eating breakfast, whether it actually helps them or not, because TPTB told them to, along with an on-point reason that sounds better than "because it's the prevailing wisdom".

Breakfast helps some people control hunger throughout the day, for others it causes hunger throughout the day.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    From the CDC: "Eat breakfast every day. Eating breakfast is a common trait among people who have lost weight and kept it off. Eating a healthful breakfast may help you avoid getting "over-hungry" and then overeating later in the day."

I think the National Weight Control Registry is a great thing, but it's still just correlation. Everyone I know in real life who has lost weight and kept it off has just a cup of coffee for breakfast. I think because there has been so much press for so many years about eating breakfast being good for you, it's possible that all that quote means is that people who are paying attention to their health are eating breakfast, whether it actually helps them or not, because TPTB told them to, along with an on-point reason that sounds better than "because it's the prevailing wisdom".

Breakfast helps some people control hunger throughout the day, for others it causes hunger throughout the day.

Any facts and data other than personal observations regarding your point about just a cup of coffee for breakfast to lose/keep weight off?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I guess since NWCR didn't specify a time, it's technically true that everybody eats 'breakfast' - because your first meal, no matter what time it is, is breaking your fast.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Any facts and data other than personal observations regarding your point about just a cup of coffee for breakfast to lose/keep weight off?

I didn't say that was what caused their weight loss. Just presenting a little context for my doubt that eating breakfast universally helps people lose weight.

What data does the CDC provide to show that eating breakfast causes weight loss, other than statistical correlation?