Keto stall!!! I want to cry!

Options
I have been doing the Keto diet for the past 5 weeks now and up until the past two weeks have had a steady loss every week. I have not moved at all on the scale after the last two weeks. I drink plenty of water throughout the day and track everything (macros) I eat. I’m not doing anything differently than I did the first three weeks but just can’t manage to move past this stall? Do I recalculate my macros? I’ve lost about 8 pounds so far. Any suggestions from the Keto pros out there?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • ktgonka
    ktgonka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m counting fat, protein, and carbs. I definitely try and eat as close to 1,200 cals per day and to target my macros (always hit my protein, get close to fat, and never go over my net carbs of 16g).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring those calories though? Food scale? Measuring cups? Eyeballing portions?
  • ktgonka
    ktgonka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for some insight and helpful feedback. It’s enough to keep me going :)
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine, you've actually lost quite a bit in a short period of time, and two weeks isn't really much of a plateu. I don't know if this applies to you, but ladies can often have monthly cycle variations on their weight. And weight loss isn't a straight line. It will go up and down left, right and centre, as long as the general trend is downwards, then it's good :smile:

A couple of suggestions for you:
    - Be careful with prepackaged items, sometimes when you have portions of things, they can be out by small amounts. This can make a difference. For example, say you bought a 400g pack of 2 burgers and the packet said that 1 burger was 200g and was 200kcals. Simple right? Except actually, one burger is 170g and the other is 230g. And they look the same, so if you're sharing the packet with someone else, you have no idea which one you're eating. This is actually a lot more common than you'd think, so if you're really worried, weigh out your prepackaged stuff.
    - Weighing things is always better than using cups if possible. Depending on how tightly packed an item is, can give you massive variations.
    - And make sure you weigh things before they're cooked. It's normally more accurate for your logging.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    ktgonka wrote: »
    I have been doing the Keto diet for the past 5 weeks now and up until the past two weeks have had a steady loss every week. I have not moved at all on the scale after the last two weeks. I drink plenty of water throughout the day and track everything (macros) I eat. I’m not doing anything differently than I did the first three weeks but just can’t manage to move past this stall? Do I recalculate my macros? I’ve lost about 8 pounds so far. Any suggestions from the Keto pros out there?

How often do you weigh yourself, if it's once a week, you may not be getting and accurate reading.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have just come out of a 2+ weeks stall (I'm not keto) during which I was beginning to feel frustrated. Now out of it and have had a bit of a whoosh. Don't panic, keep going. Provided you are keeping to your deficit and measurig accurately your loss will get going again. Your loss to date has been pretty quick - it may well slow down so be prepared. Many people do not lose weight in a linear fashion - 2 weeks with no scale move is common for me.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am on keto (maintaining now, but used it to lose 10+ lbs) and found that unlike other diets I'd been on, there was quite a bit of stair-stepping, where I'd drop more than 2 lbs in a week, then stay at that weight or even gain back a half lb or so, then drop another 2 etc. Ultimately it was the fastest and easiest weight I've ever lost, but I definitely had weeks with a disappointment on the scale.