The Hunger Monster

Options
LisaMC1R
LisaMC1R Posts: 34 Member
I eat a meal and it doesn't make me feel full - it makes me feel hungry. Literally. Any tips, tricks, or insight? ~L

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's appetite, not hunger? What's your height, weight and calorie intake?
  • LisaMC1R
    Options
    5'6" 270 right now my goal is 1425
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Satiety is SUPER individual, so what makes me feel full isn't necessarily what makes you feel full. Some people are volume eaters, and feel fuller when they incorporate foods that are bulky but relatively low in calories (salad greens, raw vegetables, popcorn, etc.) Other people find protein and/or fat satiating, so a huge bowl of popcorn wouldn't help. It would be a good idea for you to keep a food journal for a couple of weeks and see if you can track any patterns in what you eat vs. how full you feel afterward.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    domserlisa wrote: »
    5'6" 270 right now my goal is 1425
    It sounds like too little food.
  • PumpkinPeril
    PumpkinPeril Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. I'm 5'8" and 264. I'm losing 1.5lbs on a net 1690. I don't feel full unless I'm taking in 1800+ so I make sure to be active enough that I can meet my net goal.

In my month here, I've learned that I like higher protein and fats to make me feel fuller. I've also learned to make peace with my 1.5 rate as I know it's sustainable with my life. I personally envision a 250 cal window around my daily goal, so if I need a little more or have a little less I'm still at a good rate of loss.
  • LisaMC1R
    Options
    So what happens when you have too little food? Does that just mean my body is hanging on to what I have so I'm not losing? Also, I'm happy as hell to lose 1.5 a week. Do you really think upping the cals are the way to go? This is all so confusing. Ughhhh. I really appreciate all your insight
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    LisaMC1R wrote: »
    So what happens when you have too little food?
    You get hungry. Then, you'll normally eat. If you eat too little, or not at all, for long enough, you get sick.
    Does that just mean my body is hanging on to what I have so I'm not losing?
    No, the world is ruled by laws of nature, not forces of magic.
    Do you really think upping the cals are the way to go?
    We tend to think so. Ultimately, you decide.
  • fichey
    fichey Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What the folks above said, but also, drink a lot of water. Like, a lot. Water before the meal. During. After have a glass of water or a hot tea or something. It will help.
    I also like to course out my meals -- so even if they are small to begin with I will have a "salad course". Then wait. Then a handful of cherries or something. Then the main dish. Maybe I'll split my portion in two so I can have seconds but still the same amount. Getting up to get more is somehow psychologically satisfying.
    Also, as the person said above, I like volume. So a big bowl of iceberg helps, even though it's net not very many calories and shouldn't be as satisfying as pasta - turns out I just like having my stomach be full.
    And then, just, wait. It will get easier after a couple of days.

Also, yes, MFP recommends 1425 to me and I cannot do under 1600 for more than a day at a time; I probably average 1700-1800. Just too hard, both in terms of not eating enough and I haven't figured out how to make meals that add up to that. 1400 is really quite low. I walk more, it is fine, I've been losing roughly a pound and a half a week. I'm 5'7" & 220 so you probably burn more than me.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I worked my diet around volume. what foods can I eat that are as low calorie as possible so I can eat A LOT at 1300 calories per day. There is a book called Volumetrics. I end up eating tons of veggies, little grains (not NO grain or even low carbs just rice and pasta and stuff really is high calorie). Note that I am quite short thus my lower calorie (I am not quite 5'1 and now at 150pds)

but, if you are not getting used to the amount it may make it harder to maintain the loss. So while it feels great to loose FASTER, it will be very hard to maintain that if you are actually HUNGRY and your risk going off the rails completely sooner. Loosing slower but feeling good and happy is very valid and can mean long term success.
  • bazile26
    bazile26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    DRINK WATER!
  • fichey
    Options
    good luck! hunger sucks. Yesterday I was so hungry I just kept snacking til I went well over. But I tried to remember my own advice and ate a lot of green beans, watermelon and popcorn :) And today is fine.
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Here is something I notice for me is .
    When I keep myself busy I don't think about food .
    If I am sitting down watching tv .
    Ummm . I start to get hungry or crave food.
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    For me, having a high protein meal keeps me satisfied for hours. It's not as "fun" as carbs can be - but I'm trying to seriously lose. So. That's my tip! It does work - but some times, I don't do it. I crave and cave to the carbs. And, wind up eating more than I really wanted to.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I ding higher protein foods more filling too. Being veggie, it can be difficult, but two boiled eggs in sourdough bread, with no butter, just mixed with a little mayo and finely chopped lettuce, is very filling for lunch and not mega calories.
  • fichey
    Options
    Oh! The other thing is I have issues with stomach acid and gerd and that can mess with your feelings of hunger too. Something to consider.