Magnesium powder..

I just brought magnesium citrate powder. Usually i take the pills but they were the oxide type. So i did as the instructions said and put it in hot water but it did not dissolve. Any ideas on how to get it to dissolve so i can drink it and get my mag in? I don't want to go back to the pills as i have trouble taking them. I also tried it in my coffee hoping to cover up the taste.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Which brand? I had a bad batch from "NOW" brand that didn't dissolve. It also didn't taste tart like it usually does. I ended up switching to magnesium glycinate capsules.. mostly due to convenience & taste of capsules. Anyway, if you don't get other replies, you might try emailing the company. :+1:
  • ghostband
    ghostband Posts: 7 Member
    The last one I had that was suppose to easily dissolve in water, I had to really shake before it would. If you have a reliable travel mug maybe a quick shake in there could help?
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Hum, try hotter water and if still nothing, see if you can return/ exchange it. Drink it from a staw, easier on the teeth. Good stuff.
  • BHelen25
    BHelen25 Posts: 1 Member
    I used the brand ‘natural calm’ for a few years. I used to dissolve it per the instructions using hot water from the instant hot water tank next to the regular faucet on my sink. It would dissolve and then I’d add one ice cube to cool it down so I could drink it. It comes in a variety of flavors, but I noticed that I had to force myself to take them. ‘Natural calm’ also offers an original flavor. I have found that I can mix it in with my ‘true lemonade’ that I buy from meijer or Kroger. It just makes it taste like it was once carbonate and has gone a little flat. ‘Now’ brand also offers magnesium citrate in pill form too! I recently found that by accident. That is me next trial. I hope this helps!
  • jasminsmom
    jasminsmom Posts: 2 Member
    Slightly off topic: i want to track magnesium in my diary, but i don't see it in the nutrients drop-down menu. does anyone know of some way to add it? Thank you :-)
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    What is magnesium for when dieting, thanks guys
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    JaneAero wrote: »

Nothing...it's just a supplement to get more magnesium if you're low. It's an electrolyte...people who train regularly and train hard and sweat a lot often have to supplement magnesium and other electrolytes to replenish them.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    JaneAero wrote: »

Also helpful to relax muscles (like Epsom salt in a bath) and for constipation. I know this bc I buy it (Natural Calm) for my dad w belly problems & a tremor (not Parkinson's, but looks similar) and for a friend who has chronic pain (car accident years ago and works in construction).
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Mine always dissolves in water regardless of temperature. Sounds like you got a bad batch.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I've found that some brands dissolve better than others. Natural Calm and Garden of Life's Relax & Restore always dissolve pretty well for me, but Walmart's Spring Valley Magnesium never dissolves, no matter how I mix it up. I've gotten into the habit of just taking 4-5 caps of Pure Encapsulation's Magnesium Glycinate and I've found that i like that pretty well in lieu of taking a powdered form.
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks everyone