Working out and gaining weight! Help!

Options
I have recently started working out again to get back on the wagon. I started gaining weight as opposed to losing and I have never had this happen before. Has this happened to anyone else? Help!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is going to come mainly from moderating the calories you consume rather than the calories you burn. Are you tracking and measuring intake accurately for weight loss (based on TDEE or the goal that MFP sets for you)?

If yes, sometimes starting a new workout routine can cause weight gain due to water retention, but it should be temporary as long as you are consistent with the new routine.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is going to come mainly from moderating the calories you consume rather than the calories you burn. Are you tracking and measuring intake accurately for weight loss (based on TDEE or the goal that MFP sets for you)?

If yes, sometimes starting a new workout routine can cause weight gain due to water retention, but it should be temporary as long as you are consistent with the new routine.

^ All of this.

Also, sometimes when people start working out they get a boost in appetite and may not realize they're eating more than before.

Accurate logging is key.
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is me right now. I am eating well and definitely staying within my calories, however I am working out harder than I ever have in my life. The scale has gone down and back up but I feel a difference in my body and my mood. I know I am retaining water because I am feeling muscles I didn't even know I had. You didn't say how long you have been back "at it." If you are comfortable to say that you are logging food accurately, I'd say you need to keep with it and give your body time to adjust. I made sure to take measurements as well. Check them every couple weeks and you'll probably see a difference even if the number on the scale isn't dropping like you'd hoped.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Some water weight gain when kicking up your activity level is relatively normal. It'll pass. You might want to try drinking a bit more.