Planning meals out

Options
So, I agreed to go to a restaurant for a friends birthday this Saturday. She asked me months ago and I can’t bail out on her. Having only restarted MFP a week ago I really don’t want to ‘blow it’ binging on a meal out. My problem is once I start I don’t stop.

So, I thought I’d look at the restaurants menu online si I can pick what I want before I go. First bad thing is it’s Chinese food - not the healthiest of foods, and secondly it’s a ‘order as many dishes as you like for £15.95’ deal. Well I don’t want to eat £16 worth of food but old me would have tried to “get my moneys worth”. Does anyone here have any good techniques for limiting what you eat in a buffet/restaurant/party situation? I’m massively a compulsive eater. If the foods not there I don’t touch it, if it’s is I’ll have a good go at eating the lot!

I’m going to try to pick a couple of dishes just for me and stick to these things but I can’t even work out what the ‘healthiest’ options are at a Chinese restaurant!

Help!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stir fry chicken/prawns & veg with boiled rice or plain noodles would be reasonable low cal.

I save some calories from the rest of the week to enable me to eat more at the weekend. Look at your weekly goal, get some extra exercise in.

Most importantly, enjoy the meal and get back to a deficit the next day.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would get beef and broccoli (my favorite dish) and eat just that and skip the rice. I have been logging long enough I know what 200g of broccoli looks like and then I would pull separate the meat to get idea of how much I want to eat and log a estimate of it.

Then depending on the egg rolls I might eat one. Some have super thick wrappers that are very fried which I am not a fan of. Other have a very thin very lightly fried more like the wrapper is crispy, which I assume would be less calories but I don't know how I would log it probably an average of various entries in myfitnesspal.

Also for breakfast, lunch eat low calorie but high protein foods so you have more for dinner. I can wrack up extra exercise calories with going on long walks/elliptical but high intensity exercise I end up needing food right away.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing happened to me a while back. Friends came into town and wanted to try the new buffet place. Oh Great!

Be sure to do some exercise that morning. It will help. Also, be really selective as to what you want to eat.. Don't settle for something mediocre. If there is something you really like don't be afraid to choose that. It's just one meal. You can start fresh the next day.

I found that the day of the buffet I was not even able to eat as much as I used to. Be sure to enjoy yourself. It's meant to be time well spent with your friend. Good luck.
  • rhodedendrite
    rhodedendrite Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, all good advice x
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I second the beef and broccoli!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    You say "order as many dishes as you like" -- so you will actually be ordering, right, not just selecting from already prepared dishes on a buffet? If so, you could ask for whatever protein you want with whatever veggies you want to be stir-fried with just oil, salt, garlic, and ginger (no sauce), and for steamed rice. That's pretty much the classic "diet" dinner with a little added oil for stir-frying, and shouldn't blow your calorie budget out of the water. (Personally, I would just get what I really wanted, eat slowly so I wouldn't stuff myself, and take home the leftovers, but it doesn't sound like that works for you.)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Eat light earlier in the day so you have extra calories for dinner. Depending on your calorie goals, you might also be able to save up a few more calories in the days just before the party. Order a reasonable meal's worth of food and stop with that order. Pick something you like and enjoy it. You're getting your money's worth in the enjoyment of the food and the time with your friends, not the quantity of food.

If you go over your calories, get back on track the next day. One day of overeating will not significantly affect your weight loss unless it becomes multiple days of overeating. However, don't be surprised if the scale goes up for the next few days due to water fluctuation.

Don't fall into the mindset of skipping special occasions over food. If you plan to lose weight and keep it off, then you are permanently changing your approach to food, not going on a temporary diet. Your new approach to eating is not healthy or sustainable if it keeps you from celebrating your friends' birthdays.
  • rhodedendrite
    rhodedendrite Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys you’ve put it in to perspective for me a bit. In summary I need to learn to deal with these situations with a healthy mindset, not go overboard, pick a sensible bit tasty option and enjoy the company and the food.

• tri2become1
    tri2become1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion that I visit a buffet (usually a "have-to" thing for some special celebratory event), I try to make-up for the calorie overload with a smaller breakfast and smaller lunch (if it's a dinner buffet). I also try to limit the portions of very fatty foods and load my plate up with high protein options or veges. Many Asian buffets will have kimchi which is lower calorie, but high in-flavor and spice/heat. A win-win option.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the great advice you've already gotten to avoid going off the rails..

If you do end up splurging more than you allowed for, the most important thing is not to beat yourself up or feel guilty enough you throw away the whole weeks effort. Whether you realize during or after the fact. Remember it's just one meal. We all end up flying off the path every once and awhile, it's nothing you can't recover from.

A good habit change reminder i found was to wear something on a finger or wrist you don't normally so you'll be fiddling with it. And every time you do, let it remind you, I'm going to enjoy myself but not go overboard. Is this giant scoop of fried rice worth the calories? Do I really want fried chicken, or would the stir fried chicken be just as yumny? Learning to be mindful and calm in situations like this can be powerful, but it takes practice!