Super new!! Keto questions!

Options
zcyzcy
zcyzcy Posts: 6 Member
Hi all!
I’m really new to diets and have been researching keto, been getting a mix of information, some saying it’s unhealthy etc.

I’m curious to hear actual peoples experiences with it!
Also any tips to start? From my understanding it’s avoiding carbs right?

Replies

• hohey
    hohey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Right, lots of info on the web.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I like carbs, personally
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @zcyzcy you are correct on all points.

After nearly four years of success with Keto/LCHF the starting place is still the same. Just keep the carbs around 50 grams a day or less. The other stuff will come over the next year or so.

What no one told me was to expect to learn that I was a carb addict. After 2 months of failure up front it hit me that I was a long term carb addict. Since I was wanted to do Keto to keep living in my case I decided cold turkey to stop eating food containing added sugars and or any form of grains. It was a hellish two weeks at our house but it was worth in my and my family's case for me to give up my addiction for life.

Best of success.
  • zcyzcy
    Options
    For me bread is not as much of an issue as fruits. I eat a lot of high sugar fruits like watermelon... What have been your experiences with substituting fruits?

Are there other hidden carb things I should watch out for? Aside from the obvious sugar and bread?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    zcyzcy wrote: »
    For me bread is not as much of an issue as fruits. I eat a lot of high sugar fruits like watermelon... What have been your experiences with substituting fruits?

Are there other hidden carb things I should watch out for? Aside from the obvious sugar and bread?

It's ultra low carb and high fat...this means basically your carbs will come from things like greens and lower carb vegetables like broccoli. You could probably fit in some berries from time to time. It seems most people doing keto are keeping to around 20 grams of carbohydrates...for reference, a medium apple is 25 grams of carbohydrates...net carbs are around 20.5...so an apple would put you over your daily carbs.

I haven't heard of anything ill health wise other than people I know who have done it have always had really bad breath...I think the bigger question is can you eat this way and do so long term?

Carbs aren't really hidden...if it's not fat or protein, it's a carb.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason you want to do this? It's not necessary to lose weight and conveys no advantages unless you have a medical condition requiring you to limit carbs. If you naturally prefer eating this way it is one way to stay in a caloric deficit, but the other claims made for it have not stood up to testing.

And yes. It makes your breath smell like a trash can in the sun with a dead squirrel in it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Yes the hidden carb thing is something we all have to watch for. Sugar gets added to a lot of foods that my mom made without sugar. Cold slaw is one example. Learning to read the labels on processed foods became a must in my case because of hidden carbs.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My friend tried it, lasted 3 days.
  • zcyzcy
    Options
    Okay I’m trying it because a lot of people have recommended it. Why do I need a medical reason lol if you can’t be helpful go somewhere else...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Okay I’m trying it because a lot of people have recommended it. Why do I need a medical reason lol if you can’t be helpful go somewhere else...

You don't need a medical reason, but there are certain conditions that may be improved, managed or alleviated with a keto diet.

I found no benefit doing it... And the food got boring and lacked volume and variety for how I like to eat.
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing a keto-type diet for a few years and I love it. It’s become a way of life for me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you're logging your food, carbs literally can't be hidden - they're right there in the nutrition info box.

My own personal opinion is I don't think keto is healthy long term because I think a wide variety and abundance of produce and fiber-rich grains is important for good health. But I'm no expert or authority, so there's no reason for you to care what I think. Lots of people lose weight and see their health improve on low carb.

Some people thrive on carb-heavy diets, others do better limiting them. You have to figure out which one you are.

You can eat a healthy or an unhealthy keto diet, just like any other way of eating. Ultimately whether or not you successfully lose weight and keep it off will depend on whether you stick to your calorie deficit. You want to find a way of eating that will easily keep you satisfied and at the right calorie level for the rest of your life. For me, that's around 50% carbs, for others it's 10% carbs.

There is a low-carbers group here somewhere, I'd bet they have a lot of beginner low carb info in there.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
  • zcyzcy
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips! :)