Gym Attendance Frequency

Options
iankuk
iankuk Posts: 31 Member
Ere, question for you fine folk. I go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week at the min. So far I've minimal success by doing 50 mins of weights and about 10 mins of cardio. Based on that I'm fairly obese still but love doing the weights, should I change my routine a tad? I'm normally at gym for around an hour, can extend if needed. I was thinking of say, day 1 - cardio, day 2 - weights - day 3 cardio and weights.
Plus if I go 2 times a week, day 1 - weights and cardio day 2 - weights and cardio.

What ya reckon peeps?

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am sure there will be plenty of advice coming from sensible people who know what they are talking about. :)

• iankuk
    iankuk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am sure there will be plenty of advice coming from sensible people who know what they are talking about. :)

haha thank you for your input nonetheless, it's certainly made me laugh!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Gym Attendance Frequency"
    For me x3 in the cycling months (mostly upper body and core work) and x6 or x7 a week in winter when I do most of my cardio training indoors. But that's aligned to my goals and capabilities so not sure how much comparison helps you.

What are your success criteria?
    I would be looking at strength increases from my weights and fitness/performance improvements from my cardio training but how are you measuring success?
  • PrincessVamp666
    PrincessVamp666 Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I go to the gym on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the moment :)

I am fairly obese too. I only started going back in May so I am sort of trying to ease myself into it, eventually I think I will go 5 days a week and do Monday Wednesday Friday as cardio/weights and then I'll do Tuesday/Thursday just walking on the treadmill to get some LISS in.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I go every week day and sometimes one weekend day depending. A couple days are just cardio days but I do two upper and two lower body days, abs and core I sprinkle in a little each day. I hike Saturday usually.
  • LIBOR_cat
    LIBOR_cat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    80% diet man. You can even go everyday but it is all in the food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    iankuk wrote: »
    Ere, question for you fine folk. I go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week at the min. So far I've minimal success by doing 50 mins of weights and about 10 mins of cardio. Based on that I'm fairly obese still but love doing the weights, should I change my routine a tad? I'm normally at gym for around an hour, can extend if needed. I was thinking of say, day 1 - cardio, day 2 - weights - day 3 cardio and weights.
    Plus if I go 2 times a week, day 1 - weights and cardio day 2 - weights and cardio.

What ya reckon peeps?

I exercise 5-6x per week...when I eat maintenance calories, I maintain...when I want to cut weight, I eat less.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I work out every day...not the same thing every day but a combination of running, spin, and weights. I find it keeps me sane. I didn't start out this much though so I think at minimum 150 minutes a week is what is recommended (which would equate to 3 days of 50 minutes each). Just my two cents.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    LIBOR_cat wrote: »
    80% diet man. You can even go everyday but it is all in the food.

That depends on what OP's goals are (which were never stated).

If the goal is weight loss, it doesn't really matter much because diet will be the primary factor. But if OP's goals include strength, hypertrophy, or sport-specific performance, training programming/parameters most certainly do matter.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    minimal success as far as what? not losing weight? because that is all about eating less calories than you burn, it doesn't matter how many times you go to the gym.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is “minimal success” and how long is “so far”? Without further info I would say weigh and log your food on MFP daily, walk as far as you able to daily with a goal of 2-3 miles, and lift weights 3x week following an organized program.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. If you're trying to lose weight, the only thing that matters is that you eat fewer calories than you burn. Simply burning more calories by doing more exercise doesn't ensure that you'll have a calorie deficit, because you could still be eating more than your body burns throughout the day. The most accurate way to make sure that you're eating fewer calories than you burn is to weigh and log everything you eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss, macros/micros for nutrition, strength exercise for body composition/appearance, cardiovascular exercise for CV health.

All of them are worthwhile, but what to do depends on your personal priorities.

Amount of time to devote depends on what you need in other realms for life balance (family, job, friends, chores, non-exercise hobbies getting their due, etc.).
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    iankuk wrote: »

What ya reckon peeps?

What do you mean by 'minimal success'? If it's muscle gain you're looking for it takes time. A lot of it. Keep on progressively adding weight over time and you'll build muscle. If it's weight loss you're looking for maybe shift into a bit more cardio and reduce the weight training a hair, or just increase the cardio. But what matters for weight loss is calorie deficit. If you're not accurately logging your food and staying in a deficit you won't lose the weight.