Waking up to abdominal pain after overeating.

Options
Three of four times now I've had a really heavy meal for dinner (fried chicken, rueben and fries, Chinese buffet, etc.) and then woken up at 3 or 4 am with bad abdominal pain. Eventually I get back to sleep and then am close to fine in the morning. This only started happening after I started eating healthily consistently. Any ideas what's causing this and how to prevent it (antacids? peptobismol? walks?)?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Heavy meal, hard to process.

Try having the heavy meal at lunch with a lighter dinner. See if the symptoms resolve.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You can prevent it by.not eating it....easy solution
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    It could be GERD. It could be gallstones. It is hard to say. You could see your doctor if it continues and try eating smaller meals, not so late at night.
  • edfc84
    edfc84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues a few years ago, it ended up being swollen lymph nodes in my right side. The doctor never figured out why but it was definitely connected to how I ate. So I cleaned up my diet and I haven't had any issues.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Most obvious guess to me is gas (you don't have to be passing it to have enough to trigger discomfort). You could try something like bean-o, or just refrain from outright overindulgence.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You can prevent it by.not eating it....easy solution

And, baring this being caused by an diagnosed medical condition, the best.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Check with your doc to see if you have developed gall stones. Feels like you're being punched when you have an attack. Generally quick weight loss can cause them to form then high fat meals cause an attack.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Most obvious guess to me is gas (you don't have to be passing it to have enough to trigger discomfort). You could try something like bean-o, or just refrain from outright overindulgence.

This would be my guess as well, though it wouldn't hurt to go see a GP, just to be sure.

@pinuplove , love the cat in your avatar! Looks like they're perched, paw ready, ready to offer their many "pearls of wisdom", words which I picture coming from the cat! haha :heart:
  • PumpkinPeril
    PumpkinPeril Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I eat "greasy" foods.

When I was a teen I wanted to try and eat healthier choices and after a while I would experience what you're describing for about 12h or so after until it would pass. In moderation I can eat those foods, but some are automatic (bratworst) unless I remove some of the oil/grease first)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @Fursian Thanks. Here's the whole picture for context, lol. The cat in your avatar disturbs me a little :lol: OP, sorry for the slight derail!
    y4keo7tfzxwk.jpg
  • spencermitsch
    spencermitsch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sweet, thanks all. It's a very low abdominal pain so I don't think it's gallstones. Will try beano and if that doesn't work make an appointment with my doctor.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    @pinuplove , the cat has 100% nailed that pose! lol, love it, thanks for the context! -- The cat in my avatar is actually my dog, a yawning Pomeranian, called Toto :mrgreen:

To OP: I hope you figure out what the issue is, wishing you luck!