Need some creative pet name

Options

Replies

• iwaannalookkgoodmfp
    iwaannalookkgoodmfp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dogs will respond better to a name with two syllables, the first one should be a hard sound.

Apparently the first syllable attracts their attention and they recognize the second one.

I'm not a fan of a dog or other pet having a human name. You will, hopefully, keep the dog for 12 to 16 yeas or more. What if in that time a human comes into your life with the same name?

Happened to a friend of mine, he got a girlfriend with the same name as the dog that he had already owned for about 4 or 5 years. They were both Maggie. He tried renaming the dog but it was very confusing because the dog would answer to both names. (The gf only to one lol).

Thanks for the advice! Your friend's case is funny tho haha
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Dogs will respond better to a name with two syllables, the first one should be a hard sound.

Apparently the first syllable attracts their attention and they recognize the second one.

I'm not a fan of a dog or other pet having a human name. You will, hopefully, keep the dog for 12 to 16 yeas or more. What if in that time a human comes into your life with the same name?

Happened to a friend of mine, he got a girlfriend with the same name as the dog that he had already owned for about 4 or 5 years. They were both Maggie. He tried renaming the dog but it was very confusing because the dog would answer to both names. (The gf only to one lol).

thats to funny hahaha. Never really thought about that lol
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

You can make it work. Knew a girl named Sierra who ended up with a horse named Sierra. They just called her Sierra pony, plus context adds alot.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

You can make it work. Knew a girl named Sierra who ended up with a horse bames Sierra. They just called her Sierra pony, plus context adds alot.

Do horses recognize their own names? I truly have no idea. I guess I always thought just dogs and cats did

I think they are capable of it. When I worked in a riding school and the horses names were used frequently some of them seemed to know their name. They also learn words, many old school horses will walk, trot, or canter on command without ques from the rider.

I dont notice many privately owned horses responding to their name, but most people also dont use their name all the time and teach them to respond to it like you do with a dog. I definitely think they easily reconize different voices though, and will come to specific people. I have seen horses go to their owners who were talking, not even calling for their horse. They also usually come when they hear anyone who regularly feeds talking, because food :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Interesting. We have had dogs with human names that I suppose were uncommon enough that we never really had a conflict.
    But I also think we do not say people's hames as often as we do pet names or we give people nicknames so if you love a human name use it.
  • SorrowfulRaven81
    SorrowfulRaven81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ripley
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Goose
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,846 Member
    Options
    If and when I ever get the dog I want, I plan to name it Roadie.

It's not cute and probably wouldn't work for a poodle. Sorry. :(
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Give her a dog name ( sport, fido... whatever ) instead of a person's name (Elizabeth, Jennifer etc.).

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

I'm not a fan of a dog or other pet having a human name. .

Yep, I just now read this..... and I could not agree more.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Josie
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Ms wobbles
  • iwaannalookkgoodmfp
    iwaannalookkgoodmfp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    If and when I ever get the dog I want, I plan to name it Roadie.

It's not cute and probably wouldn't work for a poodle. Sorry. :(

Don't think that way! Every name is unique and it doesn't sound bad :)
  • mybassfishingirl
    mybassfishingirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Poo
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    Options
    Any resolution here?? What is pup's new name??
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, i just adopted a miniature poodle, she's two months old and i'm struggeling in naming her. Anyone has some creative and lovely names to suggest? She's apricot btw <3

Mini Poo

Minnie the Poo
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    Options
    That is cute!
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Toots
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member