To all the dads (and moms)

Options
Whats up MFP? I am a father of 2.. I work 8 hours a day.. and can only find time to work out, AFTER the kids are in bed, which is around 8p...
I am pretty weird, I dont eat a few hours BEFORE a work out, it's something mentally in my head, I will feel heavy, or dont want to barf, etc..
so I always eat AFTER a work out.. which is usually around 9p. Which I know is not good.
Do any of you go through the same things? what are your work arounds or options you have for eating.

The only thing I can think of is, to eat a 'bigger' lunch and a few light snacks leading up to my work out.. and then maybe skip dinner or a light snack after the work out.

I'd like to hear what you do.
Thanks for you suggestions

Andy

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating a large meal after your workout at night. I eat just prior to bed seven days a week.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a 19 month old. I wake up at 4:50am to workout! I tried working out after work (I also work 8hrs a day) and I noticed that I feel way too tried to do it after work. This is has worked out great for me. I do eat a bigger lunch (it's practically my dinner) and when I get home I usually do 30 Day Shred or something of that sort.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I will make up for workouts the next day. I guess I just think I have my day start at 7:30pm when the kids are in bed and if I burn 300 calories then I will eat 300 calories the next day. I don't know if this is bad or not. You could just log your excercise in the morning as if you did it the next morning then you have all day to make up that calories.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Its no big deal to eat at 9pm after your workouts. Doesn't matter what time you eat during the day, the calories are the same. The only real difference is how different types of foods sit with you while you sleep at night (some things might make you restless or have to get up in the night, etc). The fact that your are working in the workout time after the kids go to bed at 8 is great - Tough to do and have the motivation! I too hate eating anything within about 2 hours of working out, it makes me feel gross and sick during my workouts and runs. There is nothing wrong with the schedule you are doing.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I agree that its challenging to find the time...

I have twin babies that are 7 months who still wake up from time to time, but also a 2 year old that keeps me running around. I make sure to squeeze time in and to try to eat in moderation. I hardly get any rest but when it's when I'm cleaning or doing something productive. We just gotta keep on going and remind ourselves of our goals.

I'm usually eating throughout the day...snacks usually consist of veggies, fruit, fiber one bars, etc.

Hope you find the energy and strength to get it done :)
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a 19 month old. I wake up at 4:50am to workout! I tried working out after work (I also work 8hrs a day) and I noticed that I feel way too tried to do it after work. This is has worked out great for me. I do eat a bigger lunch (it's practically my dinner) and when I get home I usually do 30 Day Shred or something of that sort.

I do this too. I am just way too tired after working all day then battling with my kids all through dinner and bed times. :-) My kids aged 1 and 4 love to fart around all through dinner and do everything possible to stall bedtime. I love them to death and they are fun, energetic kids but I am exhausted after they go to bed. I have to work out in the morning or not at all.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to workout during the day when my 2 year old is awake and preoccupied with something else, like coloring books or a "new" toy (one he hasn't played with in a while). I workout about 30 minutes. I can't workout once he is in bed or before he wakes up because it will wake him up. My only option is to do it with him under my feet.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat late too sometimes. I do think it is better to eat bigger earlier in the day, generally, because of the reasons you suggested. I feel heavy and gross if I eat a lot later in the day. It doesn't always work out that way though, there are plenty of evenings I'm running around trying to finish up all of my exercise cals. I don't think it's a big deal to eat before bed if that's when you have to get your cals in. Your body doesn't know what time it is and it handles cals the same whether it's morning or night. It's much more important that it gets the nourishment it needs for recovery. Personally, I would never skip eating after a workout, NEVER. For me, the meal right after my workout is the most important meal of my day.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I too work out in the morning. My daughter is 14 months. I considered working out after she went to bed but by that time I have lost all motivation. I get up at 5:30 and go to the gym while the baby and the fiance are still sleeping. Is there a way you might be able to go earlier?

If not, I have read somewhere that the whole "don't eat after a certain time" thing isn't that big a deal. It is still all about what you eat and how much. I could be wrong though, of course everyone has a different opinion.

Eating a bigger lunch sounds like the best option, you do need to be fueled for your workout.
  • Fit_ClaudiaQ
    Options
    I totally understand. I try to avoid eating heavy before heading to the gym which is always around 6-8pm...as long as you eat something small, protein filled & drink water you should be good to go. it's recommended to eat a big, nutritional breakfast...you should try doing that..,but if you're comfortable with your method now than just keep it like that, as long as you don't go over your calorie intake for the day you shouldn't be worried of how late you eat. As long as you have protein right after you work out, but I'm pretty sure you know that. Lol! Hope it helps.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30am, in the gym by 5:30. Workout for an hour, shower, in work by 7:00am,
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating a large meal after your workout at night. I eat just prior to bed seven days a week.

Yep - my Doc told me that the info regarding eating prior to bed is in many parts bunk at this point -

I try to workout in the morning and at lunch brother - not sure if that would help you or not - but it has been what works for me (I'll also catch a workout at least *some* of the time just after work, but I've been known to do it after the kids are asleep for sure as well - and I have (at minimum) a protein shake with milk, and often a full meal...
    CJ
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I work 8 hours a day 4 days a week right now, with an hour drive each way so I can relate to the time crunch, especially when I was working 40 hours! How old are your kids, can you bring them in on some of the fun? For example...my son is 5 and while I run on the treadmill, he plays his v-tech learning video game. And sometimes he also "lifts weights" while I run too. And he does some of my Tae Bo video with me too...mostly just goofing around, but it sure makes me feel less guilty about doing it while he's awake because he's having fun too! And now, on our day off last week I gave him all sorts of fun options of stuff to do that day and he said, "can we go run somewhere?" So I took him to jog the trail at the park! A lot of stop and go, but still fun for both of us, and my runkeeper app said I burned 75 calories, so it was worth it! :)
  • wildone31
    Options
    I think you should still eat after a meal, but nothing heavy like red meat. I'd eat a big, light meal. veggies & tuna. Something like that. I'm a single mother of 2, who is working full time on a late shift. I work out as soon as I get up to start my day (normally that only after 4 to 6hrs sleep but its all good). But by working out first thing of my day I no longer worry about that late dinner and my kids seem ok with milling around for 30 to 40 mins. When school get back in there will be less milling around! Yippee!!

But try getting up early and see if that help solve the meal timing issue.
  • bridge703
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support.. I will give these a try..

I appreciate it!