Exercise just makes me more hungry

Options
I also started a natural hormone treatment for something I have, and that makes me hungry too.

I try to drink plenty of water, but I swear there are days I'm even capable of consuming 3000 calories. And my exercise burns at max 500 calories a day. In the days where I'm really killing it on exercise while staying within the calorie limit (1750 calories), I also get heart palpitations and weakness at night. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with electrolytes as I sweat a lot during my cardio sessions. But even a few minutes of strength training (push ups etc) make me feel like I haven't eaten for a week! :o

I am already aware that I need protein and healthy fat in my diet as well as veggies etc, and most of the days I'm able to keep it healthy. I also take iron tablets and multivitamin supplements. But even with healthy food I tend to overdo it in quantity, even when I know to use small plates etc. I just get really weak and shaky if I stay within 1700 calories, and that's about my maintenance calories for when I reach my goal!

I'm 1.63 cm tall, 75 kg and 31 years old female by the way. My goal weight is 65 kg. Any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you eating back exercise cals?
  • travelertechie
    travelertechie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    are you eating back exercise cals?

Yes I do.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Might be a fluke, but every time I have participated in a 5k they have had tables set up with bananas and sometimes also oranges sliced in half for all the runners. It helped me with the "shakes" my body was experiencing afterward. Maybe consider a post-workout snack that is similar? It could be an interesting experiment...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I get that with weight lifting and swimming. Both drive my appetite through the roof. Review your logs and see if there are things you can change to make a difference. I just bumped my protein and fat up a little to see if that will make a difference for me. Play with it. Some people find proteins and fats more filling, others use extra fruits and veggies to increase volume without too many calories (depending on which ones you eat).
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The same thing was happening to me until I added some extra fat into my diet. Now I get hungry before meals but it is a manageable hunger.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    It gets better with time. I used to be famished when I worked out. Now, not nearly as much. And my calorie burns when I started losing (I lost 70 lbs and kept off 60 of it for over 5 years -- I added 10 in muscle back) went from 300 to nearly 800 or 900 a day. I do hard cardio and lifting (sometimes in one session).

I don't eat breakfast on days I'm not lifting (just doing cardio). That helps. It also helps to replace most of the calories burned in the two hours before and hour after when lifting (plus some). Drink lots of water too. Electrolytes also help, so does adequate protein/fat. You just adjust to it after a time.

3000 calories is a lot. I'm a 190 lb guy that burns a lot of calories (I train for indoor rowing competitions hard). I don't know if I eat that much in a day. I likely eat 2700 calories or so a day. Eating real food not processed stuff also helps.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    In another chapter from “macros are individual preference” I get ravenously hungry after a long run (12-15 miles is bad, 15+ and I’m like a bear coming out of hibernation). I can easily eat 4-6k calories and still be hungry on long run days. I used to get quite hungry after most workouts but really now only have the ravenous hunger after long runs.

What has helped me feel better and manage the regular workouts and normal runs is upping my carbs and lowering my fats (protein is the same). Obviously, YMMV since others are reporting that increasing fats helped them.

For general hunger/satiety (not related to workouts), I find volume and fiber the be the biggest helpers. Again, YMMV - many find protein and fat to be satiating (I do not).

Try different foods, different macros, maybe even different timings (pre/post workout), etc. also know certain types of workouts affect different people in different ways regarding hunger. Some people get hungry with high intensity, some with weightlifting, some with steady state cardio, some with all of the above, some with none of the above, some the day of the workout, some the day after, etc.

A lot of these things are trial and error to find the best mix for you.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    In another chapter from “macros are individual preference” I get ravenously hungry after a long run (12-15 miles is bad, 15+ and I’m like a bear coming out of hibernation). I can easily eat 4-6k calories and still be hungry on long run days. I used to get quite hungry after most workouts but really now only have the ravenous hunger after long runs.

What has helped me feel better and manage the regular workouts and normal runs is upping my carbs and lowering my fats (protein is the same). Obviously, YMMV since others are reporting that increasing fats helped them.

For general hunger/satiety (not related to workouts), I find volume and fiber the be the biggest helpers. Again, YMMV - many find protein and fat to be satiating (I do not).

Try different foods, different macros, maybe even different timings (pre/post workout), etc. also know certain types of workouts affect different people in different ways regarding hunger. Some people get hungry with high intensity, some with weightlifting, some with steady state cardio, some with all of the above, some with none of the above, some the day of the workout, some the day after, etc.

A marathon only burns around 2600 calories (roughly) so you would be gaining a lot of weight during running season!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I also started a natural hormone treatment for something I have, and that makes me hungry too.

I try to drink plenty of water, but I swear there are days I'm even capable of consuming 3000 calories. And my exercise burns at max 500 calories a day. In the days where I'm really killing it on exercise while staying within the calorie limit (1750 calories), I also get heart palpitations and weakness at night. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with electrolytes as I sweat a lot during my cardio sessions. But even a few minutes of strength training (push ups etc) make me feel like I haven't eaten for a week! :o

I am already aware that I need protein and healthy fat in my diet as well as veggies etc, and most of the days I'm able to keep it healthy. I also take iron tablets and multivitamin supplements. But even with healthy food I tend to overdo it in quantity, even when I know to use small plates etc. I just get really weak and shaky if I stay within 1700 calories, and that's about my maintenance calories for when I reach my goal!

I'm 1.63 cm tall, 75 kg and 31 years old female by the way. My goal weight is 65 kg. Any advice?

You're probably overdoing the "healthy food" part.

While I understand you have some limitations on what you can eat due to various conditions, Many people find that upping proteins and fats can lead to being more satisfied.

Additionally, if you're burning 500 calories in training, you should be eating those calories. Sufficient Protein throughout the day and easily digestible sugars like gummy candy are helpful if you're getting shaky during or after intense cardio training.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

A marathon only burns around 2600 calories (roughly) so you would be gaining a lot of weight during running season!

Plus the calories I burn in all the hours of the day that I’m not running the marathon (which is most of the hours of the day). So my TDEE would be somewhere between 4 and 5k.

So depending on my actual TDEE and intake, I might gain if I didn’t account for that known hunger that’s coming and manage my calorie intake accordingly. I’m losing ~1 lb a week - even though I exceed my TDEE by a bit on that one day.

• MikePfirrman
    Options

Plus the calories I burn in all the hours of the day that I’m not running the marathon (which is most of the hours of the day). So my TDEE would be somewhere between 4 and 5k.

So depending on my actual TDEE and intake, I might gain if I didn’t account for that known hunger that’s coming and manage my calorie intake accordingly. I’m losing ~1 lb a week - even though I exceed my TDEE by a bit on that one day.

Thanks for clarifying that. I know a lot of fat runners that believe they can eat anything because they run. After five years on maintenance, nothing falls off the maintenance wagon faster than an injured runner (and I was a former runner myself that managed to stay on maintenance with chronic injury).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to have a small high-carb pre-run snack, and then eat as soon as possible after I run. My post-run breakfast is high in protein and fiber. Carbs for energy, protein and fiber for satiety. It helps me not get rungry later in the day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i think this is where nutrition become more important.
    I found when i squeezed as much nutrition as i could out of every calorie, a deficit was more feasible.