Cardio suggestions for at home gym

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Those of you who work out at home, what type of cardio do you do? I am finally getting my home gym (yay) but just weights. At the gym I normally get on an elliptical or stationary bike or something and I don’t want to purchase a cardio machine for my home. I really don’t like running :( oh and I don’t own a bike which is what I really want to do. just looking for some ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is always the tried and true jump rope! It burns a lot of calories but you may need to start with intervals.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    get a Peloton bike. Its worth every penny.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have a bench and stationary bike at home, and i also run. so no help what so ever... :laugh:

do whatever cardio you do like, walk, dance, etc etc
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    i have a bench and stationary bike at home, and i also run. so no help what so ever... :laugh:

Same, agreed.

What do you enjoy doing?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you want to get a bike, get a bike.

Then you can get the magnetic spin mount stand trainer for indoor use.
  • hesn92
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Same, agreed.

What do you enjoy doing?

I don’t know lol! I tried to get into running but I don’t like it. It’s boring. Although that was on a treadmill so perhaps I will try again outside and see if I like that better. I would like to ride a bike but I just dropped some money on the weights I don’t really want to buy a bike right now. Maybe that will be an investment for next year. I also really like hiking but there aren’t many cool places to hike around here, so that’s more of a once in a while thing not a regular form of exercise.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What about trail running? IMO, takes the best of both running and hiking.

And yes... don't rule out running because of your treadmill experiences...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Same, agreed.

What do you enjoy doing?

I don’t know lol! I tried to get into running but I don’t like it. It’s boring. Although that was on a treadmill so perhaps I will try again outside and see if I like that better. I would like to ride a bike but I just dropped some money on the weights I don’t really want to buy a bike right now. Maybe that will be an investment for next year. I also really like hiking but there aren’t many cool places to hike around here, so that’s more of a once in a while thing not a regular form of exercise.

Save up for a bike though my vote is for an actual bike with a trainer (a stand that you can put your bike on in order to use it inside) instead of a peloton. The exception is if you have no desire of riding outside (which is valid), though even then I don't know that I'd suggest a peloton. That said, given that a bike is out at the moment, you don't like running, and hiking isn't an option I would suggest the Nike Training Club app. I used it a fair amount last summer and really enjoyed it. Another potential option is swimming, but that isn't typically a home activity and I don't know if you have access to a pool.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Insanity is good fun?
  • hesn92
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What about trail running? IMO, takes the best of both running and hiking.

And yes... don't rule out running because of your treadmill experiences...
    I think I will take running up again outside. I live in a pretty lame area. We do have some running trails but they aren’t very exciting. But oh well. I was doing C25K and got up to week 5 and just said to hell with it. With the longer running intervals I was just bored out of my mind on the treadmill.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I prefer workout routines, see link below. This allows me some variety so I find myself returning to it instead of getting bored. No equipment needed, most can be done in a small space. My current workout is to the 1-mile express cardio back to back

http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

If you really want equipment (as some people feel like you aren't burning efficiently without gear) I would recommend a small stationary cycle similar to the one linked below. Doesn't take up much space, lets you cycle while doing other stationary tasks (read a book, watch tv, play a game). Only downside is that it may break under high/frequent stress.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Cycle-Pedal-Exerciser-Bike-Cycle-Fitness-Exercise-Indoor-Stationary-Bike-With-LCD-Display-Adjustable-Body-Cardio-Workout-Gym-Fitness-Black/797320291?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227105688715&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=235442493084&wl4=pla-387893421344&wl5=9009978&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=797320291&wl13=&veh=sem
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You could get a step! It will get your heart-rate up, and you can mix it up with different routines (there are loads online) so you don't get bored. You can also incorporate it into your weights like circuit training.
  • LIBOR_cat
    LIBOR_cat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Fill two drums with water and do farmer’s walk. Best cardio ever. Free of cost. Do it early morning coz it might look weird to the neighbors.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You don't need exercise machines to get a cardio workout. You can look up Body Weight and with weight interval training and get plenty of cardio. Kettlebell swings, squats, push ups, burpees for instance. Set up an interval timer say 40 secs on then 15 sec rest(jog in place or stretch) then just cycle between those for 20 mins. You can do all sorts of cardio without machines, lunges, step ups, jump squats, pull ups, etc
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Running can be pretty boring without some entertainment. I usually listen to podcasts, and sometimes music or the news. Without some form of audio entertainment it just wouldn't be bearable.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Burpees!

Seriously, though, running outside.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    A Concept2 rower.
  • jaxnjosh
    jaxnjosh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Look up MillionaireHoy on youtube. He has loads of free cardio no equipment workouts. Lots of different lengths of workouts too. Its all free
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I created my own backyard bootcamp for when I was away. I used kettlebells, a jump rope, incorporated jumping jacks, squats, lunges and ran around the block. I did step ups on the deck steps and triceps dips off the side of the picnic table. Think outside the box and no doubt you can find something fun right at home. Best of luck!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube there are thousands of cardio videos there from HIIT through to gentle low impact. You can burn as many calories as you would on a bike/treadmill but it's so much more fun. My favourite is fitness blender - on their website you can search for videos just Google them. But there are lots of others if you don't like fitness blender.