Does fasting boost energy?

Options
I need an energy boost will fasting for a day do that?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It only made me tired. Have you tried caffeine? Are you eating nutrient dense foods? How many calories are you eating? Are you sleeping?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I tire much easier when fasting than when eating light. When I overeat I have no trouble snoozing. That happy medium in between is what I strive for. Also, have you been doing anything to get/stay in shape? That makes a huge difference.
  • cathyreames62
    cathyreames62 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am doing the intermittent fasting, 16/8 and all but the second day I have a lot of energy and I am seeing results. I learned I needed all of my protein and have it set at 45%.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont see any differene but then I have done it all my life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I gather responses to it are somewhat individual, but all it does for me is make me feel tired, draggy, and sap my workout intensity. Oh, and sometimes it messes up my digestive system throughput, which tends to be a little persnickety in general.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Not for me, I've only attempted twice but both times just made me irrationally angry (at everything) and even more tired. Plus I get light headed and clammy if I go too long between meals, which means I can't really workout or be terribly active at all. I'd much rather just eat lower calorie options more frequently, I feel better that way, and I've had no issues losing and maintaining for 3 years without having to feel like I'm going to punch everyone :D
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Energy boost not really.

For many there's an emotional/mental/spiritual clarity that shows up around 18-24 hours into a water fast. But not everyone experiences that in the same way or to the same degree.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Rationally, food is energy. If you don't eat food you don't give your body energy. So fasting should realistically not create an energyboost. But if people feel it why argue against it?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Why not try it and see?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Why not try it and see?

Humans have been fasting for spiritual/mental reasons for millennia. Pick a day, prepare yourself mentally, prepare your environment to reduce temptation/distraction, And then fast. use the time you would have spent eating on some other activity to improve yourself mentally or spiritually or emotionally--Read, meditate, etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Energy boost not really.

For many there's an emotional/mental/spiritual clarity that shows up around 18-24 hours into a water fast. But not everyone experiences that in the same way or to the same degree.

24 hrs without food for me would not be a pretty sight lol but thats me.2 days of a dr prescribed liquid diet for certain tests for me are sheer torture
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It only made me tired. Have you tried caffeine? Are you eating nutrient dense foods? How many calories are you eating? Are you sleeping?

Fasting for 24 hours would make me want to sleep the entire time - just so I didn't realize how flipping hungry I was.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    From a chemical or physiological stand point I’m not aware of any reaction which would create an actual measurable energy boost. You have to “burn” calories to create energy (energy not being able to be created from
    Nothing) and just fasting doesn’t mean that you suddenly “burn” more calories or create energy in lieu of any other extraneous trigger (like exercise for instance). However anecdotally people have reported it. I think it’s very subjective though.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Energy boost not really.

24 hrs without food for me would not be a pretty sight lol but thats me.2 days of a dr prescribed liquid diet for certain tests for me are sheer torture

I’m with you. I dread fasting for a test.