How many days in the gym?

Options
I just joined a local gym. Doing personal training Tuesday mornings, then going on my own Thursday, and Saturday morning. I don't wanna overwhelme myself with trying to get to the gym everyday. Only fitness goals are to be in better shape and get a little stronger. Will this be enough for now? Should I go more days?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, three days a week is fine. How many days a week you workout will be dictated by whatever programming you choose to follow.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals.

1. Don't go everyday - you need rest days regardless of what programming you use.
    2. If you strength train, don't train the same muscles without at least 48 hours between....meaning if you do a "whole body" workout, skip a day for recovery. You can strength train on back-to-back days if you isolate muscle groups.
    3. For cardio, you can go pretty much as much as you like, but you risk burning out if you get to aggressive with it. Even most marathon programs I've seen (I don't do distance running) have rest days incorporated into every week.

Whatever you do, start with something you can handle and build from there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I only go to the gym to lift and I do a full body program, so that's 2-3x per week. My other exercise is performed outside of the gym...mostly cycling and walking my dog.

It all really depends on your fitness goals. As weight loss goes, your diet is going to be far more important than how many times you get to the gym.
  • RockinOilyMomma
    RockinOilyMomma Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great start. You could always do walks on non-gym days. Every bit counts, even if it is only an extra 15-20 minutes of walking. Plus the sunshine would be good for you too.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey, my goal was to move every day. I may only work out a few days a week but on the other days I'll clean or garden or walk. Just getting yourself off the couch and moving every day helps in the process of losing weight and becoming more healthy.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Zero. I try to get in 3 SUP paddles over 5 miles and 3 walks over 6 miles each week. Lately, swimming for an hour or two has replaced walking on some hot days.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal and what you are doing at the gym. Technically I go 7 days a week, but not necessarily for exercise. My gym is also the Y, so on rest days I do a meditation yoga class after my classes (volunteer for Big Brothers/Big Sisters and adult literacy). I do cardio daily, always a dedicated walk and run 5 days a week. I lift 3 days a week.
  • asadali317
    asadali317 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just joined a local gym. Doing personal training Tuesday mornings, then going on my own Thursday, and Saturday morning. I don't wanna overwhelme myself with trying to get to the gym everyday. Only fitness goals are to be in better shape and get a little stronger. Will this be enough for now? Should I go more days?

i prefer 4 days a week i go monday tuesday then rest on wednesday, then thursday ad friday and spend weekend with the family. in the beginning i would recommend you only exercise (cardio) for a maximum of 40 minutes until your body doesn't get used to the exercise and then after 4 weeks start doing an hour exercise for a month and in the 3rd month add strength training 2x a week. i am obese so my knees hurt if i exercise too much so i like to do 20 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes bikes, 10 minutes rowing machine. i avoid cross trainer/elliptical machine because it puts too much stress on my knees. hope this helps x. good luck with your journey xxx
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to ramp up exercise gradually if you're just starting out. Start at a very manageable frequency, and a relatively low intensity**, and increase gradually. Allow some rest days. ****

IMO, you should try to accomplish three things:

1. Challenge yourself a little bit during the exercise itself (make it a little bit hard, not always super easy)
    2. Finish the exercise session(s) feeling energized (not exhausted/dragging) for the rest of your daily life (after maybe a few minutes of a bit of a "whew" feeling immediately after the session).
    3. Maintain exercise at its proper place in your life for good overall life balance, i.e., don't spend so much time on it that it takes away undesirably much time and energy from your family life, work, friendships, non-exercise hobbies, etc.

All of those are individual and subjective, and can change for an individual over time. The first two relate strongly to your current level of conditioning, and the 3rd relates strongly to your personal value system. That means we can't tell you a "right answer". ;)

** Probably obvious after reading the middle part, but frequency and/or intensity can increase as your fitness improves. There's no hard and fast guideline.

**** How to schedule rest days can also vary as your fitness improves, as can what counts as a "rest day". For pretty much everyone at sub-elite fitness levels, we should not do heavy (to us) strength training of the same muscles every day, but allow a day (two sleeps) between sessions; we should not do high-intensity cardio every day (one to two sessions a week of true high-intensity is the most even most elites do); but as fitness evolves it's fine to do cardio daily at a range of intensities. Mixing up cardio modalities (not doing the same thing every day) can be good for general fitness and avoidance of overuse injuries, but there can be exceptions to this if you get very focused on a particular modality (running, biking, etc.) and learn technical aspects of conditioning for that sport. As a true beginner who's been completely sedentary, truly resting from exercise every other day can be good; as you get a little more fit, using the off days for mild activity (yoga, casual walk or bike, etc.) is fine; I'm a great believer in one true rest day weekly for almost everyone, but that can be mild activity once a particular exercise schedule is very manageable.)

Just my opinions.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I used to do 5; now I do 3 or 4 (and usually 3 more often than 4) Most of my exercise is walking outdoors so I just make it to the gym for the minimum required time to keep my abs and behind thicc haha
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I aim to go 7 days per week, but it usually ends up being 5-6 days. I love love love going to the gym, but that is because I found something that I really like. I do Les Mills classes and Strong Zumba. The harder I push, the better I feel and the feeling you get after a shower when coming from the gym is unbeatable. I have depression and can say that exercise really is the best anti depressant.

So if I were to give any advice it would be to find something that you really enjoy doing and you will find yourself looking forward to it.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I like working out, and have a stationary bike and rowing machine at home. But. My son asked me to join their gym’s family plan 9 months ago. I chose a strength and endurance class which was weights or TRX or your own body weight exercises. One day a week was core and upper body, one day was legs. I told myself I’d go every time I could, and not stress it.

Nine months later I’m much stronger everywhere and just added a third night class. Just commit to going your 3 days but don’t get frustrated with yourself if life gets in the way and you miss an occasional day. Don’t let real life derail you in your workout. I’ve worked out for 45 years, but sometimes skipped a few months here and there. Make it a habit, for your physical and mental health.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    There is no "right" amount to go to the gym. If you're just starting out, once a week is enough. If you want to do more, then do more. If you're going from zero exercise to 3 days, you'll find it quite exhausting. Don't worry, it does get easier.