Crossfit while still overweight

Options
So I been thinking of trying out Crossfit because it feels like an exercise style I can do on the long run. I like that it's more of a community driven experience rather than doing weight lifting alone. My question is, what do you think about doing crossfit while overweight? Also do you recommend it?

On the side note I also thinking about powerlifting. But I don't know enough about that.

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Crossfit - do it now! You can scale all the exercises to your own ability. I don't think I'll ever be a big lifter - joints aren't up to it. But I do Crossfit once or twice a week when I can. I am 47, a bit overweight, 5 ft tall, joint issues and I can do it, and enjoy it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can do it now! The theory behind crossfit is that the exercise needs of people (from Olympic athletes to the elderly or obese) differ by degree, not kind. Essentially, we should all be doing the same work (squats, deadlifts, sprinting), but scaled to our individual needs.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of overweight CrossFitters. It is an excellent community to be apart of and everything can be tailored to ensure you don't injure yourself. So YES start!

Couple of points to note: Make sure the coach of the box you select engages with the class. he/she should be actively correcting lifting and gymnastic technique for the skills they are teaching to make sure no one injures themselves. Secondly make sure there is a good fundamentals or ramp up program to teach you the basics before diving headlong into the classes.

Enjoy, make friends, celebrate PRs, fist bump and always always always talk about CrossFit.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Enjoy, make friends, celebrate PRs, fist bump and always always always talk about CrossFit.

This is pretty much the best explanation of the CrossFit experience. Tons of people start CF overweight, so seriously no stress about that! A great coach will help you scale workouts in an attainable (yet still challenging) way. I started almost exactly 1 month ago, borderline underweight, and completely unexperienced with the barbell. Every week I've been able to reach a PR on something, the people are so supportive and motivating, and I'm a little obsessed with it honestly. My only wish is that I started it sooner! Also, that fundamentals class is so important, I partially chose the box I did because the owner does a 3 part class where she teaches you the movements and lifts with a great dal of personal attention. I obviously still need direction and form corrections as I progress, but the classes gave me confidence that I can do it, once you get that feeling you're going to be successful!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Both are great. CrossFit is more group/social from my experience while powerlifting is more individual though competing at meets is quite social. I do powerlifting, started during the weight loss process so trained when overweight/obese though didn’t compete till was just in overweight category but just how it ended up not done on purpose that way. I have checked out a few CrossFit locations but they don’t fit in my budget or schedule. I train in a commercial gym as powerlifting locations don’t fit in commute either. Lifting has been great during the process and once form is done having numbers other than how much I weigh was helpful in the process and still is as an trying to lose the last bit currently.

Try them out and see what you prefer.