Last day of Whole 30

Options
Today was day 30 Of Whole 30. I absolutely loved the experience and learned a ton. Over the 30 days I had lost 25lbs and feel amazing. Do I go back to eating junk tomorrow or what?

I think I may just have a small personal pizza then my wife and I are going Paleo.

Anyone here do Paleo? What are your favorite things about it?

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Today was day 30 Of Whole 30. I absolutely loved the experience and learned a ton. Over the 30 days I had lost 25lbs and feel amazing. Do I go back to eating junk tomorrow or what?

I think I may just have a small personal pizza then my wife and I are going Paleo.

Anyone here do Paleo? What are your favorite things about it?

Bolded statement: Maybe not continuously gorging on junk food, but you can allow yourself some of the food you restricted on the whole 30 plan.

I don't really have an opinion on the diet itself, but what most diets are designed to do is remove or reduce the consumption of completely refined and processed food to focus on nutrient density.

"Paleo" is the same concept. Vegetarian, vegan, fruitarian, low fat, low carb, keto, carnivore, etc diets all do the same. The primary goal is to reduce the intake of "junk."

No one can identify what a paleo diet is just like no one can identify what a Mediterranean diet is supposed to be either.

Simplify your eating. Now that you have knowledge of what types of food allowed you to lose 25 lbs, if you want to maintain your leaner body, eat like a lean person would. The majority of your food should be focused on nutrient density, while allowing for fun treats every now and then to keep it going. This is the 80/20 concept of eating that Alan Aragon recommends for most people. 80% of nutrient dense food, 20% fun stuff.

Congrats on your success. Consistently maintaining it is the ultimate goal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The real challenge of Whole 30 is exactly that - what happens on day 31? What did the experience teach you, about intolerances, food choices, portions, hunger and satiety, shopping and cooking, eating socially etc etc?
  • CharlesS6730
    CharlesS6730 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If you actually did the Whole30 you would know that there is a method / system of re-introduction of foods. You also did not lose weight because of Whole30. You lost weight because you were in calorie deficit. Also 25lbs in 30 days? Whats your weight?

My weight is now 216 I did research more and realized what to do next. Thanks for the feedback everyone
  • CharlesS6730
    Options
    I really did like whole 30. There was tons of foods that I used to eat that I do not eat any longer. I do not plan on reintroducing anything as I do not need it. Plus I believe the quality of food is much better. I make all the food myself and can control what goes into the food. I scrutinize the food much more than ever.
  • CharlesS6730
    Options
    "Continue eating Whole30-ish every meal, every day, as long as that feels good to you. (We say “Whole30-ish” because added sugar may creep back in, like ketchup with your burger. That seems reasonable to us. If ketchup is the worst thing in your diet, you’re doing okay.)

When something comes around that is too good to pass up—too special, too sentimental, to important culturally, or simply too darn delicious—make a conscious, deliberate choice as to whether or not you are going to indulge. (Use our Guide to Off-Roading if you need a little help developing your own “worth it” thought process.)

If you choose to indulge, take your time. Savor it. Eat consciously. And eat only as little as you need to satisfy the situation, your experience, or your taste buds. Maybe that’s a bite, maybe it’s the whole cookie, maybe it’s 6 cookies—just make sure you don’t fall into automatic consumption.

When you’re done, move the heck on. No guilt, no shame, no remorse. You made a conscious decision to eat something you deemed worth it. Good for you. Now let’s move on back to our normally scheduled healthy meals."
  • KariA407
    KariA407 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really did like whole 30. There was tons of foods that I used to eat that I do not eat any longer. I do not plan on reintroducing anything as I do not need it. Plus I believe the quality of food is much better. I make all the food myself and can control what goes into the food. I scrutinize the food much more than ever.

Where did you get your W30 recipes from and with everything being so fresh, how did you meal prep for work week meals?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

As someone who is well versed with elimination diets and currently doing the Autoimmune Protocol, you do need to attempt to reintroduce foods. You're not getting adequate amounts of all the nutrients you need of you stick with the Whole30 long term (or you would have to be insanely creative). Variety is key! Do some more research, try one food at a time - maybe more nutrient dense ones first (nuts, legumes, etc), and document how you feel. MFP has a great note section you can use as a diary.
  • CharlesS6730
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

As someone who is well versed with elimination diets and currently doing the Autoimmune Protocol, you do need to attempt to reintroduce foods. You're not getting adequate amounts of all the nutrients you need of you stick with the Whole30 long term (or you would have to be insanely creative). Variety is key! Do some more research, try one food at a time - maybe more nutrient dense ones first (nuts, legumes, etc), and document how you feel. MFP has a great note section you can use as a diary.

I noticed that. My back muscles were getting sore. I now stick to larger quantities of lower calorie foods. I do eat some tasty foods but I now plan them to not completely derail progress. I feel great and I continue to lose weight.
  • CharlesS6730
    Options
    KariA407 wrote: »

Where did you get your W30 recipes from and with everything being so fresh, how did you meal prep for work week meals?

I was eating TONS of chicken. Lean protein and well seasoned. My wife and I would find recipes online and try them. MY favs was lemon garlic chicken and a great marinara chicken. sometimes It would just be simply seasoned chicken. And the chicken was skinless and mostly breast.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I don't really have an opinion on the diet itself, but what most diets are designed to do is remove or reduce the consumption of completely refined and processed food to focus on nutrient density.

"Paleo" is the same concept. Vegetarian, vegan, fruitarian, low fat, low carb, keto, carnivore, etc diets all do the same. The primary goal is to reduce the intake of "junk."

Vegetarian and vegan are not like the others here. A vegan diet can look like absolutely anything, including a diet of potato chips and Oreos. Someone telling you he is a "vegan" or a "vegetarian" doesn't tell you anything about what he eats, only what he doesn't eat.