When to stop losing?

Options
So, I'm approaching my arbitrarily goal of -40 lbs. I lost 30+ pounds then started the insanity work out program. I'm in the middle of insanity week 4 and I'm poised to crash through my goal weight sometime early next week.

I feel pretty good. Hell, I feel skinny. I'm about 5' 10.5" and 195 lbs. I still have about an inch of fat on my belly, which even by my standards is not a lot.

I think I'm going to re-adjust my goal weight to 186 (~48 lb lost total). At that point I think that's where I need to be. Does that seem reasonable?

I think the BMI <25 goal is hysterically impractical for my frame. I'd look like a meth addict.

Replies

• Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I think that sounds reasonable especially if you feel that's where you should be. I think it's up to ourselves to know what's best weight/size wise that is. I'm close to my goal myself but once I get there I may decide to go another 3-4 lbs. I just need to wait till I get there first then decide what to do.

Good luck!
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about weight and start focusing on how you look and feel. We are about the same height and weight, but I need to loose at least 10 lbs which is fat.

Sounds to me like you have lost your fat and weigh more because of muscle. If that is the case and your BMI is that low, stay off the scales.
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    I am most definately not an expert but my thinking was that if you are working out and eating healthy you shouldnt get "too thin" you will just start gaining more muscle..which could even cause your weight to go up. Granted that you are eating right! and eating back your calories shouldnt you be able to continue this lifestyle????
  • CarmenSox
    CarmenSox Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think its pratical.....i also feel like what my "ideal" weight is isnt pratical... i would look sick too. I dont many people that weigh 97 pounds that arent 11! I know Im short but Im just playing mine as I go. When i feel comfortable I will know it.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would based my decision on how I feel. BMI is really just a guide. You also may want to go and have a body fat check with your doctor. Body fat percentage I a much more individual marker and can tell you if you are in the healthy range. Good job on your loss!!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You say you feel pretty good. Do you like what you see in the mirror? If not, maybe drop a few, say 5 lbs and then reassess. If you are still not happy, drop 5 more. Just a suggestion. Since you feel great, that's a terrific accomplishment, so congrats!
  • kbentley57
    kbentley57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like everyone will say, It's up to you, and what ever makes you feel satisfied. My 2 cents worth: I think that you and I have similar builds, based on height and weight. I started out at about 200 lbs at the beginning of this summer, and I just now hit crossed the 170 barrier. I don't think 185 lbs for our height is overweight, regardless of what the BMI scale says, specially if you have some muscle mass. I don't think you would look like a meth addict at <25 BMI. What I found is that I started looking more lean in places I hadn't expected. I lost some more weight around my jaw line, in my fluffy biceps, around my knees, and the biggest thing that was cool, was the overlap that hasn't started to show up even when I set down. Also, I can say that I feel much better at 170 than I did even at 180. My goal was 170 for the summer, but I think I'm going to try to keep going till I get to about 160. If you're on a roll, you might as well continue as time permits. In no time you'll realized that you've dropped another 5 lbs.
  • bmmarti3
    bmmarti3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep the calorie target where it is until I get down to about the 186 I mentioned.

I'll re-evaluate from there. I guess I'll refocus my workout to more strength training (maybe 50/50 cardio / weights) after I finish the insanity program.

Because someone asked, when I look in the mirror I look skinny as hell to myself (and others, my wife says I'm wasting away).

I think I've lost it the right way. From day 1 back in January I've averaged 1.235 lbs/week (though I had a few major weight spikes along the way from vacations and work travel). The wife and I are both eating much healthier than before. We weren't habitual fast food eaters or anything like that, but we've cut back on using butter and oils and learned more about appropriate portion sizes.

I graduated high school in great shape from sports weighing about 205 lbs. I was a beast in the gym and had a lot of muscle mass. Now I'm much more fit cardio wise and I weigh less. It feels good. After I get to 186 I'll probably try to get back to around 190-195 from healthy muscle weight (I just like being a tad bigger than most people).

Again thanks for the advice I'll keep reading as long as people keep posting.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Just my opinion- and how I answer this question for myself:

A good health check up- A+ on your blood work, healthy body fat %, increased energy levels
    as well as any other medical/physical problems that are alleviated ( or even better.....ELIMINATED!)

are the very BEST gauges to go by.....when it's time to cruise into maintenance mode......a lifestyle you can reasonably maintain
    without the fear of becoming a slave once again to food/exercise
    because of constant obsessing over what you're eating/not eating........

The LAST thing I can go by is "how I feel"....at 60 pounds overweight I didn't care
    at a stage in my life where I starved myself (self-abasement) and reached 82 lbs...I still "felt" overweight
    Even now, my "feelings" affect my mindset. I simply CANNOT trust them. But that's me......
  • bmmarti3
    bmmarti3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

A good health check up- A+ on your blood work, healthy body fat %, increased energy levels
    as well as any other medical/physical problems that are alleviated ( or even better.....ELIMINATED!)

This is a great point. High cholesterol runs in my family. I had blood work done 6 months ago for a wellness check with my doctor. I was actually just in the process of getting orders for a new set of blood work to make a new appointment.

I really just wanted to see how the numbers were coming along. I guess that should be the actual goal. To try and keep my cholesterol down before I get forced on to medication for it.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    [/quote]

This is a great point. High cholesterol runs in my family. I had blood work done 6 months ago for a wellness check with my doctor. I was actually just in the process of getting orders for a new set of blood work to make a new appointment.

I really just wanted to see how the numbers were coming along. I guess that should be the actual goal. To try and keep my cholesterol down before I get forced on to medication for it.
    [/quote]

Yeppers, I couldn't agree more. I guess it comes down to the real motivation for losing weight- is it vanity ? ( not that it's a bad thing- it's a great motivator too)
    or about being in the best healthiest body we can control? The latter will carry you MUCH further down the road.

I've known people who SEEM to be in great shape who've had heart attacks/strokes because they don't make the best food choices...and depend on that cholesterol medicine too much.
    My goal is to get off it- IF I can with everything in MY power to get it down. But that won't give me a license to eat whatever I want and expect the pill to undo it.